Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have to figure out what I'm going to use for restraints for the arms and legs and I think I might add a "Danger: High Voltage" sign and a couple more skulls. But so far I'm pretty happy with it.

To tell the truth I'm absolutely thrilled with it and I think it's the best work I've done!!!!

Soon the hard part though.... building the dummy and figuring out how to make it move.

What does everybody think?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Scary Firefighter, I want to ask you a question that might offend you, keep in mind I am not trying to.....

You have skulls on your chair..........why?
Are you going for a cliche/cartoonie style thing or a realistic thing?
If your going for the realistic thing, why the skulls?

sorry if this offends you, I dont mean to, I am just curious why you put skulls on it...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Cheap leather belts from the thrift store could be used for straps. A clamp lamp, that silver round light holder with a clamp, would make a good head piece. You could put a red light inside it to show the frying head.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man I just hit the motherload!!!!

I found a site where you could customize safety signs.

I was able to order a 7" by 10" aluminum sign that says

DANGER on top with "Execution in Progress" and a skull and crossbones underneath!!!!

Should be here by Oct. 7th!!! :D

·
Registered
916 Posts
I am in the process of an electric chair myself. I was able to get leather belts like you use on tool belts at lowes. With 1 belt I got an ankle strap with buckle and a wrist strap. I think the belts were about $9ea. I tried the thrift store thing but was not able to find any decent belts. What was the sign website?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also used belts to hold the Arms and Legs. I found mine at the thrift store I believe.
Here are 2 thoughts I'm throwing out there for you.
If your going to have a strobe on your chair then the strobe should only come on when the chair is turned on. That being said. Since the chair is not going to be on all the time I think that you're skulls should be light somehow IE. pin spots or something to accent the skulls.
Second what I did for my chair ( and you don't have to do this but it added a ton to the effect).
I sat a fog Machine behind the chair. on the nozzle of the machine I set a 3 inch pvc pipe about 12 inches long. I caped it off and drilled four holes in the cap. I then stuck 4 clear bendable tubes used for water in the holes and ran them up the back of the chair and under the arms of the chair to were the wrist are. The other 2 I ran to the ankles of the dummy. When I turned on the chair the Fog machine would come on and the smoke would come from his ankles and wrist. Again just a thought. Everybody loved the extra smoke.

Your chair is turning out Great! Cant Wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
240 Posts
How much was the sign? I'm just days away from embarking on building one of these. Love all the great ideas!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Looks great. Is your chair oversized or is your dummy small? Hard to tell scale in the pics. Where did you get the orange jumpsuit? Also how much did your custom sign cost including delivery? Keep up the great ideas!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the kind remarks.....

It's the chair that is oversized.... the back supports stand about 6'6" to the top of the skulls and the front supports stand 3' with the sitting surface only about 18 inches from the ground, which is why the arm rests look so high up. The look I was going for is the type of electric chair that does not necessarily look "realistic" but has some "realistic" aspects to it..... but I wanted it to have some flair (for lack of a better word) and to be scary looking. I think I have a pretty good balance to it right now. I think when it's in the garage lit up by a red light and all the effects are working it should look pretty good. I had a general concept in mind when I started building it and just tried to let the ideas come to me as the project progressed.... a lot of the better ideas for this prop came to me when I was trying to fix some of my own screw ups. Which is usually the way it goes.

While I have not measured it, I think the dummy would probably stand about 5'10" or so. That is a XL size jumpsuit (Wal-Mart for $17) and it fills it out pretty well. I made the dummy so it has a hinge at the waist so the torso moves and the legs will stay stationary so hopefully that will reduce the work the jig-saw has to do when moving it.

Hopefully the sign gets here soon.... that should really bring the prop together and look good. It cost $22.53 with delivery.

I'll post another pic soon.... I have filled out the dummy some with chicken wire and pretty much finished the "shocker cap" or whatever you would call it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey, Ive got the same jumpsuit. Got it at wallyworld for 15.00 or something like that!
Looking great! Much bigger than mine!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts