Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used an old smartphone as a video player? I just got a new phone and have this old Droid with an HDMI port that could hook directly to a projector. On ebay, there were several old Droids at 99 cents(!) with free shipping & ending in a few hours.

I saw a thread here where someone (BigAnt?) is using a $40 player from Amazon, which sounds cheap, but would this phone thing work well too? Instead of a USB drive, you'd put a mini-SD card in the phone, which could be loaded directly or via USB cable to a PC. The phone would probably run at least a couple of hours on battery or just get plugged in.

Whatchathink?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had tried using my iphone as a media player and ran into problems with having to use really crappy apps to loop videos and even then it wouldnt loop the videos properly and i eventually gave up on it. I cant speak however for a droid phone as I dont have access to one. As long as you can get your video to loop on the droid phone it would make a really good media player! I would research what it takes to make a video loop on it and go from there! Its a great idea if you get one with the hdmi out for as cheap as that!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm using an Android tablet to play AtmosFear's "Unliving Portraits" inside of a photo frame that I constructed myself. I ran into the same issue that BigAnt described, for some odd reason mobile media player apps really struggle to loop video, which seems like it should be a simple thing. I'm using Asti Media Player, which does have a looping feature that works - the only drawback is that the taskbar (aka the bottom bar or status bar) still shows up even when in fullscreen mode. I constructed the photo frame in such a way as to hide the taskbar, so it works for me, but if you're projecting you'll have to deal with it another way. There are some workarounds to hide the taskbar, such as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YEMKHlv3AM but I haven't tried any of these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts