Halloween Forum banner

121 - 140 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My biggest display back in 2011 was really the pinnacle of what I wanted to do for years. I planned so much for that one that by the time Halloween day arrived I was stressed and a mess. I also regret to this day that I put my wife through some hell too, even yelling at one point. After that day I vowed never to get that way again about something as insignificant as holiday decorating, a thing that should be fun in the first place. I went smaller for some years to make it easier. As the display is growing again I also keep in mind that no one even starts coming around till 5 anyway. There's time. If it doesn't get done who cares, certainly not them. Gotta keep things in perspective and not sweat the small stuff. I preach that to my daughter and in terms of holiday decorating I practice what I preach. That goes for Christmas too.

Here's that stressful 2011 haunt that we did really enjoy when it was all set up. Quite a fun night.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm fine, it's mostly gone. I took the day off, figuring I could get some things done and spent the whole day in bed.
Seems like it’s that time of year. My son stayed home today and created a mound of snotty tissues. I’m avoiding him like the plague. I swear when you send children to school they go up there, touch everything, don’t wash their hands and lick each other for good measure. 😷

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My biggest display back in 2011 was really the pinnacle of what I wanted to do for years. I planned so much for that one that by the time Halloween day arrived I was stressed and a mess. I also regret to this day that I put my wife through some hell too, even yelling at one point. After that day I vowed never to get that way again about something as insignificant as holiday decorating, a thing that should be fun in the first place. I went smaller for some years to make it easier. As the display is growing again I also keep in mind that no one even starts coming around till 5 anyway. There's time. If it doesn't get done who cares, certainly not them. Gotta keep things in perspective and not sweat the small stuff. I preach that to my daughter and in terms of holiday decorating I practice what I preach. That goes for Christmas too.

Here's that stressful 2011 haunt that we did really enjoy when it was all set up. Quite a fun night.

You definitely did a lot! Well done! I agree with you that if you get so put out decorating that you’re miserable it’s so not worth it. After all, we all do this cause we remember that thrill of standing on a porch trick or treating! That kid lives on in these displays so it better be enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hit an acrylic paint wall last night while painting letters for my sign. And for some reason none of the color combos are working for me. 😠

·
Registered
521 Posts
Okay, I officially got stressed today. We stopped at Lowes to pick up the paint for our columns. I wanted them to get painted today so I could age them tomorrow and be done. I guess while we were in the store, someone tried to mess with the car and it went into security shutdown. It locked up tight and nothing could get it to start. We called AAA, but while we were sitting in the parking lot, I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and by the time AAA showed up, the car started up again. Wasted my day that I wanted to be painting. Stupid car.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Okay, I officially got stressed today. We stopped at Lowes to pick up the paint for our columns. I wanted them to get painted today so I could age them tomorrow and be done. I guess while we were in the store, someone tried to mess with the car and it went into security shutdown. It locked up tight and nothing could get it to start. We called AAA, but while we were sitting in the parking lot, I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and by the time AAA showed up, the car started up again. Wasted my day that I wanted to be painting. Stupid car.
How awful! I’m hoping they didn’t do anything to your car. We moved a few years ago and we constantly had people trying to get into our car. Can you get them done tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Starting to feel slightly stressed. Had it slightly under control. Had my list getting knocked out and hit a creative wall today cause I don’t know how to mount the moon. Building the table I need tomorrow so I can start painting it and getting that done. The moon and my last sign are all that’s left. Got the front porch done. So that’s my win. Oh wait, still gotta make treat bags! Ha!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Putting decorations up the night before - That's awesome!

I started 3 months ago building in my backyard. Still....not....finished! I'm seriously insane for doing this for a week or two of enjoyment. This photo does not show the side yard (which is 90% complete). However, it's some party!

See my crazy at https://www.halloweenforum.com/threads/2019-orgahouse-carnevil.202579/

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Putting decorations up the night before - That's awesome!

I started 3 months ago building in my backyard. Still....not....finished! I'm seriously insane for doing this for a week or two of enjoyment. This photo does not show the side yard (which is 90% complete). However, it's some party!

See my crazy at https://www.halloweenforum.com/threads/2019-orgahouse-carnevil.202579/

View attachment 721370
Your set up has me feeling like I need “Yard Haunting for Dummies”! Read through your thread and it’s pretty substantial and amazing. The pneumatics are cool and so over my head! I can totally see how you’d be feeling overwhelmed cause that’s not a haunt, it’s a park!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #130

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I would think that this post, would be Front and Centre each and everyday as we get closer and closer to the Big Night!
We just got home from being away on Holidays for the past Two weeks, and I Toss and Turn, all night long while STRESSING about "Everything" that I have to do.
To make matters worse.....our weather really really SUCKS right now, with nothing but pouring down RAIN!
What with working 5 - 6 days per week, and other family commitments, there is only so much Time, to do the things that I am wanting to do.
Yes......I do bring this onto myself, as I should have attacked this, MONTHS ago....but....I didn't and now I am paying for it.
What ever gets done...will get done, as they say.
BUT......I am wanting to do sooooo much more.
Every year I have Fantasies of starting on my Halloween stuff, way back in March....but once our Spring is here.....its time for Spring Skiing.....Cycling.....in May the Harleys come out....in June the Boat comes out....and then in July it is the Lake each and every weekend.
August is for the Sturgis Bike Week and September is for enjoying the rest of the Summer, before it is all gone.
There is just No Time, if you are wanting to enjoy your Life, doing other things.
Did I mention taking off 6 weeks of Holidays per year..and being away?
There is just NO TIME for some one with an active Life Style!
Yup.....Im FEELING the STRESS! LOL

