Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't believe how little there is out there this year in the way of new Halloween decorations. I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I've been to my local Wal-Mart (only two short isles, tons of candy), Target (three isles, but nothing good and tons of candy), Walgreans (two short isles, tons of candy), CVS (one isle, tons of candy) Big Lots (one isle and one isle of candy), Dollar Store (end cap, and crappy candy), Lowes (one end cap) and Home Depot (one end cap). And everything is just worthless. Nothing of inspiration. Nothing new! And is is just me or does most of these places not even have any real adult costumes anymore? Oh, but they all have Christmas items out the door! Just wanted to vent a bit. I just thought that last year was so much better. I've bought most of the things I needed/wanted online, but it was always nice to walk in and see something fun.

·
Registered
51 Posts
RIGHT? Remember the good ol' days when even KMART had the best stuff? Like the life size Jason, Michael Meyers, etc. Now the best think they have is a little clown on a tricycle that rides in circles and laughs. The walmart where I live has the dollar store type stuff this year, but yes, almost all stores do have almost all the christmas stuff out, and its a shame. Not to mention, the people at walmart are lazy and you cant find anything decent in the Halloween section because of kids throwing the merchandise around the store, and you watch the workers just work around it.

Target though has some pretty cool back grabber skeletons that you wear like a backpack haha, and some giant skulls and busts of the grim reaper. So far, Target wins in the Halloween contest.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I went to two Spirit shops in my area and this year they are basically small costume shops, no props at all :(

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I've been active on this forum for nine years and the funny thing is, members complain about this same topic every single year. So, my question is, when did stores have all this great stuff that we miss now? ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I for one thought that Target had a much better sellection last year. I was able to pick up some great tombstones and funkins. I also remember they had a much larger selection of interior decorations. This year they've got these really silly "foam" head/hair things. Don't know who the-heck-would wear them. I was actually very happy with Target last year and was looking forward to what they would have this year. But nada. :(

I too have stopped by our local Spirit and Halloween City. And although I can pick up a few things, it just isn't what I'd call "inspirational." I found better items at Grandin Road and Frontgate. Although much more expensive. I've been pretty happy with everything I've gotten from them. And if I wait for a sale (like I do LOL) I feel like I've gotten some good things.

Although last year I remember picking up a couple of GREAT looking props after Halloween from CVS. Got me a grim reaper that looks just beautiful and a little buttler that I'm looking forward to putting out this weekend.

I was just very disapointed that there didn't seem to be as much as I remember last year. Maybe I'm nuts Madame L, and its always like this....but I sure feel like there was more offered last year.

And I guess, it just feels rushed when my favorite holiday hasn't even arrived yet, and they've already got Christmas pushing the Halloween decorations out! :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
This is a problem we have brought upon ourselves. What day do stores move the most Halloween stuff? Nov 1! How many of us cruise through WalMart or Spirit looking at the props and decorations and thinking "I'm going to get a couple of those when they go on sale after Halloween!"? The truth is most of us don't buy many props or decorations when they are full price, and we hold off our spending until the day after Halloween sales start, which means they're losing profits, which means there is little incentive for them to buy a lot of stock, which means there's little incentive for manufacturers to invest in the designing and development of new products.

The only Halloween items that are bought before the holiday, and at full price, are candy and costumes, which is why you're seeing chain stores devoting more space to candy isles and costumes than props and decorations.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been active on this forum for nine years and the funny thing is, members complain about this same topic every single year. So, my question is, when did stores have all this great stuff that we miss now? ;)
The last couple of years the Spirit shop by us was huge and had costumes, props, fog machines, etc. I bought a few things from them. This year for some reason, they have multiple stores near me ( Last year only one) and all they carry are the costumes. So for me, it was last year.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The last couple of years the Spirit shop by us was huge and had costumes, props, fog machines, etc. I bought a few things from them. This year for some reason, they have multiple stores near me ( Last year only one) and all they carry are the costumes. So for me, it was last year.
Perfect case in point. Most everyone buys a few things from Spirit stores before Halloween, which is exactly why we're seeing fewer things available. Retailers are not charities. They are in business to make money, and if costumes are the only thing they can make money on, that's all they're going to carry.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,480 Posts
The stuff is out there, it's just online now (like Halloween Asylum) or in places like Home Goods or Grandin Road very early.

I know I'm one of those that will check online or here for pricing before I commit in store anymore. Sometimes even with shipping an item can be cheaper online.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good points brought up. I was thinking along the same lines as well. Most of the time I've been known to "wait" till the "BIG" sale to get the prop I wanted. Its a gamble, but money is money. And like its been said, these store are not charities. They want to make money. So if people don't buy they are not going to stock anything. I'm with you RCIAG. I shop on line now, or listen to other board memebers for the deals. But I do miss walking through the isles and checking for that deal or two, or looking for that something special that I hadn't seen before. I guess its all a matter of changing my perspective. Thank goodness for forum's like this one!

F

·
0 Posts
Build it and buy it used! That is my motto. I rarely find pieces new in store I like and if I do its spendy so I rather grab old lumber and thrift store items to make something spooky :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That's a good point Gris. Who wants to spend $300 or more on a cheap Chinese-made "life-sized" animatronic that is actually about 3/4 scale and works for one season before breaking. I bought 10 Walgreens skeletons last year, and this year I have two complete skeletons and a whole lot of bones and skulls because the other eight fell apart either during Halloween or in storage.

To Gris's point, I think it's better to just make your own props. First, they're cheaper. Second, they're usually better quality. And third, you don't have to see the same things you have at every other house in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Hmm...I feel like it ebbs and flows. These past couple of years it's been scantier, with last year's stuff all put back out. But I still do think there's way more H'ween stuff on store shelves than when I was growing up. Then you really DID see just costumes and a few ToT buckets and maybe a few Biestle cutout sets and a handful of gag toys to choose from. Even The Halloween Shop at Sears (anybody remember that?), though quite big, was only costumes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I agree, seems like this year is less. I went to party city last night and while they had the biggest selection of Window scenes (which I had been looking for) they did not have the number of prop items as in year's past. Neither did Walgreens, two years ago they had a huge spider for $30 bucks I wish I would have bought! Even Home Depot which usually puts up a display in their front door area, did not do that this year. They did have an animated prop, life size skeleton ghoul thing which was pretty good, they also had some airblowns and the happy scarecrows that Michaels sells.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts