Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Master of my own Universe
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things I have been looking for is embellishments to add to my tombstone.
So far, I have only seen the wooden ones at Lowes which work out about $7 per pair
Therefore my quest has been to either find some at thrift stores or find a supply of molds so I can cast my own.

Then this hit me, I was about to throw away the plastic tray from a pack of cupcakes.
The design at the bottom reminded me of rosettes, so I tried a quick cast….

You will need

Hostess twin pack cup cake
Plaster of Paris

First, take the two cupcakes from the plastic tray and eat them (the best part of this how to!)
With the remaining tray, wash in hot water to remove any crumbs, etc.

Push any indentations back into place. (I found that the end of a small paint brush was ideal)
Mix up a small quantity of Plaster of Paris, 1/4 cup plaster to 1/8 cup of water should suffice, depending how thick you want the cast to be.

Add half the mixture to each tray cup.

Tap the tray a few times onto a flat surface to get rid of any air bubbles.

Allow the mixture to set for at least 15 minutes, and then remove from tray. (One of the castings will have the recycle symbol on, which can be scratched off).

The tray is durable enough to allow more castings.

A quick paint job to show how they will look

I will be on the look-out now for any other everyday items that can be used as a mold, let me know if you have any suggestions.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,877 Posts
LOVE it! It looks like a carved piece and I can't believe you did it from cupcake plastic!

I've been seeing more and more everyday items and toys and junk that can be used on tombstones... there really is treasure everywhere! ;)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Herman, I also use the chocolate lolipop molds that you can buy from the craft shops like Micheal's, I have several skull ones from thier Halloween molds.

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
Man, if only I could make those from the Little Debbie Swiss Rolls wrappers, I'd be in Heaven. Seriously, what a great simple idea most anyone could do (in other words, me). I'm desperate for tombstone ideas, because I have zero tombstones as of now (left all my stuff in FL) and my creative juices have run dry. I'm definately going to try this. Keep these ideas coming and thanks!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Glue them on a piece of wood and you could use them as rosettes around the doors of your house.I bought some wood craved one a few years ago for restoring my house and they were about 10 bucks apiece.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Another ingenious idea!!

Keep 'em coming Herman!

·
Registered
250 Posts
You can pick up molds pretty cheaply on eBay, too -- I got a nice skull mold there -- just do a search for what you would like, gargoyle, skull, bat, etc. plus "mold" -- you can use gorilla glue to stick the finished product on your tombstone.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm sitting here eating Del Monte peaches in the little 4 oz. cup...and...it's a very similar shape. Do you think Great Stuff would work for this?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts