Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start decorating, that is. I'm a bit late this year;working on the inside of the house first.

My husband says he'll put up the lights and set up the cemetary (he's so good at that!) this weekend.

I really can't start on the porch and lawn decor until he does that, but there's a talking/musical skull door knocker on the porch--I wish people would use it.

I love coming here and seeing what everyone's doing this year. I wish everyone on my street was into Halloween the way we are. You guys are truly inspirational.

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
My personal thing is to wait till it's officially October. Anything before the 1st seems too early.

Feels like people will stop and say "oh hey, it's october now" if they only see it for the first time once it's the month.

But i've been getting impatient and it can't come soon enough.

That being said, the 1st being Thursday, i'm at work, but i'm off work tomorrow, so i'm going to do it then.

I wouldn't worry too much. It is still early for the non-enthusiasts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am not too CRAZY with Halloween decorations but I will probably start setting it all up this weekend. I've built a couple 3-D Headstones Sunday and did some engraving into the plywood face with a Dremel tool. I made 3 of them in various sizes .. now I just need to airbrush them, maybe add something to the face to give them texture.

Other than that, I might make "Hanged" Man in the tree outside my house then run some small spotlights to shine on all of it. It should come out really good, I'll put up some pictures in the future when I am finished.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
Just finished the inside decor today. Hope to put up the fence and columns this weekend or early next week. Then a week off before a few other odds and ends go out. We like to build the suspense with the neighbor kids.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,521 Posts
We're not putting up any outside stuff until Saturday. Even then, it's only lighting, webbing and hanging stuff up high on the house.

I saw a house a few streets over from me last night with string lights and a light up pumpkin out. :)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
We're not putting up any outside stuff until Saturday. Even then, it's only lighting, webbing and hanging stuff up high on the house.

I saw a house a few streets over from me last night with string lights and a light up pumpkin out. :)

Yeah, I put our purple string lights on some front bushes and swapped out the white porch lights with orange bulbs. It looks cool and the across the street neighbors have commented on it (favorably of course!)

·
Registered
391 Posts
I LOVE the decorating and creating everything but I despise putting it all up. I even prefer taking it all down versus figuring out where I'm going to put everything. Since I finally have a house of my own (yea!) I can actually plan each room and pack it up that way each year.

As for my outside stuff, I can't wait to put it out but scared of people taking it. Even though I work for the police, I know they cannot just sit at my house keeping vandals and thieves at bay so I likely won't put that out until a week or two before the 31st. :(

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I am not doing much for Halloween this year after years of big show-stopper efforts. (Halloween Burn-out Syndrome) But I will put out some lighted pumpkins, webs, wreaths and ribbons around the second week of October. No props or cemmie for me this year :(

·
Curator of the random
652 Posts
Absolutely no budget at all this year, I mean, ZERO! The only thing I'm able to to do is re-position a green spotlight from my witch to my Dragon head in the pampas grass by my shed. I'm gonna have to wait until next year (my 20th anniversary to add a fog machine and hose (to have the fog come out the dragon's nose/mouth)...

·
Registered
73 Posts
We have had our mantle all dec'd out for a little bit now, and some odds and ends around the front door on the porch. Soon the web will go up outside, and we already have a jackolantern banner out there (plus the first real pumpkin of the season...on our kitchen table, lol). I'm sort of weary about putting out expensive/labour-intensive props too early as we have a lot of packs of highschoolers walk through our block...and have had two garden gnomes swiped in the past. ): That stuff will likely wait until closer to the big night...

Groovily enough that one house at the end of our street which I have mentioned before has been steadily adding things every night now for a week. :) They have some 2-d skeletons on the side of their house, a ghoul hanging by the front door, webs, a "Wicked Welcome" sign (which is up all year btw, along with another corpsed-out looking thing) and as of tonight two electric flickering green and red lanterns on their front steps.
I love these people. :D I hope they stop by this year, didn't see them last time (or perhaps the costumes were too good!)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I am running late putting things out this year and the extra 300 dollars I had planned to spend on the first well it's not there anymore :( but Halloween will prevail I'll just have to cut back and that might mean a few things will change but it will still be great. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Other than that, I might make "Hanged" Man in the tree outside my house then run some small spotlights to shine on all of it. It should come out really good, I'll put up some pictures in the future when I am finished.

LOL, I did that last year, only mine not only was hanging, but quartered aswell. I covered the clothes with fake blood and stuff to make it look gory and such. Unfortunately, a neighbor got offended cuz they jumped to some racial issue just to start trouble and I ended up taking it down. (I know they where just wanting to stir trouble, becuz I have several African American neighbors, and they where the only ones that complained, and even the guys niece, who is a cop here, came over Halloween afternoon to apologize for his behavior, and told me it looked really awesome)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Usually on the 1st of Oct I start setting up my yard haunt, but I really can't this year. I've got my house up for sale so that kinda throws a wrench in the whole thing. But, I am going to still go all out for the night of ToT! I always do a live scene in my garage, and that tradition is not going to end this year! So I'm going to be the Stealth Halloween house this year. The only "outside" decorations" this year is going to be my 25'x25' spider web I build a few years ago, along with my 8' spider, with a strobe on it.
Inside my garage , I am going to do a séance scene using Big Scream TV's Living Crystal ball illusions disc. I am also going to incorporate the fog vortex FX in the other half of the garage with my nephew coming out of the fog with the chain saw.

Various effects and ghosts in my windows upstairs, and I'm gonna run Hallowindow III in my large picture window. Here are some diagrams illustrating it a bit better....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I waited until Oct 1st year....glass of wine, Nightmare before Christmas and decorations! Haha but this year I got a little too excited so on Sunday I brought out all the big guns. I'm in a different apartment now and my roommates tease me about my Halloween cups I have year round, cuz they know Halloween is my favorite, so they were excited to see what I did with the place. It looks awesome. My favorite part is just remembering when you got each decoration or forgetting you had specific ones until you see them again. So, therefore, you're not alone on the early decorating!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts