Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
We just moved into a house we had built this June...and a neighborhood that is around 10 years old, and MUCH MORE conducive to Halloween yard haunts, with tons of kids for trick-or-treating. I have so much front and side yard (I live on a curve), that I'll be spending the next five to ten years building stuff just to fill it!

I get stressed if I don't start working on stuff early, so I took advantage of some sales, got a ton of materials, and have gotten to work on the haunt for the new yard.

I managed to build around eighty feet of cemetery fencing (following many others who have made them out of 1x2 furring strips and 1/2" PVC), complete with finials. Still have to paint them, but they are DONE! Next up is a fence column or two with lantern lights on top, then rebuilding my skeletal grave diggers that got destroyed six years ago on a monsoon of a Halloween. I am pumped!

I wish you all much luck, motivation, and less stress for this Halloween season!

·
Registered
93 Posts
As of now I'm not stressed at all. If anything I might be working on my Halloween a little earlier than usual.

Last year I hastily set up my animatronics and stuff in the garage for a small haunted house type thing since it decided to rain on Halloween. It went over so well that I will be doing the haunted house through the garage again regardless of weather. Graveyard and gargantuan spider, etc will stay out in the yard but my main stuff will be inside. I figure if everything is out in the yard as I had planned to do last year, they see everything coming up the street and it's not really as scary then. Now they have no idea what they are walking in to. Since it's the plan this year, I have time to do it up much better by making walls and everything. Last year it was animatronics mixed with my usual car and tool garage. This year I'll be hiding that stuff a bit to make sure the focus is on the stuff I want everyone to see.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm just so darn excited! I love this time of year! All of my friends have been wonderful too....they finally get why I am so giddy all the time. I get constant questions about what I am going to be doing this year.

Goals:
Laser swamp - going to be contained on a corner of our front porch
Spider web covered entrance to house - using the frame from our temporary Harbor Freight garage and beef netting
Putting animated props on a sequence - have 4-channel prop controllers and pir sensors to wire up

Can't wait to see everyone's pictures and videos of what they have done!

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
499 Posts
Stress isn't the right word. I love building the props, shopping the stores for Halloween stuff and watching the forum get busy. But it seems there is always stuff that pops up to take away an evening, day or weekend from my build. 'Normal' people just don't understand it. I do an Oktoberfest weekend every year, and as much as I love getting away and enjoying some quality German Bier, I mark it as a weekend lost. Had to go out of town for my Nephew's wedding = weekend lost. I'm Scout leader and we have a huge fund raiser / hike / Campout in October = weekend lost. Going away this weekend to the Michigan U.P. for 'rest and relaxation' = weekend lost.

I'm a very focus, task oriented 'planning' person. Even when I'm getting away for a good time, it interrupts my plan which bothers me. I can't help it. Not to mention, all my friends start asking in July (with a joking tone) "Have you started planning your Halloween decorations yet". I just smile and chuckle, when I want to slap them up the head and go "look dummy, I started planning this years decorations on Nov 1st LAST YEAR, just like every other committed Haunter"

The fact is, when I'm planning, building, painting, cutting and assembling my gruesome creations I find it relaxing. I usually have music over the speakers or headphones, I'm in the zone. I'm at peace with my props and fellow mad scientists. So my upcoming Haunt and all the work that goes into it is not stressful, everything that gets in the way of it is!

"A bad day haunting is still better than a good day working!"

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Stress isn't the right word. I love building the props, shopping the stores for Halloween stuff and watching the forum get busy. But it seems there is always stuff that pops up to take away an evening, day or weekend from my build. 'Normal' people just don't understand it. I do an Oktoberfest weekend every year, and as much as I love getting away and enjoying some quality German Bier, I mark it as a weekend lost. Had to go out of town for my Nephew's wedding = weekend lost. I'm Scout leader and we have a huge fund raiser / hike / Campout in October = weekend lost. Going away this weekend to the Michigan U.P. for 'rest and relaxation' = weekend lost.

I'm a very focus, task oriented 'planning' person. Even when I'm getting away for a good time, it interrupts my plan which bothers me. I can't help it. Not to mention, all my friends start asking in July (with a joking tone) "Have you started planning your Halloween decorations yet". I just smile and chuckle, when I want to slap them up the head and go "look dummy, I started planning this years decorations on Nov 1st LAST YEAR, just like every other committed Haunter"

The fact is, when I'm planning, building, painting, cutting and assembling my gruesome creations I find it relaxing. I usually have music over the speakers or headphones, I'm in the zone. I'm at peace with my props and fellow mad scientists. So my upcoming Haunt and all the work that goes into it is not stressful, everything that gets in the way of it is!

