Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! On good old Marketplace, I was able to buy two 60" poseable skeletons for a combined $10. Couldn't pass that up! They're the good ones too. Anyhow! Got me to thinking about All Hallows Eve this year. I've always done spiders, as it's what I hate, and wanted to share the fear. But after a few years, thought to be kind and do my partner-in-crime's fear. Snakes. I actually had to go on facebook and ask what it is about snakes people fear, because I grew up playing in the woods and while they can startle me, I drive out of the way to not hit one even in the road. So snakes!
I've never done snakes before, but saw one image of a skeleton being squeezed by a skeleton. Large snake obviously. I'd have to find an (haha) easy way of rotting out the skeleton a little. But thought it might be fun to hang 'shed' snakeskins in the trees, and also along the path through the haunted trail.
I've looked around, but didn't find much on 'How to'. I was wondering if anyone has ever created a fake snakeskin before, and possible ways? The only thing I could come up with, would be in purchasing 1 or 2 rubber snakes, and coating them in either liquid latex or Elmer's glue. Let dry, then slit down the middle to easily peel. But I've never done this, so thought I'd ask here on thoughts.
And if anyone has any ideas of snakes just in general, please feel free to share. I'm also looking at making an animitronic pit of snake tails. Or even just one here and there along the path. But it's all just in my head before planning anything as of yet.
Thank you so much for any help, and sorry for the lengthy post. I'm not kidding when I say I pretty much do nothing but sit at home all day/night, every day. So when I get to talking, it goes on.:x

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the video. Just started watching it, but he had me at.... I'm way too lazy for that.:D

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
Perhaps try a local reptile rescue or pet store....you might be lucky and get real ones for free. If Craigs List has an animal section see if there is anyone selling snakes. They might have skins they would give you.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,964 Posts
Perhaps try a local reptile rescue or pet store....you might be lucky and get real ones for free. If Craigs List has an animal section see if there is anyone selling snakes. They might have skins they would give you.
Real ones are surprisingly fragile and start to fall apart after just a couple of weeks, even faster if they get wet. The idea of painting a couple layers of latex on a textured rubber snake might actually work. A real snake shed is an inverted impression of the scales, just as a latex cast would be. Might take a bit of experimenting to figure out the best way of removing the latex from the snake would be. Splitting would work, but the resulting skin would not look exactly like a shed, more like a skinned snake. You might be able to powder the latex then roll it back like a real shed come off, then turn it inside out. Might want to try taking a strip of semi-clear plastic and laying it over a highly textured rubber snake then hit it with a heat gun to see if it picks up the texture. Kinda like how you make a milk jug skull.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the words of wisdom. And you're right, if I'm going to make the effort in creating these, might as well do it right. Originally I preferred the idea of using Elmer's glue, because the paper-y feel would be much more accurate. However, if I want them to last, latex would be the better idea. It will probably be 2 weeks before I get one of these done, as I need to go order more liquid latex as well as some snake props. But will write in here to show how it went. For good or bad, perhaps it will help another. I'm also going to attempt to make some snake eggs that I'd seen elsewhere like this. Working outside my comfort zone, but will get through this thanks to the help and advice here. Thank you! SnakeEggs.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve had great luck in the past by using clear plastic bubble wrap. Depending on the scale of the snake that the “skin came off of” , you can use the the bubble wrap with the 1/4” bubbles or the really large style with the 1” bubbles. I start by cutting a long (36” +), thin (5” +) strip of bubble wrap and heating it with a heat gun and stretching it. The air-filled bubbles will pull, stretch, and flatten - giving the appearance of scales. One of the best things about this technique is that it is waterproof and can be used outside.
Good luck and don’t burn yourself!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We did a giant snake wrapped around a 50 g drum last year. The snake was about 40 foot we used 8 inch ducting like dryer vent hose for the body and the skin we got snake skin pattern material from the fabric store and had a friend sew it into a tube so we could sleeve it over the snake. For tbe head we had an actor inside the barrel with a snake mask prosthetic. It was Awsome. Hope this helps .

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,964 Posts
I’ve had great luck in the past by using clear plastic bubble wrap. Depending on the scale of the snake that the “skin came off of” , you can use the the bubble wrap with the 1/4” bubbles or the really large style with the 1” bubbles. I start by cutting a long (36” +), thin (5” +) strip of bubble wrap and heating it with a heat gun and stretching it. The air-filled bubbles will pull, stretch, and flatten - giving the appearance of scales. One of the best things about this technique is that it is waterproof and can be used outside.
Great idea! With a very light snake pattern painted on I think that would look pretty convincing in low light.

·
Registered
985 Posts
We can't recommend using actual snake skin where TOTs can touch it as it can contain the bacteria salmonella. It doesn't hold up terribly well to being handled or getting wet. When our snake sheds, we keep his skin and place it in a bottle that will eventually become a part of the apothecary in a witch's shack. But if you take a look at the actual skins, we're going to say that idea of using bubble wrap is pretty spot on. :)

snake.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have actually made snake skin by painting liquid latex on a florescent light cover. You know the plastic ones that are in most businesses/schools with dropped ceilings? They're not terribly expensive from Home Depot and the rippled side is the perfect scale design. I even mix acrylic paint with the thick mold builder latex so I can actually use different colors and avoid a ton of detail painting on thin latex sheets. Remember your coloration design goes down first though to save yourself some aggravation. I learned from experience lol
Just be sure to apply a good layer of powder down first. I use baby powder and brush it into all the "scales" and really powder the top before I pull it off. Works great for the top skin. Thin, stretchy and has that skin feel to it.
Unfortunately, I've not found a easy way to get the underside scales, those long thin bands have been a puzzle this far.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I'll have to try that. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I have actually made snake skin by painting liquid latex on a florescent light cover. You know the plastic ones that are in most businesses/schools with dropped ceilings? They're not terribly expensive from Home Depot and the rippled side is the perfect scale design. I even mix acrylic paint with the thick mold builder latex so I can actually use different colors and avoid a ton of detail painting on thin latex sheets. Remember your coloration design goes down first though to save yourself some aggravation. I learned from experience lol
Just be sure to apply a good layer of powder down first. I use baby powder and brush it into all the "scales" and really powder the top before I pull it off. Works great for the top skin. Thin, stretchy and has that skin feel to it.
Unfortunately, I've not found a easy way to get the underside scales, those long thin bands have been a puzzle this far.

Glad you mentioned using the baby powder as a release agent for the latex mold. Loved watching SciFi channel's "Face Off" series where they made many latex mask molds. Hate to see someone try the snake skin idea and then not be able to get it off their mold.

I have a latex allergy apparently. Just developed over the years I guess because don't recall having it as a kid. Even when I am around a fresh latex mask I literally can "taste" it on my tongue without ever touching the mask. I love latex masks, still have a few of them and the reaction isn't as pronounced as time goes by for the mask. I handle them with some type of glove on. If I don't, I can smell and taste the latex on my hands for a while even after washing my hands with soap. It makes me sad. I would so like to try doing this but think I'd regret it. Is there anything else that one could use for molding purposes to achieve a thin layer other than latex that wouldn't have any latex in the solution?

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Not exactly about creating snakeskin that's been shed, but thought worth mentioning anyway. For my carnival side show theme I've been playing around with various ways to add "snakes" to my display. I picked up a pair of snakeskin leggings awhile back I had seen in the 99 Cent Only Store to make a snake prop. Leggings are great because they are stretchy and you can use them to great effect to show the snake having consumed something. Being consumed--great fear trigger for halloween.

Fortunately snakeskin is in fashion for the last few years. Do a search on google for "snake skin legging" and you'll see lots of examples out there to use. And fairly cheap too. Mine were only a $1 but the one I just clicked on google was $6 for a pair and plenty of material to play around with. Here's an example from Shein.

I got started on the snake ideas when I found this Great snake head full mask while at a Goodwill store one year. Just begged to be included as an exhibit in the sideshow. Figured I'd use dryer vent tube like mentioned in an above post (easy enough to cut and shape narrower...but use care as edges will be sharp) and wanted to trigger somehow to either lurch forward, spit, or rattle if done as a rattlesnake. Then of course another large companion snake would be my Snake Lady in the display.

Joann Fabrics had some great snake skin fabric for cosplay that I saw and bought some of a while back. Wanted for a black mamba looking snake. Also right now on their site Yaya Han (fabulous cosplay actress/designer btw) has a new product -- Snake skin dual trim -- that might be useful in some situations (almost 2-1/2 inches wide, $8 a yard without coupon). They have a "25% off total purchase" right now online (25REGSPRING). Also if you have the app they have the same offer during their Friends & Family event (thru 3/9).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts