Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 183 Posts

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,403 Posts
It is that STRESS......that makes it FUN for some of us.
I get that. I totally get that.

Thanks to this thread I got a a bunch of things done or nearly done yesterday. I've got 3 deadlines coming up so that helps. I'm in the local fire department's Auxiliary & I make stuff for the local fire dept. to sell at their breakfasts & dinners & we've got a spaghetti dinner Sept. 7 & a roast beef & shrimp dinner Oct. 12 so I'm finishing stuff for that.

Painted some stuff for those 2 things that I've had for a couple of years, mostly just small Michaels wooden things, but still, it feels good to be done with all but putting my name on them.

ALWAYS sign your work kids, you never know who might be interested later.

I'm now getting ready to go outside & do stuff because it's another beautiful day here in MD so I'm gonna weed my herb garden, clean up some planters to get them ready for mums, & enjoy being outside before going back to the paint pit!

Yep, there's already mums out in stores. Even though it's really too early for those for me. I want them to be blooming in October so even if you get ones that aren't blooming they'll be spent by the big day. But I'm still going to pull up some stuff so all I gotta do is drop 'em in.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think when we say STRESS, @Myra Mains Haunters you are totally right that we all see that word a little differently. I know when I’m stressed, I don’t function well. The clock is ticking, no doubts about that. It does seem like I was seriously counting down the days a week ago going wow, Halloween is like 150 days away! Now I’m thinking I need to get my backside in gear.

When I think of Halloween, I always think of it as this major puzzle. Like how to do I get it all to work and be cohesive? Yes, in the end I’m just putting crap in my yard, but man it’s such a short window when you do the “Pop-Up Halloween”. I think for all of us, big and small haunters, we just want a display we can be proud of. And also... please don’t let it suck.

We were in the garage last night sorting and planning. One thing I did realize last night was in my brain I thought I had all these projects to do. In reality, I think we bought so much last year I have misjudged all that needs done. Made me wonder if some of the slightly anxious feelings are just poor planning. I’ve narrowed it down to two major projects (major to me anyways cause I don’t know that we have the skills to pull it off) and one smaller one that’s just me painting more spooky fruit. They might not be much to others but I don’t want to screw them up. Crossing fingers for success. 🤞🏻

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm starting to stress a bit. I have been working on prop builds since April in between all the life things that happen and I still have so much to finish and time is running short and I still have lots of life things going on that makes my time even shorter.

The prop building doesn't have me feeling burned out, some of the life things has me feeling burned out. The prop building helps me gain some sense of sanity because they are but a few things that I feel like I have some control over and when I can get something finished it gives me such a great sense of accomplishment.

I need my prop building time and I need to get the things I set out to build finished for both my sanity and a feeling of accomplishment.
I totally agree with you, that working on our Halloween props and displays, is where we get a great deal of satisfaction from, while it lets us escape to a much Happier place.
Dealing with the Daily life issues, is what we all do, but....only us Halloween Addicts can truly know, the pleasure that we all get, when we are thinking about , Planning and working on our Haunts.
There will never ever a Halloween Burn Out for me, what with being a Little Kid at Heart......I look forward to Halloween all year long, from the moment that we get that last Little Knock on our door on Halloween Night.....right up until we get that very first Little Knock on our door, the following year!
But.....it you want to talk about "WORK" Burn Out......you have come to the right place! LOL
When is the next Lottery going to take place....and for how much? hahaha

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I think of it as more of a chess match and being as strategic as possible. I have so many speed cutting techniques that allow me to take a few steps back and breathe. I write down everything that worked and didn't. I pack the things that need tweaking last so I get to them first. I start building stuff around the 60day left mark. I keep all my work bench areas clean. I start testing stuff around the 14day left. It is so routine to me now.

I would seriously be stressed leaving my stuff up for more then that night. I would worry all the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am feeling like I need to get moving. We always host a Halloween party the last weekend in October and I have not ordered the invites or thought about the games. Everyone loves the games and it’s hard to come up with original ones.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
'I would seriously be stressed leaving my stuff up for more then that night.I would worry all the time.
I could and can relate to that quote above from Industen.
Vandalism is always a concern for all of us.
But....when something gets stolen or abused, I just figure, that it is Kids being Kids.....as we all were.
Man.....I can't tell you, how Bad we were as Kids.....but back then, there were not these really cool Haunts as we have now, but there were just Pumpkins galore to abuse and Blow Up with our Firecrackers! lol
So......I always try to do everything in my powers to limit the Theft and Abuse, by Building and putting up my Spooky Halloween Fence around my entire Haunt.
I also run some Wire around the inside of my Haunt , with a sign that says CAUTION......Electric Fence is Activated. LOL
So far, it seems to have really worked, while getting a few chuckles at the same time.
We put things in our Grave Yard that are easy to replace or difficult to Steal
All of our Coffins weigh a TON.......sooooo Good Luck with stealing a few of them!
Hey....I am flattered if someone likes our stuff enough, to risk getting Electrocuted for it! LOL
Kids will be Kids!
As we all were at one time.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
For those of you who put your decor up and take down the day of, I can totally understand why you do especially if you live in areas where vandalism and theft is pretty high. You put so much of your time and money into your props that it would be heartbreaking if something were to happen to them. I can see how stressful that can be trying to get everything placed and the lights and such set just right and not really having the time to see how it all works or looks before TOTs come knocking on your door. I am sure that many of you wished you could put your stuff out weeks in advance and allow everyone who ventures past your place plenty of time to enjoy the work you put into your displays without worry of someone carting a prop off, or causing damage. So much talent on this forum deserves to be long enjoyed by others.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
For those of you who put your decor up and take down the day of, I can totally understand why you do especially if you live in areas where vandalism and theft is pretty high. You put so much of your time and money into your props that it would be heartbreaking if something were to happen to them. I can see how stressful that can be trying to get everything placed and the lights and such set just right and not really having the time to see how it all works or looks before TOTs come knocking on your door. I am sure that many of you wished you could put your stuff out weeks in advance and allow everyone who ventures past your place plenty of time to enjoy the work you put into your displays without worry of someone carting a prop off, or causing damage. So much talent on this forum deserves to be long enjoyed by others.
You know each year when you see a story about an inflatable getting cut or some even stolen it just makes your heart drop. It’s like why vandalize? Most props are delicate anyways. Probably better to keep them safe. But yes, one night only you got all your eggs in one basket. And little things like is there enough lighting can be challenging. We went as far as to draw up plans for extension cords and even the splitters cause you get one shot. The biggest “stress” for the one night only approach is just making sure you have everything you need.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
You know each year when you see a story about an inflatable getting cut or some even stolen it just makes your heart drop. It’s like why vandalize? Most props are delicate anyways. Probably better to keep them safe.
I am so thankful to live in an area where theft and vandalism is pretty uncommon. But that's not to say it would never happen to my place. It would really take the wind out of my sails if I were to wake some morning and find my props stolen or destroyed. I don't think I would ever want to put out another thing, not even a Jack-o-Lantern after that. My yard would remain empty and my lights would remain off. One person or a group of person's one night of "fun" would forever ruin my fun.

I'm sorry Myra, but I just can't accept the whole "kids will be kids" outlook. I may have done a bunch of foolish stuff when I was a kid, but never once did I steal or destroy someone else's property. I guess growing up without a lot of money, and seeing how hard my folks worked for every dime they made to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table and clothes on our backs, made me more respectful of other people's stuff. If I wanted something above and beyond basic needs I had to make my own money to buy it and if I broke something not belonging to me, I had to work to earn money to have it fixed or replaced. I wish that everyone could feel safe in putting their holiday decor out weeks ahead of time, it would make the holidays that much more fun. But sadly too many people do not know how to respect other people's property and have to ruin the fun for property owner and others. And the reason why so many people have no respect for other people's stuff is their antics as kids were just laughed off as "kids will be kids" instead of having their behinds blistered and having to go and make amends for the hurt or damage their antics may have caused.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I live in a small bedroom community and crime is minimal. When referring to safety, it’s more the safety of the props in general. The majority of the stuff I have is really indoor only. It shouldn't be outside. And that’s risk.

You’d think once you have your items out there you’d feel okay but we monitor our displays. Fencing is a must but sometimes there’s no respect for the fencing.

I’ve seen haunters put out signs basically stating hey, a lot of time, effort and money went into all this so please behave. Getting to that point while I understand it is also slightly disappointing. Supposed to be fun right?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
This is a really complex subject I could write a book from my own experiences....The biggest thing I've learned is I have enough stress in my life, I don't need to add to it artificially trying to do everything in my brain that would be "cool".....This will be my first year with a Halloween yard since 2012 so it's going to be a "foot in the water" year instead of the usual OMG I've only got X amount of days left....Nope, not doing it...If I have to, I'll throw up some stuff and not plug a thing in except lighting but I'm definitely going to put SOMETHING in the yard for 3 or 4 weekends and sit in the drive way with a bon fire and enjoy the evenings and then take the props in at the end of the night....I already know it's not going to be that simple but that is definitely the mindset....I got two 10X20 car port tents at Harbor Freight yesterday I'm going to put up for a small walk through and keep all those pirates I got this year under a roof....I'm going to pour quick crete into a 5 gallon plastic bucket for weights to hold them down so I don't have to worry about wind....I got a bunch of those metal squeeze clamps so I can quickly put up black plastic walls and throw some camo net over that to get rid of the plasticy look....Quick and easy....No building walls here and easy to store....I bought one of those harbor freight dollies called big foot that has 13 inch pneumatic tires....That thing is awesome for rolling over gravel, bumpy areas, yard,etc....Once I figure out what a scene is going to include, I'll probably build plywood container boxes to house all the electrical and props for that "room" so I can wheel the box to the room and unpack and set up right there...Even thought about making the box open up like a wall so the main prop stays right in the box for quick tear down at the end of the night....The storage boxes will need to stay in the room though to stay convenient....This isn't all going to happen this year alone of course....That would be too stressful....LOL....As I streamline, I may add more tents but probably I'll open my building partially up again as that would be easier than setting up more tents...The main priority is it has to be easy enough I don't mind the work and that I'm not stressing because I do this to release stress, not add more!....ZR

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Haunted Wy......We will agree to disagree, on the Kids being Kids.
Let me say, that I am with you....when you say, that you would just shut down the entire Halloween thing, if you got HIT by Vandals.
We did exactly that, with our Christmas Display.
We used to be BIG into Christmas, and that all STOPPED on the night that a few of our Snowmen got stolen and some of our other stuff, got SLASHED.....beyond repair.
We fully expect kids to be kids, when it comes to a Halloween Night, as Halloween just has that "FEEL" of DARK and Mysterious....and that Darkness, just brings out the DEVIL in people.....especially.....YOUNG Adolescents.
No ....we are not condoning it......we are just saying that we Expect it, to happen, and we try to Prepare for it, as best that we can.
YES.....we would be disappointed if things were to go Missing or be Wrecked, but we build our Haunts in a way, that if it were to happen, it would not stop us, from doing to again.....BIGGER and BETTER!
Halloween is associated with the Dark side and with the Devil etc, and with that Brings out a bit of Adolescent behaviour......where as Christmas, is associated with the Birth of Christ and Peace on Earth and LOVE for your fellow man!
Vandals Hitting any Christmas Display, is as LOW as anyone could possibly ever get, and that is where I Draw the Line, when it comes to Kids being Kids.
Christmas is Sacred......and OFF LIMITS to be screwed with.....where as Halloween......is for pure FUN , which usually brings out the worst in the Kids.
Yes.....Kids will be Kids, as we "all" were.....sooooo please, do not try to pass yourself off, as some kind of Halloween Angle, as that would not be totally Truthful.
We "ALL" did something bad, that we all regret doing, on Halloween nights as Kids growing up, and if you did not?......then I think, that you lived a very sheltered life as a kid, and you missed out on experiencing what we all once did.
May be that is why.....I have Forgiveness in my Heart, when it comes to Halloween?
I now feel that it is my justified "Pay Back", for being a little Brat on Halloween Night, in my early teens.
Im not condoning my behaviour, I am just saying that I can see WHY, the Kids will do it.
But....when it comes to "Christmas".........I can not accept the Kids will be Kids stance, that I take.....when it comes to Halloween.
Believe me......I will be "Totally Pissed Off", when I come out in the morning, and see things either missing or vandalized during our Month of Halloween.....but.....Deep down inside, I will be thinking......it is my Pay Back, and rightfully deserved.
Tombstones can be replaced.....No Big Deal.
Coffins are FUN to build, and "if" they can Pack one or more off......Good on them, they will make for a Good story to tell, for their entire lives!
As long as they leave me with something, I figure, that I will still be way ahead of the game, based on everything that we used to do, as Kids on Halloween night.
Am I proud of it, Hell......NO!!!
Was I proud of it then....as a Kid?
HELL.......YES I was.....only because we all thought , that it was just FUN, to be Brats on Halloween Night.
Don't get me wrong......we did not Slash things or Break things.....or Destroy other people's hard work, we would do all the other things.
Like Toilet paper Houses and Cars.
EGG cars and trucks and buses as they drove by the park......Put Firecrackers in people's Mailboxes.....(The Roadside Mailboxes).......We would Blow Up peoples Pumpkins on their front doors steps.....and the WORST thing that we ever did, was take down the Stop Signs at a 4 way stop.....Yes.....we actually did that.
Thank God, No One ever had an accident......we should have had our Ass's KICKED for that one.
But.....we all Grow Up....and we all Pay for our Past Sins, in one way or another.
For instance, God got even with me ( BIG TIME) , by making me get Married! LOL
I think, based on that alone.....I have PAID for "ALL" of my Sins as a Teenager, a Million Times over and over again!
I'm soooooo Sorry for everything that I did as a Kid, that we all thought was Funny, at the time.
That is WHY.......I can truthfully except, being HIT and being HIT HARD during Halloween Month.
I actually prepare for it and Plan for it, and accept that it is going to happen.
I DESERVE IT!
Our Haunt is FUN to build and to display, and there is "nothing" that I can not Rebuild and Replace for next years Halloween.
If anything......having stuff thrown all over the place and broken, will just add to the Look of a Halloween Haunt.
But....when it comes to Christmas........"THAT" Holiday, is completely OFF LIMITS when it comes to Kids being Kids.
We STOPPED doing Christmas......the year that our Christmas Display was Vandalized.
For now, I am giving the Kids a Free Pass, on being Kids on Halloween night.
Mind you, once I do get HIT during Halloween Month.....I might just change my theory on that one? LOL
I'm thinking of......Putting up a Sign in our Grave Yard.....right next to the Warning about our Activated Electric Fence......saying some like....Please Vandalize Us......just to see, if the Electric Fence warning sign .....actually works or not?
It will give the Fun seeking Vandals something to seriously think about.....before....stepping a foot, into our Haunt!
Its soooo much FUN, to Play with and Screw with their Young impressionable Minds! LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where the heck did our Summer go?
It's almost the end of Summer ( Or that is what we think, once Labour Day rolls around, and the Kids go back to school ) and have not really done very much at all, besides "JUST" thinking about what I am wanting to do, this year.
Yup.....I feel the anxiety starting up, already! lol
I'm totally "behind" on getting stuff done for Halloween but I am behind to some extent every year. LOL

We adopted a pup who has some issues so I've got less attention/time than usual so I'm scaling things back a little this year. It will still be fun for me to build and the kids to experience so it is all good. ;-)

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
My biggest worry is what to expect from the weather this year. A rainy day/evening will not be good for what I have planned. This is kind of true for every year I've set things up that year but more so this year since I have a lot of dino props and other setups planned. The uncertainty for me is what is most stressful. And totally out of our control.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
My biggest worry is what to expect from the weather this year. A rainy day/evening will not be good for what I have planned. This is kind of true for every year I've set things up that year but more so this year since I have a lot of dino props and other setups planned. The uncertainty for me is what is most stressful. And totally out of our control.
You are soooooo right about the fact, that the weather, is totally out of our control.
We live in the Pacific Northwest, and "RAIN" is usually the norm for us all up here.
That is why one can never ever go wrong, by focusing on a Spooky grave yard, as your Theme and your Haunt.
Rain just adds to the effect of any grave yard, and there is really nothing in there, that doesn't look that much better, on a Dark and Gloomy rainy night.
My only concern is for the Little TOTs and their parents, when it comes to their Safety, while crossing the streets, on those kinds of rainy miserable nights.
You can't really Stress about the things, that are out of our control, such as the Rain.
But......I do know what you mean.
It's just so much more pleasant and enjoyable for everyone, when the Moon is out and the skies are free of clouds.
Let's keep our Fingers crossed for the best.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We traditionally put it all out the first weekend in October (build weekend is fun but a little hectic). Then we take it all down the first Saturday after Halloween is over.

About the stress ... I tend to have projects that fit into 3 categories:
  1. I can do it, I have done it before, it's just a matter of putting in the time.
  2. I think I can do it, I've done something like this before ... sort of ... need to put in the time and figure out a few new things along the way.
  3. Whoo-baby. I have not done this before, I'm not sure if I can do it, but it is SO COOL that I want to try.
Projects like #1 are not much stress (new tombstones, BTDT). Projects like #2 are actually enjoyable stress - I have corpsed before but have I corpsed a bunch of heads to make a cemetery fence with? Nope. Can't wait to get done with work-day chores so I can put in an hour each night.

Projects like #3 are the bad stress. At least they can be when the days are shrinking and the problems with the design seem to be growing.

I have to limit myself to one #3 type project a year. I learn the most from them but if I have too many it gets too chaotic and starts to suck the fun right out of it all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
We traditionally put it all out the first weekend in October (build weekend is fun but a little hectic). Then we take it all down the first Saturday after Halloween is over.

About the stress ... I tend to have projects that fit into 3 categories:
  1. I can do it, I have done it before, it's just a matter of putting in the time.
  2. I think I can do it, I've done something like this before ... sort of ... need to put in the time and figure out a few new things along the way.
  3. Whoo-baby. I have not done this before, I'm not sure if I can do it, but it is SO COOL that I want to try.
Projects like #1 are not much stress (new tombstones, BTDT). Projects like #2 are actually enjoyable stress - I have corpsed before but have I corpsed a bunch of heads to make a cemetery fence with? Nope. Can't wait to get done with work-day chores so I can put in an hour each night.

Projects like #3 are the bad stress. At least they can be when the days are shrinking and the problems with the design seem to be growing.

I have to limit myself to one #3 type project a year. I learn the most from them but if I have too many it gets too chaotic and starts to suck the fun right out of it all.
I was just thinking, that if you have enough time to actually think about, what category you are going to put your projects into, then you obviously have all the time in the world, to get them all done! LOL
Yes....I know what you mean, or I know what you are trying to say, but.....Just do them, and see how you make out.
As one of our other Haunters said, if you get them done....you get them done....if not, No Big Deal.
No one will notice the difference, anyways.
I guess it would be a lot different for those, that don't have tons of stuff already, as most of us have.
For us, we always try to ADD to our Haunt each and every year, with something New and Eye Catching.
But.....do you really think, that anyone ( But Us ) will ever notice, that we did not add that extra Prop or that extra Light or that extra Fog machine?
Hell NO!
When I talk about the Stress of Halloween, I am not talking about Halloween in itself, and the setting up and the breaking down, and the making everything perfect,I am just talking about the Stress that we all Feel, by the things that we "could have ADDED" and could have Built, if we had only started way back on November the 1st of 2018. lol
As we get closer and closer to October the 1st.......we start to think......Ya.....If I start tonight, and phone in sick for the next two days, and Lock myself in the Workshop over the Labour Day weekend, I will get a really good start on at least ONE of the things, that I was wanting to have built, by last March. LOL
Basically we all have a Month to go, to get all the final touches done, and then its....Let the Show Begin!
Lets keep everyone Posted on how we are doing, and if we are all going to make it, and if not.....How close did you get?
The Clock is Ticking Down!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
@Myra Mains Haunters

Love this idea!

1. Build 5 foot moon prop
  2. Build gypsy tent (might help if I finish buying supplies)
  3. Buy one last prop
  4. Finish painting ghost fruit.
  5. Start painting poison apples.
What’s everyone else got?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Last year I discovered all the great ideas floating around on Pinterest, etc. and made a couple 6 ft "ghouls" and put them in my yard last year. We get about 200 kids in our neighborhood so you either commit or hide (I've hid before...), and I got great response from the neighbors & visitors and also realized I needed to do things like better lighting and such around my decorations. So in the middle of the night in early July I came up with a much grander plan of a pirate scene in my front yard for this year - wanted better lighting and more things that people could do "selfies" with. And literally planned the whole thing in my sleep and started buying the non-buildable pieces in mid July. By August, I had most of the basic pieces and tested my lighting & background stuff (looping video of a storm for behind my "ship"). Then I was notified by my boss that the market changed and my company's pipeline (we are a marketing / tech agency) is way down and I'm scheduled to be laid off on Sept 25. So now I'm trying to keep my expenditures down until I get another job lined up. Also I knew I wouldn't be able to start the big building projects until it cools down - I live in Phoenix. So I'm feeling the pressure because I have a lot of painting to do, and if I have the time, I also want to make giant octopus tentacles to be attacking my "pirate ship". But additionally, if I can get all that built, I don't really have a lot of room to store any of it when Halloween is over. I hate the idea of creating a really cool prop and then having to throw it away because it doesn't fit anywhere until next year.

Decisions, decisions ....

21 - 40 of 183 Posts