Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been talking about what i wanted to do since halloween night of 2008. I have been looking around on here and thinking up some ideas of my own and i finally know what i want to add to my display for 2009.

The Deffinates
1 ground breaker made of a bucky torso w/ arms. All corpsed up and dressed in tattered clothes. I am also going to use real hair for this guy
1 grave digging bucky corpsed and dressed digging a grave.
1 caretaker bucky corpsed and dressed holding a lantern
1 fog chiller
3 Resident Evil dogs (depending on how the first one goes)

The Maybes
1 Static prop of my old costume from last year (freak N Monster creature reacher) to hold the candy bowl again.
Graveyard Fence
propane torches/lighting
Jeepers creeper scarecrow

I have one more thing that i am hoping to add but i would like to keep it a surprise until it gets closer to halloween. This will be my show stealer if i can get it built and looking good.

What about you guys? list your stuff similar to mine with your deffinates and your Maybes.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
still up in the air on a lot of things here....

See the dead tree with the bridhouses on it....well it's about 12 ft tall and I plan on making a papier mache pumpkin head to rest on top of it and build it out as a scarecrow

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have so many things on my list for this year and I seem to be continually adding, but so far, this is what I'm planning on:

1. A crypt w/ hovering ghost inside
2. Cemetary Fence
3. A wooden coffin
4. Various embellishments to my store bought tombstones
5. New/bigger pumpkin creature
6. JOL totem poles
7. Piles of skulls/bones
8. A small bridge to go across the ditch, into the cemetary (this is a maybe, but would be SO cool!)
9. More fog machines
10. Cemetary trees
11. Cemetary urns
12. Cemetary wreaths w/ dead flowers
13. Creepy paper mache tree for inside (this one is all ready in the construction stages =)

Yikes... as i said, the list goes on and on. Now, if I can get it all together in 248 days, I'll be happy =)

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
WHICH ONE?

At the school carnival, we're just basically improving the design.

YouTube - Laboratory

I had 20 days to design a concept and build that from the ground up. It was adequate, but not to my standards. (But much more than the school or kids were expecting. "We want a little spook alley. You know, maybe have those kids grab the grapes and pasta and stuff" RIIIIIIGHT.... First kids to come through: "It's probably just something stupid like grabbing grape eyeballs" LOL. Those first ones came through dozens of times...)

Fixing the sound effects so they can be heard better (I wound up with only an hour to test these, no surpise I wasn't happy with em).

Fixing/replacing the table that broke.

Pre-wiring the frames to make setup quicker.

Replacing the cage with a platform and chains.

Adding a device to make Fred Sit up (and scream) once the power is turned back on. (trick is can't be pneumatic)

General detail items. (lights and nobs and a cabinet for the power switches, etc)

Some easy projects to put on desks and tables.

For the Guild Wars Halloween Art Contest, we're building one of these.

I can set the rest of the scene with stuff already built.

To the yard, we're probably standing pat. Incorporate the above, likely replacing the totems. But, we're working towards NEXT year with a planned change of the entire concept. So, you might see some unique takes on spider victims from me this year, and we've already made a skull torch prototype that needs a little work for future ones...

...but that stuff actually won't be ADDED till 2010.

·
Registered
136 Posts
lot's of stuff. A new corpse. I have to keep it down because we have a halloween party and a bunch of 2 - 8 year olds come. My mom makes me. Last year, I turned the house in to a spider lair. It was epic. I made a bib spider too!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
hummmm what do i plan to add to my display ......ALOT lol because i am changing the hole display and theme for this year ...we have alot of work ahead this year ....lots of challenges too .

witches lots of witches , all busy doing something diffrent , some actually flying in the air (i hope we can achieve this one , should be really fun )
witches means , cauldron bubbling , potions , spells alot of details ...
haunted forest with trolls , ogres
fortune teller tent
pumpkin people
singing pumpkins
a diffrent twist on a cemetery with a pumpkin king in it
trying to maybe revamp the hearse into something to fit this theme like a pumpkin hayride display , wil see .....
a haunted talking tree (that should be fun too)
and many more .....

not a very scary display maybe , more on the fantasy side with a witch lair with the haunted forest and pumpkin people town like theme but one i am very fond of creating :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
well, Cinderella's carriage was made from a pumpkin, so you could go there
well your not far from what i wanted to do as my first idea ;) (not the cinderella one ) but you know the gemmy inflatable carriage pumpkin ? well thats what i am looking into right now and how too achieve this ,(probably with chicken wire and paper mache or monster mud) but i honnestly do not want to break the hearse appart to do this so might be a hole new project to build depending on funds for building supplies for this too....witches are the priority projects .

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been talking about what i wanted to do since halloween night of 2008. I have been looking around on here and thinking up some ideas of my own and i finally know what i want to add to my display for 2009.

The Deffinates
1 ground breaker made of a bucky torso w/ arms. All corpsed up and dressed in tattered clothes. I am also going to use real hair for this guy
1 grave digging bucky corpsed and dressed digging a grave.
1 caretaker bucky corpsed and dressed holding a lantern
1 fog chiller
3 Resident Evil dogs (depending on how the first one goes)

The Maybes
1 Static prop of my old costume from last year (freak N Monster creature reacher) to hold the candy bowl again.
Graveyard Fence
propane torches/lighting
Jeepers creeper scarecrow

I have one more thing that i am hoping to add but i would like to keep it a surprise until it gets closer to halloween. This will be my show stealer if i can get it built and looking good.

What about you guys? list your stuff similar to mine with your deffinates and your Maybes.
Hey Big Nick, here is a user video of the ground breaker bucky as it was configured to emerge in a correct angle from the earth.

The spine armature is a thick steel rod which responds well to the agressive bending that was needed to get this effect. When this project is complete, we will post his photos.

I'd like to see pictures of yours as well. I'd be happy to put it on our product website in a new section we are developing for the end users of our products.

Email me any good images or vid links you have and we will highlight your work!

Thanks, Jeff Nix - MrSkeleton.com

YouTube - MrSkeleton Max (Bucky) ground breaker skeleton

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff,

I will send you some of my pictures from last year. My bround breaker will be pretty similar to that on the youtube video. Maybe not as extreme but pretty close.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I generally do a different theme every year, well, I have for the last 11 years anyway without repeating any themes. I end up building new props and repurposing old props for the new theme. This year I'm doing classic Universal Studios Monster themes, with a bit of a twist.

So much to do...so few zombies to enslave and train to build the stuff for me. ;)

Eric

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I'm hoping all you guys and gals get your projects done in time so that I can see the pictures and copy your ideas :D

Another goal of mine for this year is a funeral carriage...instead of horses, I'm going to have pumpkin reapers pulling it...just have to figure out how to make the pumkin reapers look like they're pulling the rope like this fireman

·
Registered
165 Posts
Since this is only my second year there's lots of things I still need. My wish list is a mile long so I'm going to have to prioritize it. I'm thinking at least one goundbreaker corpse and lots more skulls and tombstones are a must. There's also a monster mud grim reaper that's pretty high on my list. I'm really wanting to try some animated stuff but being electronically-impaired it may not happen this year. I think I've got a good foundation to grow on and can't wait to get started. This weekend maybe?

·
Halloween AA Member
1,183 Posts
My biggest hope is to make an actual cemetery pillars with an arch. Having a baby in 3 weeks so I hope i can get this done this summer. I have big ideas in my head, but with having a new born and a 2 year old. I don't know how practical it will be to get everything that I want. I used a blow up archway last year and I wasn't pleased, I want something more realistic.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hubby and I finally decided to skip trying a theme this year, and just add to the whole Haunted House, Graveyard, Pumpkin Patch that we did last year. (Mainly because we couldn't agree on a theme, LOL)

So we plan on cranking out a bunch of pumpkins for the haunted pumpkin patch side of the yard, some kind of huge warped monster to stand by the house, extend our fence to cover the entire outline of our yard, and columns... possibly an arch. He also wants to do a Crank or a Peppers Ghost, and some talking skeletons, that will interact with the TOTs.

248 days, ya say? :eek:

PS. Awesome idea about the pumpkin reapers pulling the carriage, Scatterbrains!

·
Reaper Queen
8,798 Posts
well, am thinking of adding a lab, with docter Frankenstein and his monster, maybe Igor at the doorway, it just has to be sturdy but very easy to set up and haul. also add to the graveyard, and add more animation to the props I do have, reconfigure them,. and also add to and upgrade the witches. Make a big bat,. try to animate it, I have alot more plans, but these seem to be the ones I will be able to get done. so will start there!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Projects for this year:
- coffin
- tombstones with sayings/epitaphs
- need to do some type of lighting

Considering last year, I just did not have time to all of my ideas. Jusst I am starting with a smaller list, then when I finish these items, I do some other ideas that I got from the forum.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Last year was my first attempt at many things and most of them turned out pretty good. Because it was such an ambitious direction there were many things that were just thrown together. So this year I'm going to sweep through the haunt and graveyard and up the effects.
Graveyard: All month I looked at it and thought it was missing two things. One I knew what it was but the other eluded me. The one thing I knew it needed was animation. Luckily, Dave in the Grave's Peeping Tombstone will be the perfect solution. Plus, I get to make another tombstone :D

I was at Michael's when I realized what the other element the graveyard needed....pumpkins! and the color boost they give. So, I bought 9 foam pumpkins they had on clearance and will be adding them in spots in the graveyard.

Other elements that will be added is a fog chiller tombstone, a Bucky resting next to a tombstone and lightning effects.

Driveway: I have a long side driveway that is on a hill and it will be the perfect place to have an archy-type entrance. I will make two mirror opposite Pumpkinrot scarecrows (pumpkin heads) holding lanterns.

Haunt Entrance: It totally needs cement/foam pillar arches. :)

Forest room: Last year this was terrible. No scares, just more of a spooky place to walk-through. NOT THIS YEAR! It will come alive with killer bushes, spitting snakes and fire!

Vampire Room: The BIG change for this year. The DMX coffin is out and the DMX Vampiress Tank is in! There will be a seductive vampiress in a vat of red liquid who is mesmerizingly rotating. Then, Wham! a distraction scare. Not sure how yet but it'll be good.

So, that's the master plan all laid out. Can't wait to get started.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts