Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where the heck did our Summer go?
It's almost the end of Summer ( Or that is what we think, once Labour Day rolls around, and the Kids go back to school ) and have not really done very much at all, besides "JUST" thinking about what I am wanting to do, this year.
Yup.....I feel the anxiety starting up, already! lol
Seriously, I do.
So many Good Ideas.....so many good intentions, and absolutely "No Follow" through, on any of it!
Yes.......we have Tons of stuff already made and ready to go, but....it is the adding of New Things, that always makes it soooo much more FUN for everyone.
I mentioned Months and Months back, that we bought an Old Hearse way back on December the 10th of 2018, and when we bought it, I had all kinds of ideas that I was going to do to her, in order to make her that much better and Spookier for this years Halloween.
Well.......I bought her on December the 10th.....Moved her to her new resting spot at the end of January.....Parked her there, and haven't seen her since.
I have no idea, if she is still there, or if she has been stripped or ????.......Yup......I was wanting to get at her, as of April....when our good weather was here......and was wanting to do her Brakes and put LED Glowing Light underneath her....and all kind of stuff.
Our Summer Fun just got in the way......what with Boating and Skiing and Stand Up Paddle Boarding and the BEACH, and then of course there is always WORK that gets in the way.....sooooo I have TONS of excuses, but am quickly running out of Time.
TIME is something that just seems to FLY by now, as we are all getting Older.
Remember when we were Kids....and TIME, just stood absolutely still?
Summer Holidays seemed to go on forever.....Where as now, Time just Flashes by.
Yes......I can not believe that another Summer has come and is almost gone, which is Sad.....as "Summer" is what we all live for.
Halloween just helps us get through the Darker and Damp and Mildew laden Fall Months.
The start of the World Series, the start of NFL Football and the NHL, just reassures us, that we are not Dreaming......That YES......Our Summer is GONE!
My point is, that I had visions of starting on everything way back in April LOL.......and just taking my time.....puttering around, with absolutely No Time frame and No Schedule to keep or to shoot for.
But NOW?
LOL.......it is a Full Blown "Panic Attack" and for soooo many reasons.
For some stupid reason, each and every year, we pick NOW......to head down South for some Tropical R and R.....which means another 2 weeks LOST on my Halloween projects.
I guess, I really do not have that much to do....aside from checking in on the Hearse......and working on that.
I was wanting to do the Brakes for sure, as when I drove it......the pedal was all the way to the Floor.....and she barely Stopped?
Not good, since I have to drive her down the Freeway for about 5 miles to our place.
Being able to come to a Quick Stop, might be something that I would like to be doing....when traveling at Freeway Speeds or any Speed for that matter.
I guess the best case scenario is, that when I kill myself, at least....I will already be in a Hearse! lol
The Hearse itself, looks like Crap.....soooooo there is nothing to do to make her look worse!
She is covered in a Green Slime.....her Curtains are Filthy and Tattered .....and her head liner is hanging down on the inside!
Yup......she is Perfect for Halloween!
I am wanting to put LED Rope Lights underneath her entire carriage .......all the way around......so that while she is Parked on the Road.....in Front of our House.....she is giving off a Green GLOW at night time.......for the entire Month of October, as she just sits there......while Pissing Off and Grossing out my Neighbours with her presence! LOL
That is about it for the Hearse, besides adding some Skulls as a Hood Ornament and may be......a Skull on each one of her Cadillac Wire Wheels.
Then.....I am needing go build Two more FULL SIZE Coffins as more Photo Opp displays....and may be....a few more...just depending on my Mood and my energy level.
Of course I will have a Coffin in the Back of the Hearse.....but....what do you think....about a Coffin Up on her Roof?
Will that look good or not?
Or....will the Coffin on the Roof....take away from her Look?
What do you think?
So......Yes......I am starting to FEEL the STRESS!
That same STRESS that I FEEL....each and every year....On Christmas Eve, as I am wrapping all the Presents, that I SWORE that I would have wrapped by November!
I think.......that I actually Love the STRESS?
Or......may be....I am just simply Stupid?
My guess would be, that it is a combination of the Two! LOL
Who else, is starting to FEEL the STRESS?
I can't be the Only One?
Come on......Join the Club!
Let's hear all about it? LOL

·
Registered
865 Posts
I agree with Andromalius, the point is the enjoyment of this specular, darkly fun holiday. A word of caution, stressing over it is the surest way to burn out and eventually ending up not doing Halloween at all. I have seen it happen numerous times over the years. :) :) :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,404 Posts
Oh how I've missed your posts Myra!

So many Good Ideas.....so many good intentions, and absolutely "No Follow" through, on any of it!
The good news about this is we all do this so at least you're not alone. We can all take a ride in the "No Follow" through boat, or should I say Hearse, together!!

In fact, I'm currently sitting here posting instead of making & painting stuff for Halloween that I bought LAST year!

You have motivated me now so I'm now going to go take a shower, get something to eat, take my pile of pills & get to work!! It's a beautiful fall-like day here in MD (something that rarely happens in August here), I may even do it outside.

So welcome to just being...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
As far as the time, yes, I’m right there with you. Seems like yesterday it was July and September is almost here and I’m wondering.. I do have enough time to get this all done right?

I agree with the other posts; the only person I’m up against is myself. And as much I want to share with others, at the end of the day I am doing more than most. Only 1% of our town does big decorating so if someone is keeping score I’m thinking we are winning.

Also, it’s possible as Halloween enthusiasts our perception of time is very skewed cause we think about Halloween way more than others. It takes months sometimes years to come up ideas and a plan which may or may not meet your expectations when you’re done. I know last year we spent 3 hours doing those beef netting spider webs and were less than impressed. So, shifting gears.

In the end, do what you can. Making yourself insane doesn’t help. It’s supposed to be fun after all. And if you don’t get to something, it might actually become an idea that wasn’t supposed to be anyways.

Happy Haunting! 👻

·
Registered
82 Posts
It happens every year. We think we are "far behind" or "didn't get the prop just right". Then the date rolls around and everyone is amazed and congratulates you a job well done. I totally understand the stress. I too feel like other events take me away from my Halloween building, but we need to enjoy the moments leading up to Halloween - even if they are (sadly) not Halloween related.

·
Registered
291 Posts
When I sat down and made detailed notes of all the little displays I intend to have around my big-ass front yard last night, I got a little concerned. Mainly, I was chomping at the bit to bring out all my stuff and go over it to see if there were any things I needed to purchase. I'm saving that for the first week in September, though. Should be fine. I don't go nearly as hog wild as most folks on here. 🦇

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
When I sat down and made detailed notes of all the little displays I intend to have around my big-ass front yard last night, I got a little concerned. Mainly, I was chomping at the bit to bring out all my stuff and go over it to see if there were any things I needed to purchase. I'm saving that for the first week in September, though. Should be fine. I don't go nearly as hog wild as most folks on here. 🦇
We must all be thinking next week is bring it all down month. Same here. Making a list of what we need and mocking up our design sets is coming.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I feel stress when I start a project then don't finish, then another, then another, etc. Self inflicted stress though, because it's just recreational so I have to remind myself I don't have a deadline.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I put everything up the day of and pull it down that night. I have 30 pneumatic props. Now that's stress.
We do the same thing. Granted mine are all store bought so I doubt mine is as exhausting as yours. Gotta protect those props cause some people cannot handle it. It’s weeks of setting things up in the garage, testing and moving then moving into the yard and yard stakes. Then as soon as Halloween is over, we yank it all out and just drop it in the garage. It’s exhausting but in the end the neighbors think the “pop up” Halloween is great. The one thing I keep getting asked is... where do you put it all?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
We do the same thing. Granted mine are all store bought so I doubt mine is as exhausting as yours. Gotta protect those props cause some people cannot handle it. It’s weeks of setting things up in the garage, testing and moving then moving into the yard and yard stakes. Then as soon as Halloween is over, we yank it all out and just drop it in the garage. It’s exhausting but in the end the neighbors think the “pop up” Halloween is great. The one thing I keep getting asked is... where do you put it all?
Absolutely, it is like a dream people tell me if it really happened.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Absolutely, it is like a dream people tell me if it really happened.
Do you get... this wasn’t here this morning was it? Might be my fave.

I’m not stressed about all there is to do. I am slightly nervous I won’t be able to pull it off. It’s not like most of this has a rule book. I am thankful for so many amazing forum members who have so willingly given their stories and how to’s cause it definitely helps alleviate some of that anxiety.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it seems as if we all have a different take on the word "STRESS"?
I suppose it depends on one's own personality and their make up, as to what they consider Stress to be.
Andromanlius and X-pired seem to think, that STRESS is a Bad thing, and that if you have it....you are definitely not enjoying what you are doing, and you should just Give Up. LOL
Where as my friend and others, see STRESS as a Motivator, and the Fuel, that powers them up, to get going and to get er done!
Some people are more Sloth like than others, and for that reason.....they are a lot more Mellow than others...and are able to just roll along with what ever might get done or not get done.
Where as a lot of us, actually have Expectations, of what we would Love to accomplish between now and October 31st.
Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to be one of those people, who are just able to set up on the morning of Halloween and then just take it all down, the same night.
LOL........That is sooooooo Great, if that is what works for "You".....I LOVE IT!!!!
Let me guess, these same people....are taking down their Christmas Tree and all of their decorations and Lights , the very second that the last present is Opened, on Christmas morning! LOL
Thats it Kids......You had your Christmas .....now go and do your Home Work!
Yup......that sure sounds very Festive, and might work for some, but.....as we all know, Thank God, we are "ALL" different from each other.
Some will agree to disagree, but that is what makes the Forums more Fun as we get to see and hear, what other Haunters do, in order to make their Halloweens work for them.
"STRESS" to me.......makes it all that much more FUN.
Its causes you to feel ALIVE......it makes you feel the Blood Pumping in excitement as you now have a Real Time Line to get it all done, in that shortening time frame.
Stress is not a Bad Thing......It just adds even that much more FUN to what ever you might be doing.
Some of us actually enjoy the STRESS......that is why we always WAIT, till Christmas Eve to do all of our Gift wrapping, into the wee hours of the night.
Every year, we always SWEAR.....that we will get all of our Shopping done in March, and have everything wrapped and tagged by April, and we will just sit back, and enjoy the Christmas season, as we watch everyone else STRESS OUT over buying the perfect gift.
The Chevy Chase movie "Family Christmas Vacation", was such a HUGE Success, because it showed just how STRESSFUL all of the Holidays are and were for Clark Griswold.
Griswold just wanted EVERY event and EVERY Holiday to be the "PERFECT" Family Holiday.
It was Clark's STRESS.....that we all felt! LOL
It was Clark Griswold, leaving things till the last moment......that we could all relate to, as 90% of us, are all clones of Clark Griswold.
Hey.....if any of you are able to just cruise through each and every Holiday with out any Expectations or without any Stress, Man.......I sure wish at times that I could be like YOU!
But......I really do think, that it is the Self Imposed STRESS, that makes Halloween and Christmas and Weddings and every Special event......that much more Special.
I am now....."EXCITED" and "PUMPED" to be doing "everything", that I was wanting to get started on way back on November the 1st of last year. lol
If I had actually started months ago.....the EXCITEMENT for Halloween would not even be there.
YES......I think that it is Cool, if you are just sooooo La Dee Duh and Laid Back, that you can just Roll with the punches, and have the attitude that if it gets Done....it gets Done, and if not.....Oh well!
That is just not in my DNA, and at times.......I sure wish that it was.....especially in Rush Hour Traffic! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Stress to me, is a Motivator......Stress to me, is not a Bad thing.....it is that Kick in the Ass, that I always need to get going!
I agree with one of our other Haunters who said, that doing the other things in Life......is what it is all about.
Halloween will always be there....where as .....spending good times with Family and Friends is so much more important than making that one more Coffin.
But.....I do agree with you ( In a way), that if it doesn't get done, it will not be the end of Halloween as we all know it.
The Funny thing is, that NO ONE will ever notice that you did not make that one more Tombstone...NO ONE is going to notice that you are missing one of your Props from last year......NO ONE is going to notice that you did not detail the Hearse , as you had originally envisioned it to be.
NO ONE will Notice.......NO ONE "BUT" YOU!
It is "YOU" or "ME" that Loves to feel the Stress.....to get it ALL DONE!
"WE" are the "only ones" that will ever know, that we accomplished everything on our Halloween Wish List.
But......"WE" are our biggest critics, and we are our best critics, and therein lies the STRESS and the Pressure to get it all done.
It is that STRESS......that makes it FUN for some of us.
It is that STRESS that drives us to bust our Butts for the next solid month.....and that for some of us, is actually FUN.
It is that Stress, that makes Halloween our main Focus and makes it an Obsession for us, and that is what makes Halloween FUN!
My point was, that Stress is not a Bad Thing......it is just what 90% of us all Feel ( Well those of us that have Expectations and Unrealistic goals LOL ) as Halloween gets closer and closer.
Yup.......I definitely have the Clark Griswold virus, flowing and pumping through out my Veins right now.
And the best part is.......I absolutely LOVE this "self imposed" STRESS!
It makes preparing for Halloween, that much better and that much more exciting!
From now until October 31st and beyond.......nothing else will matter , except for Halloween.
Well.....Halloween and the start of the NFL season.
Well.....Halloween and the start of the World Series Playoffs.
Well......Halloween and the start of the NHL season.
Well......Halloween and the start of the Ozarks series on Netflixs! LOL
Yup......I have the Clark Griswold syndrome and LOVE all the STRESS that it brings with it!
In my case.......Halloween STRESS is a very very Good Thing!
I feel sorry, for those that have no idea, what they are missing out on. LOL
La Dee Duh, I'm off to watch the Seahawks preseason game.
Halloween can wait for one more day.
Then the STRESS will begin for Real! LOL
I LOVE Clarke Griswold! hahaha

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that most of us do that, or very close to that schedule.
Christmas is usually or traditionally celebrated over the entire month of December, so getting stuff in place come Thanksgiving weekend, is a pretty basic practice.
In the past ( When we were all little kids ) , Halloween was just a ONE NIGHT "Flash in a Pan".
As with some on here, the decorations would go up a day before or the day off, and they would all be gone by the next morning.
Yes....you might see the odd pumpkin left out to Rot, but everything else would just magically disappear.
But......now a days, Halloween is being celebrated for the entire month of October, as it should be.
It seems as if you see Halloween displays going up, a week or two before October even begins.
We used to do the Christmas Displays , but then fell in love with Halloween, even more so.
Now Christmas is more subdued....more Traditional and more "Homes and Gardens" as opposed to being able to see our Light Display from the orbiting Space Station.
Christmas is for Family and close friends......whereas Halloween, is for the Little Kids and the Total Strangers that come on by and for the community.
Halloween is just pure FUN, where as Christmas is just way to Commercialized, to the point, that is has taken the true meaning of Christmas away.
Our kids are Adults now, so Christmas is no longer for the Kids.
But, Halloween is for the Little Kids and for the Adult Kids that have never ever Grown Up.
Halloween wins out BIG TIME over Christmas for its ONE NIGHT of FUN!
So, it now makes perfect sense to prolong Halloween as long as possible, and certainly for more, than just the one night.
The only way that the next generations of Little Trick or Treaters, will become just as obsessed with Halloween as we are all, is by us........Exposing them to the FUN of Halloween through our displays and through our props and our Haunts.
Having your stuff up for just One Night.....is what they used to do back in the 50s and 60s and 70s......try jumping ahead to 2019, and help give some lasting FUN memories to all the New Little Trick or Treaters that would Love to see your stuff, for the entire month of October.
Do it for THEM.....Doing it for just One Night, is just not long enough.
The Kids deserve the entire Month of October, to be seeing your displays, no matter of how big or how small it might be.
The Little Kids will Love it!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm starting to stress a bit. I have been working on prop builds since April in between all the life things that happen and I still have so much to finish and time is running short and I still have lots of life things going on that makes my time even shorter.

The prop building doesn't have me feeling burned out, some of the life things has me feeling burned out. The prop building helps me gain some sense of sanity because they are but a few things that I feel like I have some control over and when I can get something finished it gives me such a great sense of accomplishment.

I need my prop building time and I need to get the things I set out to build finished for both my sanity and a feeling of accomplishment.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Reading that at least a couple of the thread respondents literally put their Halloween up the night of and take it down the same evening was like a revelation to me. I love that neighbors are like, "Did that really happen?".

I intend on starting a full two weeks out, but taking it gradually. First, maybe a couple of hanging ghosts around the perimeter; some pumpkins on the steps, a skelly in the garden; etc. And over fourteen nights getting more and more decorations up. That's baring any hurricane threats, of course. Prime time of the year for them down here in October. I have successfully plucked everything down the night of the past two years. 🦇

1 - 20 of 183 Posts