This is so me too.

I have spent the past 35 or so years of my life doing for others and doing so little for myself, which I do not resent at all, but now I need more me time especially now that my kids are all grown and have either left or are leaving the nest. Working on my builds is more for me than anyone else. I am happy to share my builds with others so they can enjoy them too, but they are mostly for me. I try and plan builds that I know I should be able to complete between Nov. 1st, and Oct. 31st. though I don't usually start building until around Feb. I even try to figure in time I will not be able to work on builds like the occasional weekends away, or working on other projects, (like gardening or doing some minor remodeling of the house) and normal life things when deciding what I want to build. So when unexpected events come up that I had not planned for it stresses me out as that is time away from working on my builds. I know that others will not know if I didn't get something completed, but I would know and it would be disappointing to me.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
@HauntedWyo "don't usually start building until around Feb"
- This made me smile. I started a build on Valentines day a few years ago, and everybody thought I was joking.
If I don't start in February, then I am behind before I even start a build. This year I wasn't able to start until April and I was already stressing out about having enough time to complete things. People think I am crazy to be working on Halloween stuff on Valentine's Day, or Easter, or St. Patty's Day or any of the Holidays between Feb. and Oct. They think I'm even crazier when I ask for gifts such as motors, or certain tools, or building supplies for props for Christmas, V-Day, and Mother's Day. I don't need another bathrobe, I need a deer motor. I don't need another rose bush, I need a hot knife, I don't want a fancy dinner out and a bouquet of flowers, I'd like some lumber or wig heads instead.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dunno if I'd call it stressed, but I'm a bit peeved at this Dorian fellow for quite possibly ruining my plans for some extra days off I have coming up. The hurricane is slated to make landfall in mid-Florida on Monday. We're clear up on the Panhandle, so who knows if it will eventually make its way across the Gulf of Mexico towards us or not. Even the vague threat makes me hesitant to drag out all my haunt gear as I'd planned for those days off.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Stressed...idk. Worried, yes. I've been having a flair up of one of my illnesses this past month and I've finally started getting better, but it's always iffy. I'm not able to see the doctor till the end of Sept so, fairly worried about how many "good" days I'll have to run out and hunt stuff down at stores. I had a good day yesterday and hit a local Dollar Tree. They had some stuff out which I promptly bought but IMO they still didn't have everything up so I guess that's a good sign that I haven't missed anything by being so sick this past month.

But maybe I'm not stressed out yet because I don't really "do" anything past decorate a few rooms. I don't do a haunt and I don't decorate the yard and house. I suppose if I did I'd be more stressed out because I'd have a thousand things to do.

As someone who often stresses and worries over things and has various issues with going out and doing things, try and relax, take it slow and know your limits. We all love Halloween, so make sure you enjoy it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I started shopping the day after Halloween for this years display and have been doing it all year.. The time has gone by so quick. Not yet stressing but I do have a ton to build. (70 more feet of intricate fencing and building a full size UFO.) YIKES.. Thankfully, I have most of the supplies needed but we are doing some house remodeling as well so that is taking up so much of my time. I do not put out at least 50 percent of my things until Halloween morning due to rain. I have so many animatronics, fog machines and other things that would get destroyed by the rain. So when 8:00 p.m. comes on Halloween night (Our TOT hours are from 5-8) , I pull in all of that in to our garage..So much work..

·
499 Posts
We just moved into a house we had built this June...and a neighborhood that is around 10 years old, and MUCH MORE conducive to Halloween yard haunts, with tons of kids for trick-or-treating. I have so much front and side yard (I live on a curve), that I'll be spending the next five to ten years building stuff just to fill it!

I get stressed if I don't start working on stuff early, so I took advantage of some sales, got a ton of materials, and have gotten to work on the haunt for the new yard.

I managed to build around eighty feet of cemetery fencing (following many others who have made them out of 1x2 furring strips and 1/2" PVC), complete with finials. Still have to paint them, but they are DONE! Next up is a fence column or two with lantern lights on top, then rebuilding my skeletal grave diggers that got destroyed six years ago on a monsoon of a Halloween. I am pumped!

I wish you all much luck, motivation, and less stress for this Halloween season!
@OldLordSkull - a little of the topic here, but I'm in the middle of building 80' of fencing myself. I've had a running update on another thread. Feel free to drop in some pics and updates over there. Would love to see your take on the build. https://www.halloweenforum.com/threads/fences-and-posts.46994/page-4#post-2531594

·
499 Posts
I think when we say STRESS, @Myra Mains Haunters you are totally right that we all see that word a little differently. I know when I’m stressed, I don’t function well. The clock is ticking, no doubts about that. It does seem like I was seriously counting down the days a week ago going wow, Halloween is like 150 days away! Now I’m thinking I need to get my backside in gear.

When I think of Halloween, I always think of it as this major puzzle. Like how to do I get it all to work and be cohesive? Yes, in the end I’m just putting crap in my yard, but man it’s such a short window when you do the “Pop-Up Halloween”. I think for all of us, big and small haunters, we just want a display we can be proud of. And also... please don’t let it suck.

We were in the garage last night sorting and planning. One thing I did realize last night was in my brain I thought I had all these projects to do. In reality, I think we bought so much last year I have misjudged all that needs done. Made me wonder if some of the slightly anxious feelings are just poor planning. I’ve narrowed it down to two major projects (major to me anyways cause I don’t know that we have the skills to pull it off) and one smaller one that’s just me painting more spooky fruit. They might not be much to others but I don’t want to screw them up. Crossing fingers for success. 🤞🏻
Hate to break it to you, but Halloween is only 62 days away!

·
Registered
127 Posts

You said it exactly, each year say starting earlier but crap always comes up and work on call 24/7 doesn't help. I work long days with an hour + drive each way and construction has been really bad so even longer so weeknights are pretty much out. Then the wife doesn't help wanting to go places. Last weekend camping, this weekend insistent that we go to the zoo and to the beach, next weekend starting Thursday wants to camp again. Need to a bunch of work to my car as been taking hers in a couple of weeks, she needs to take grandkids to preschool so she needs her car back. Then after me about going through my halloween stuff to figure out what I want to take out to the campground so I can leave other stuff at home. I know this part she is trying to think of me but not wanting to go places. I really need to get the shelter up that I use and do some testing with the fogger and chiller which need to be redone, as between the big fogger and the 2 dragons I had way to much and had a couple of whiteouts as it wasn't dissipating like it should have.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm stressed. I always have these grand ideas but it is so hard to execute them by yourself. I love building props. Even though I'm new to it I think they are coming out pretty good. Life just gets in the way sometimes. Back to school with the kids, one of them being college. I think things are really starting to settle. I just have to find some time and get it done.

·
499 Posts
You said it exactly, each year say starting earlier but crap always comes up and work on call 24/7 doesn't help. I work long days with an hour + drive each way and construction has been really bad so even longer so weeknights are pretty much out. Then the wife doesn't help wanting to go places. Last weekend camping, this weekend insistent that we go to the zoo and to the beach, next weekend starting Thursday wants to camp again. Need to a bunch of work to my car as been taking hers in a couple of weeks, she needs to take grandkids to preschool so she needs her car back. Then after me about going through my halloween stuff to figure out what I want to take out to the campground so I can leave other stuff at home. I know this part she is trying to think of me but not wanting to go places. I really need to get the shelter up that I use and do some testing with the fogger and chiller which need to be redone, as between the big fogger and the 2 dragons I had way to much and had a couple of whiteouts as it wasn't dissipating like it should have.
Understand the 24/7 on call and commute. Live in NW Indiana, take the train into Chicago almost every day. 1.5 hours each way.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

The is the best explanation of Halloween stress!
Very well said! LOL

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What is "ghost fruit"? I have to know! Are you painting fake fruit glow-in-the-dark or for black light f/x?
Basically our idea was to incorporate the fall harvest into a more spooky way with our witches. So, if a witch was harvesting, what would be funny to find? Think harvest baskets with her. I found an image of gourds cut to look like ghosts so I bought some faux pears, painted them white, and added black eyes and mouths. Now I have ghost fruit. I hadn’t considered a black light for them but since they’re white I’m sure they wouldn’t look bad. Thanks for adding an idea.

41 - 60 of 176 Posts