·
Registered
284 Posts
Only WE know what wasn't completely, exactly, perfectly correct. The TOTers, they don't know we only put out 50 pumpkins instead of the "normal" 55. They don't know the fogger, clogged 2 hours ago or the batteries are out of power. To the causuals we ALL go over the TOP! Something to try to remember and I would add more, but I'm so behind and time is running out and I've got to start adding power and lights as they MUST go on oct 1st without fail!!!! LOL
Jerseyscare

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have officially given up, Leave for campground Sunday. Then on top of that there might be a State Government shutdown so if that happens have to go back home and wait until budget passes and park reopens so setting up and taking things out wont happen until we go back out. Then had major issues with car on Friday and between weather and working on it weekend gone and weeknights are a no go for my hours like today probably a 12 hour day with a 1hr drive home. Nothing is sorted out and not sure where everything is as last year I packed up in the rain so things went where they would fit, even with storing things at home. Will have an interesting weeknd, hopefully no rain, but it probably will.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Only WE know what wasn't completely, exactly, perfectly correct. The TOTers, they don't know we only put out 50 pumpkins instead of the "normal" 55. They don't know the fogger, clogged 2 hours ago or the batteries are out of power. To the causuals we ALL go over the TOP! Something to try to remember and I would add more, but I'm so behind and time is running out and I've got to start adding power and lights as they MUST go on oct 1st without fail!!!! LOL
Jerseyscare
Very, Very True, I'm usually touching up lighting just before things start sometimes even don't even make that. But I usually have such a crowd hard to do, plus anymore I look at it as I have the second week to do more which I usually do a little more.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Jerseyscare

I agree.......that "WE" are the "ONLY ONES" that know, what is there, and what is not there.
"We" are the "ONLY ONES" that know if we finished all of our Projects.
"We" are the "ONLY ONES" that know if we got that last coat of paint on the Coffin.
But it is "WE", who will be the "ONLY Judges"... as to how "we" did, when it comes to what "we" had Planned, and what "we" had Delivered.
Yes.....of course, whatever we do, will always be accepted and appreciated, as going "Above and Beyond"of most out there, but.... for "US".......that is never ever good enough, until we get it "ALL" done as to the script.
We just got back from Holidays to a Sunny Resort, and everyone there ,had a different view or value or standard, as to what they were comfortable looking like, while being in the Public Eye.
For myself, my Hair and Makeup and Jewelry, had to be done and on ....every single day, before I would ever consider heading out to the Pool.
Where as others, could really care less.... how they looked to others, and that was the more practiced LOOK.
They just didn't care or don't care......how their Personal display looked to others, and that is Fine.....but for me.....I like to know, that I always take Pride in how I look, no matter where I am at.
But....once again, that is what I expect from my self and from my own Standards.
The same holds True for Halloween, I am not going to just settle for just any LOOK.
I am going to always do my Best.....to make sure, that our Halloween Haunt always LOOKS as good as it can be.
Both of these LOOKS, whether it be your own personal LOOK or the LOOK of your own Halloween Haunt....it just requires putting in an Effort.
Some people can just throw up their arms in the air, and say "OH WELL"..."There is always Next Year" ..So take this LOOK or Leave It, because that is as much EFFORT as I am going to put into it.
I really wish, that I could be that way, but.....its just not in my own DNA.
That is where the STRESS Factor comes in, the STRESS comes from our own personal Expectations.
Whether those expectations are reachable or not......we all do our best to LOOK the Best that we can, when being viewed by the Public.
Doing nothing at all, or doing very very little, is always the easiest thing to do.
But actually CARING....is what takes the Effort and Energy.... that most do not want to put in.
We are "ALL" on this Halloween Forum, because we "ALL" Care!
Yes......the Little Kids will never ever know the difference.
Yes......the Parents will never ever know the difference.
BUT......"WE" will "ALL" Know the difference!
And that is where the Stress comes into Play.
Am I Stressed Out about it?
HELL.......YES!!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have only had 4 days since the beginning of September where it has been cool, enough for me to work outside. Can't even repair stuff because it's too hot most nights and we have another week, at least, of insane hot temps. I am despondent.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have only had 4 days since the beginning of September where it has been cool, enough for me to work outside. Can't even repair stuff because it's too hot most nights and we have another week, at least, of insane hot temps. I am despondent.
We've had great temperatures but an incredible amount of rain for September here in Oregon. I've been trying to get my garage cleaned out so I can set up for Halloween. I also need dry days to spray paint and use Great Stuff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's a cool 66°F here today in Northwest Indiana. My wife took the day off of work to take one of our kids to a dental consultation, leaving me to get out in the garage to work ALL DAY. Glorious!

121 - 140 of 179 Posts