Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. This isn't so much of a "rant" as a gripe so I stated it that way.

SO few people around here (southern California; San Gabriel Valley) decorate for Halloween. In the northeast the entire tri-county area was orange, black and gory!!! Here...my God, it's a week plus until Halloween and you know what? THREE people on my block of about 40+ houses (going northward) have decorated. INCLUDING mine.

I'm so sad. Why don't people around here "do" Halloween? Is it more popular in areas where the autumn season is really apparent?

Anyone else have this gripe? I want to drive or walk all around and see nothing but decorations! Back east you'd see probably three out of 40 houses not decorated! And the kids all know those are the sourpuss houses that turn off their outside lights and pretend not to be home so no kids will go there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not ONE person on my block has decorated. Two houses two blocks away have a couple decorations. And someone broke one of mine, being the only one with stuff out I guess. I just moved here-not liking it.

Every year it seems less & less people "do" halloween. Sad.

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
Be patient. As the Lady suggests, haunts and decorating is contagious. I'm on the east coast, and yes we do have more folks decorating, though not as many as you might think. More to the point, though, is we have more and more each year.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Hang in there and don't get discouraged. I agree with Auditor; it can be contagious. This year, two other houses on our street who never decorated before, have each put up some outdoor lights and cobwebbing. Since we started going all out, another guy started up a little garage haunt. A couple of my neighbors who normally wwnt out on Halloween night now make it a point to stay home and give out candy. One lady told me she enjoys watching the people come to my house and the scares we give them. Keep doing what you're doing and it might catch on with more and more families.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Lol I will certainly be the only person in my street with a decorated front yard. But I'm hoping it'll catch on. If not, I'll just stand alone, waving my metaphorical Hallowe'en banner...

·
How about a magic trick?
1,002 Posts
Yep, I feel the same way.
The complex I live in (condos)
has 12 buildings, w/12 condos each.
Maybe 1 or 2 in each building decorates at all.
So, so sad. :(
But maybe next year. We'll see.

But where I used to live (the next town south of here,)
there were probably 1/4 to 1/2 of the houses decorated
in one way or another for HW....
Some very elaborate, and some not so much, but at least they try.
Oh well....what can you do?

But see for X-Mas....90 percent of the houses decorate. ALOT!!

WTH????

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Nobody decorates around me either. I've been doing it for years and this year the only thing I've found around us is a set of orange pumpkin lights. There is two houses that each have a large blow mold pumpkin outside. I guess I'm the only house in about 3-5 miles. I travel all over my area and there is like, nothing!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
It seems to be hit or miss around here. This year is a big MISS! Even I did very minimal outdoor decor this year as I will not be home on the big night. In my neighborhood, which is usually a trick or treater's haven, maybe three houses have anything in the yard at all. And those have maybe a scarecrow or a couple of spider webs. One problem we have is that our town has had a huge issue with burglaries and vandalism for the last few months. People are scared to put anything out that they can't afford to have trashed or stolen. Sad but true...

·
Registered
252 Posts
We can totally sympathize, there are only a few other houses I've seen this year in our area with anything up, and I had to go 5 miles before I saw them. It's actually better than years past though. There were actually a couple of really nice displays, which totally thrilled me to see, because before we moved in virtually noone decorated. Looks like we're starting to spread the Halloween bug a little:). Hope you can too!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The TOT traffic is pretty much null at my home. Which is why I decorate a buddy's home and work with him. Odd, I know, but the people make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in a neighborhood in central Florida that is pretty lame as far as Halloween decorating goes. This whole area is actually quite dead. I did notice that when we put our stuff out, which is basically a "zombie-proofed or infested house", some of the people on our block went out and bought things. Hopefully we gave them a little nudge. We barb-wired, boarded and bloodied up the windows with hand prints, posted "warning" signs and caution tape, threw some beheaded bite victims on the roof, staked some arms coming from the ground, and placed our "zombie in a can" out there. I'm sure I'm forgetting things... but it's all flood lit with red. People were literally peeking out of their windows across the street while we were doing the house, it was the funniest thing.

·
Registered
445 Posts
California Melanie, Don't let them get you down. We completely understand. About 5-6 yrs ago we only had 20 kids and we would decorate my inlaws in Altadena. They had more kids since they were the big candy bar neighborhood. We decided to bring it back to our neighborhood, and it's worked. We've gone from 20 to 140. Only 2-3 houses on our street would hand out candy with a carved pumpkin. Now everyone compliments and says how nice it is to have so many kids...a neighbor down the street said the other day" you know people come from far away to see your house. They ask her where we are. She had to send her son out to get more candy. Neighbors are having parties, and more decorations are getting put out. Don't give up. It'll happen!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm so glad to hear these responses. I am definitely going to "keep it up". I mean I'm sure I would anyway because I just love the holiday, period. But it's heartening to know I'm not the only one and that there may be a chance of "bring the spirit back". I too love to see people's reactions. I think that's the best part.

Thanks so much, everybody. I am so glad to hear these experiences! :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
i agree with suzeelili don't give up . Here mostly retired people lives on my street and for now me and the house on the other street in front of us have decoration . Last year was my first year and i am putting more this year and for some reason my friend house have more too this year ..... i drove on other street near and compare to last year i see more skelton in the windows, spiderweb in their tree pumpkin on their porch so i think something has started to happen around . So we will see if i will have more than the 20 kids i had last year . Good luck with yours

·
Registered
444 Posts
Build it and they will come! It has been 11 years since we moved into our house at the end of a culdasac. The first few years very few tots and no one else decorated. Now I get hundreds of tots and almost all the neighbors are into it now.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm in Texas and a few decorate but not as many as I'd like. House Haunts seem more populalr in the North East though. I haven't seen many down here. Most Haunted houses are actually businesses.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have decorated my house now for 4 years. And just last year a neighbor finally started to decorate his place. Now we have 2 houses on my street decorated. Other then that, we have a couple of houses that decorate a few blocks around us, but not many. We don't get a lot of TOTs but we still manage about 40-50. My house is now getting the most attention and talk from the kids.

There is one house down the street from me ( about 15 houses to the east ) that my wife says that we are in compition with. I told her, no it's just nice to see someone deadicated to the holiday as we are.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts