Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of shrinking my haunted house this year to be much smaller and much more toddler oriented. My teenage step kids don't want to help set up and clean up the larger gory haunted house I have done in the past, so I want to concentrate on my young daughter and do a haunted house for her. She will be two and a half for Halloween in 2009.

My wife and I did a small little kids maze in the front yard for 2008, which was a big hit. I want to do something similar for 2009, but expand on it a bit, and add some automated props.

I need some ideas for different areas. Of course there will have to be a Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin area. But I am trying to decide what other areas to build, that won’t be scary for a toddler.

If you have seen any of my posts, you’ll know I have no problem with electronics/motors/pneumatics – I was considering just lighting effects and motors for this type of haunt, The pneumatics are too quick an too scary for toddlers (I think).

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I'd say to go with tactile props that are more felt than seen, such as hanging string 'webs' that brush against the kids as they walk through, and, of course, using some of your less-scary decorations.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
A big fun house is pretty much all we do every year with a nice backyard trail to boot. Now that I have 6 Bubble foggers we'll make the garage a big bubble room with the leafblower in the attic for that little startle effect with the bubbles blowing around everywhere, they should love that. Our avg. age is about 6 years old so we never do any gory or very scary stuff. But we do have actors who hide and jump out for the older ones along with plenty of fog and some creepy static props so that we can entertain them all and the adults love it and thank us for not being too scary. But we still have to beg a few to walk the trail, funny thing is the older ones are the most scare to enter ?!?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi
I do a kid-friendly haunt every year. I transform my garage into a walk through haunt and make vignettes. I did pirates playing poker with pirate loot all around, cards, pirate flag, rum bottles and a light up treasure chest. Next was a dot room, which you have. Then I had a witch's area. A friendly witch and one of those cauldrons that gives off mist (the small kids love the lights and the steam). Then I had a friendly mummy (dollar store mummy mask was more goofy than scary). And I made a pretend fireplace that they pushed the flap open and went into a "secret" kids room aka scooby doo. Inside the secret room, I had a bunch of stuffed animals all around, all illuminated by black light. OH and at the entrance and exit of the dot room, I hung those neon colored pool noodles. Kids liked to walk through those and they were the same color as the dot room.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I always thought a fairy tale/ Disney villians theme would make an awesome children's haunted house. The wicked queen/hag from Snow White, the evil fairy Malcif...crap can't spell it, from Sleeping Beauty, Urusula from Little Mermaid if you want to get real elaborate, Wicked Stepmother from Cinderella, Big Bad wolk from Red Riding Hood, Wicked witch of the west of course. I do love Disney villians.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts