Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a couple of barrels for my set up and time was running out so I came up with this.
October 2012 031.jpg
First I went to the grocery store and bought a couple of these.
hefe_5l_keg_can.jpg
Then got some buddies and drank them. After the fun part, came the work. Pull out the vent in the top and the tap on the bottom side. Rinse the can out with water and let it dry out. Next give it a light sanding with some 120 grit sand paper and spray with flat black enamel so it looks like this.
October 2012 038.jpg
Paint it with a dark brown flat paint. I used a dark chocolate latex I picked up off the mis-tint paint counter at Home Depot on the cheap. That is where I get a lot of my prop paints. It should then be looking like this about now.
October 2012 002.jpg
Next use a lighter brown to paint a faux wood grain. If your not sure how to do this, do some internet research on it and practice on some cardboard so you get this look.
October 2012 043.jpg
Now all you have to do is paint on some metal bands. Here I used a pewter acrylic and highlighted it with some silver on the finished barrels. You could leave it at that or paint on what ever you want it to be inside the barrel. Have fun and let your imagination run with it.
October 2012 044.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is very cool and nicely done! What size container did you start with? Not sure I need barrels at the moment but, it might be fun to start by emptying some and then see where I can use them. I also thought that it might be cool to run a small fog machine in the bottom port of the gun powder and let the fog come out the top. Maybe add a red light too. Then the gun powder could be burning from the inside.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Hefeweizen mini-keg is 5 liters. They measure almost 10" H. x 7" D. Fog and lights are always fun ! The Gun Powder one is going next to my cannon prop, it has a wireless remote controlled fog machine and red light inside the gun barrel. The Kids love it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your welcome Pumpkin I would like to see if anyone has made one for themselves and would post a pic. They would probably look out better than mine. So if you any of you have lets see them. Its only a two evening project once you empty the keg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts