1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
39 Posts
personally, i'd become a real pain in the a$$ and get all legal on 'em and ask them to define trick or treating. if they defined it as kids dressed in costumes going house to house on october 31st, id blanket the town by holding it a day earlier.

ughhhhhh, id hate to live in bobtown. lol

but on a serious note- poor kids, poor community, poor halloween enthusiasts!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I cant even respond to this post to describe what I think about that because of #5 of the forum rules. So I will just say, it is hearing about things like that, that make me mad. Thats all I'm saying that way I dont get banned from the site..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very, very sad. And this is coming from someone whose hometown in New Mexico became internationally known for burning Harry Potter books. (I was one of the protesters not the bookburners) And I would ask what is so dangerous in this small town that they have to ban Trick or Treating for "safety reasons"? I hope the parents put up enough of a stink to allow or take your kid anyway as a kind of peaceful protest.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
If there is a case for civil disobedience, then this has to be it.
It would appear that this ridiculous ban is, on the whole, unpopular with the local community.

By wrapping our kids in cotton wool in this way, we are in grave danger of creating a generation of people with no self confidence. No spirit of adventure.

I keep hearing the "safety" argument bandied around, but as far as I am aware Halloween night is no more unsafe for kids than any other night. As a parent, I take extreme umbridge to the lizards in pinstripe suits insinuating that I cannot ensure the safety of my children.

The argument of fears of housebreaking goes nowhere, as one would expect the opportunities for burglary to decrease markedly with more people out and about on the streets...

One wonders where is the democracy and freedom that our service personnel (UK and US) are fighting and dying for in Iraq and Afghanistan.

·
Registered
353 Posts
What are they going to do if someone goes anyway? Arrest the little tot? Looks like they need to concentrate on the real criminals instead of little kids.the dopes

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Well, if they are concerned for the safety of children then I think they should ban bike riding, playgrounds, skateboards, running, swimming, jumping....I mean COME ON!!!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lots of breakins so they want to get get everyone in town at the fire hall for 4 hours and give the robbers a clear run? Great idea that. If they are concerned about breakins, better ban Christmas, it's too tempting with all of those gifts sitting wrapped under the tree.

Maybe the people in the article complaining will organize and fight this.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm glad nobody has tried to do that here. Why would they cancel it all together, why not just move it to daylight hours if they're so worried?
I have no idea of the facts on this, but I feel safer with my kids out on Halloween night than any other night. Every police officer, firetruck and ambulance is out and driving around all night with spotlights and flashing lights. People are sitting on their porches and walking the streets. With all of those witnesses and bright lights, how could Halloween possibly be more dangerous than any regular night?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ooh, this gets me riled. It's bad enough when towns try to put curfews on Trick-or-Treating, now they're actually trying force people to stop doing it all together? Of all the stupid, out of line, overly imposing, spiritless things to do!

The town should get together and do what they did at the end of the King of The Hill episode "Halloween" - put on costumes and march down the street together shouting Trick-Or-Treat on Halloween night!

·
Registered
119 Posts
A poster in a comments section on a news story about this said that over 100 homes have been broken into so far, that most of the residents are elderly and afraid of people coming to their doors in costumes. They have a population of 788, number per house is 2.32, is that about 339 homes? If over 100 have been broken into, even taking into account the rural homes, they have much worse problems than what to do about Halloween.

G

·
0 Posts
A poster in a comments section on a news story about this said that over 100 homes have been broken into so far, that most of the residents are elderly and afraid of people coming to their doors in costumes. They have a population of 788, number per house is 2.32, is that about 339 homes? If over 100 have been broken into, even taking into account the rural homes, they have much worse problems than what to do about Halloween.
I totally agree Aunt; seems like someone is not doing their job to keep the citizens safe.
hmmmm, seems like there is an under-lying motive here.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Whatever happened to America, land of the free and home of the brave? It seems like any forms of freedom are going out the window in a hurry and that the most ignorant lot of people are getting their way at all times, just so they won't be unhappy. If someone doesn't like something, don't look at it, celebrate it, etc. There's no reason to impose anyone's will on another, as far as I'm concerned, since not everyone is into the same things, or against. Seems like America is quickly turning into a third-world country in too many ways to count...:confused:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'd love to see the statistics from the police that home breakins increase on Halloween.

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
If I lived there I would take this as a challenge. I don't take very well to being told what I can and cannot do. I would still decorate and I would still let people know my house was open for trick or treating. Complete stupidity to announce that there will be a 4 hour party at the fire station. All the thieves have to do is pay attention to who has children and who doesn't. If citizens are afraid of strangers coming to their homes in costume on Halloween here's an idea.....don't put your porch light on if you don't want anyone knocking on your door. We never went to houses that didn't have a porch light on or a decoration lit. Stupid...Stupid...Stupid..but I am guessing that's why so many homes were broken into and no one has been caught..Keystone Cops at their best.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The town needs to focus on dealing with the robbers and not on forbidding things the townspeople enjoy.

If people don't want to answer their door on Halloween, they don't have to. It's easy enough to put a sign on the outside of the door saying, "No candy, sorry". It's not like the robbers are waiting till Halloween to try to slip into people's houses, the break ins have been happening with no one opening the door.

·
Registered
162 Posts
sounds to me like the residents don't give a fig about the kids' safety and are afraid of them.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
If they want to have an "alternative" such as they described then that's fine but when they take it a step further and ban trick or treat, then that's taking away a persons rights....They are basically making the community's mind up for them whether they like it or not.....That's what doesn't sit well with me.....ZR

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
They say the robbers have been wearing costumes.... well, were they mostly around the 3'-4' tall range and not too well coordinated? Sounds like a dictatorship, not a democracy. A lot of great points already made by members here, so I won't say anymore.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry I don't understand... what will happen if a kid goes TOT with their parent?

Arrest?

Prosecution?

In the 'land of the free'?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts