Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
…and instead of the normal 5-8 pm apparently my city council decided on 5-7. That’s right, 2 hours. And I’m sitting here looking at the piles of lighting and cords I just bought realizing it won’t even be dark when Halloween is over.

Total 🤬! Insert whatever you need to there for my low opinion of the reduced time.

Is anyone else experiencing this nonsense?

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My town is allowing Trick or Treating from 4 pm to 7 pm. So I'm in the same boat. All of the lights and special effects wont matter at all in the daylight. What is the point in doing all of this work and investing in all of the toys?👹
I’m trying not to feel EXACTLY how you feel, but this is unfortunately where I’m landing as well. We all in this forum love Halloween and we do so each in our own way but we also want to share that with people. Having a dark evening sky really helps for those of us who do yard displays.

I know I’ll probably be in the minority when I say this, but if we moved TOT’ing ongoing to Saturday but had good hours I wouldn’t be disappointed. I’ve always said Halloween is the one holiday that brings all my neighbors to my door for a little fun.

There’s only been one post so far on my town’s Facebook where someone is like… that’s it?!?! Guess we will see how it plays out.

@Grizzelda have you seen anything in response on a community Facebook in your area?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My small town does trick or treating in the square, downtown, before dark. I've never lived anywhere that they mandated the personal hours though. I'd keep my lights on til 9-9:30 regardless of what the city council says.
I’m still debating what to do. Rain is still in the forecast. If we post on our community Facebook that our display will be up from 7-8 they can’t stop me really. I’ve seen posts about yard sales, lemonade stands and everything else so really it’s no different.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in northern Illinois and our town is doing the usual 4 to 8 and at 8 15 the streets are always empty. I agree 7 is to early
4 to 8 is amazing! That allows for daylight hours and some darkness. Glad your town is doing it right!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My hometown never posted hours, the town we live in now does. I thought it sounded awfully dictatorish when I first heard about it, and still don't like it. They blow the old fire siren at 6:00 to let their minions know it's ok to start, then blow it again at 8:00 to send all of the sheeple scurrying obediently back to their dens. Can you tell I find it annoying? We leave our decorations and pumpkins lit until the timer shuts them off and the candles burn out. As long as there's candy left, stop on by!

·
Registered
52 Posts
My town has always kept a 6-8 ToT time which always worked for me. It was even better when the time change was the last Sunday in October. It was getting dark at the beginning of trick-or-treat and had optimum time for lighting effects.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Same here usually 6 to 8, was better before they moved the daylight hours. I'm partially in the woods so my house gets darker sooner than most so a plus. Dont usually do this at home but at the campground I use a shelter as TOT is 6 to 7:30 to combat the light and keep stuff from the rain.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I just checked on my township, and we don't have anything listed regarding "hours" for Halloween. I think the only time they got involved was during Hurricane Sandy, when everything was a madhouse and many, many developments had no electricity, lots of trees down, and just a lot of storm damage. The township "moved" Halloween to 11/3, if I remember correctly. And honestly, it was the right call then. We actually got into the local paper then, because we live on a corner and had put up a big sign advertising the date change and that we would be open for TOTers on 11/3. I matted and framed the article & picture for DH since there was a photo of him on the front page while he was putting up decorations.

But that said, I really don't think many people around here (maybe with younger kids) would follow a lot of Halloween hours if they were mandated. There seems to be a natural slow-down by 9pm/930pm, but usually we still get some older kids or groups, and we sit out on our driveway with the firepit and fog machines going until much later. If someone came by our house until midnight, they'd probably get candy! LOL!

I hope you can not only still find Halloween happiness earlier on, but that maybe a few people will fudge the rules a bit so you can really enjoy the night!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,565 Posts
I'm in Illinois and they have been giving us the 5-7 time frame for years, now. A huge amount of our display is lighting, so most of it can't be seen when the majority of the kids are out. I hate it. (We do have most of our lighting/display out all October, so that can get seen by people driving by, but we have some things that are only out/lit on Halloween night, still.)

This year, they just announced they are, also, moving trick or treat to the 30th. I am not happy. First daylight trick or treat for only 2 hours, now it's not even on Halloween? Sigh.

When I was a kid, we didn't have hours or date changes...

·
Registered
791 Posts
What the actual fu€k??? How can a town regulate what time you're going to walk around your neighborhood??? My town starts around 530 and goes til it's over. It's never gotten out of hand. The cops block off traffic so people are walking everywhere. It is breathtaking. Oh people run out of candy. But that's expected because there are just so many. The police and fire department throw themselves into the fun too! It usually trails off around 10 or 11. It may be time to move girl!!!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I honestly wonder if the change to dedicated hours is to appease parents. Totally guessing. When I was a kid, your mom handed you a pillow case and you ran out of the door like a crazy person and came back when you couldn’t carry anymore. Now I rarely see kids without parents. Does it really come down to parents not wanting to go? 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
433 Posts
We don't have that kind of dictatorship in our town, but if I lived where the OP lives, I'd have my lights on and full sized candy bars available until 10pm! This overreach of local governance "for your safety" is becoming ridiculous. Next thing they'll mandate is reflective helmets and knee/elbow pads "just in case" somebody falls down

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,565 Posts
We keep everything on will always give candy to any who may come after the 7pm end time...but it tends to taper off even before then, now, depressingly...everyone just follows the times, or go to next cities over who may have the 8pm finish time.
I miss how it used to be...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts