Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I'm new to your forum but have been busily reading up on everything! :D

I am in the midst of planning my first annual party and could use an idea or three. I've been busily making props, hit a big score on craigslist when someone was moving and needed to "get rid" of all of their halloween stuff, have been jotting down themes for rooms, and assembling the guest list/invite.

My small guest bathroom will be completely black light oriented and I would like to have a "wow" factor in there. My ideas so far are as follows:

• Deep jacuzzi tub that will be partially filled with tonic water
  • Spiders that glow will be dangling from the vent
  • 2 small shower shelves will each hold one potion bottle of sorts with a glowing item in them

Is that enough? I think I might need something on the other side of the bathroom, possibly on the wall behind the door, on the back of the door or both! Any ideas/comments are greatly appreciated, and I should mention "shoe string budget!"

Thanks in advance,
Venomiss

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Um, with a jacuzzi tub and all the other stuff you're talking about, that doesn't sound small at all. ;)

Keep in mind that true black lights will cause body fluids to glow as well. Yes, that's what I mean. You will be cleaning like MAD after you see what a bathroom can look like. :eek:

For cheap and easy, use SOUND. I have a portable cd player hooked up to two computer speakers and have it looping a soundtrack. A few years ago it was a woman sobbing that would fade in and out. Last year was insane sounding giggling.

I hid the whole thing (cd/speakers) up in the air vent and no one could hear it until they shut the door... and it freaked every single person out. :D And even if they did figure out where it was. they'd need a ladder and screwdriver to get it to stop.

You could get some cheap glass clings of things like blood splats (saw some at the dollar tree), blood-spattered shower curtain (if you use one - I got a clear plastic one at the dollar store and using latex surgical gloves and red spray paint applied handprints and blood spray to it), a green or blue light inside of cabinets...

I really want this:
ThinkGeek :: LED Faucet Lights

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Um, with a jacuzzi tub and all the other stuff you're talking about, that doesn't sound small at all. ;)

Keep in mind that true black lights will cause body fluids to glow as well. Yes, that's what I mean. You will be cleaning like MAD after you see what a bathroom can look like. :eek:

For cheap and easy, use SOUND. I have a portable cd player hooked up to two computer speakers and have it looping a soundtrack. A few years ago it was a woman sobbing that would fade in and out. Last year was insane sounding giggling.

I hid the whole thing (cd/speakers) up in the air vent and no one could hear it until they shut the door... and it freaked every single person out. :D And even if they did figure out where it was. they'd need a ladder and screwdriver to get it to stop.

You could get some cheap glass clings of things like blood splats (saw some at the dollar tree), blood-spattered shower curtain (if you use one - I got a clear plastic one at the dollar store and using latex surgical gloves and red spray paint applied handprints and blood spray to it), a green or blue light inside of cabinets...

I really want this:
That water faucet gig is quite fun!! Oh, and I've tested the blacklights in there and was HORRIFIED at everything. I need to clean clean clean WITH the black light on! ha ha ha

I have also been recently stalking my favorite "Dollar Tree" store. I"m sure the clerks there think I'm nuts popping in once a week to see what's new! ...afterall, it's on the way home! ha ha

The music thing sounds interesting too. As I was typing my original question, I thought, Hmm, my glue sticks glow like the tonic water does. I wonder if I could do a glue stick application of sorts to the back of the door. Don't worry, the door is SHOT and needs replacing anyhow and this would be a good excuse to finally get it done! ha ha.

Ps, the jacuzzi tub is about regular tub shape and size, just a bit deeper with jets in it!

-V

Registered

I really want this:
Your idea/use of sound is verbatim what I would have said. The idea of sitting on the toilet... not being able to move and hearing little creepy kid laughter makes me laugh with evil delight.

The Goddess of Screams
DeadTed, YOU make me laugh with evil delight!! ;)

I have the same issues as you Venomiss, I even have the jacuzzi tub. But I'm thinking of going the "BATROOM" route this year. All bats. Other than that, not sure what to do though! LOL

Frankie's Girl - I LOVE LOVE that faucet!! But it's the whole thing - I was hoping it just screwed onto your current faucet. My accessories are all the dark oiled bronze so it wouldn't look right. :(

Venomiss, if you could rig up some sound like's been suggested, you could hot glue HELP in scraggly letters on the back of the door, that'd be kinda eerie, with the right sound playing.

Registered
Last year I had chopped up body parts with a large bloody cleaver, a bloody drippy looking clear shower curtain, white towels with bloody handprints (did I mention the bloody part?)...but the thing that got the most comments was the sound-activated spider that dropped down when they closed the door (it was behind the door on the wall). They said it almost scared the u-know-what out of them....:D :D :D

This year I'm gonna do a spider den....I think the white spider egg sacks will glow nicely under your black lights....;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8

Registered
Depending on the theme around the house--I would say a shower curtain could live'n it up- black or deep red, etc. I have seen some that are white with black scroll designs that are in fashion right now. Candles are the best way to give a creepy mood- in halloween votives--or in lanterns. They will give off shadows--Home Goods is a great place to find stuff like this....Good Luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Depending on the theme around the house--I would say a shower curtain could live'n it up- black or deep red, etc. I have seen some that are white with black scroll designs that are in fashion right now. Candles are the best way to give a creepy mood- in halloween votives--or in laterns. They will give off shadows--Home Goods is a great place to find stuff like this....Good Luck!

I"m afraid a bit of "mish-mash" theme. Well, each room will have it's own idea with something from the next room tied into it if that makes ANY sense at all! I'm second guessing the blacklight in the bathroom idea now, though I like a spooky shower curtain idea.

...the "bloody, did I mention bloody" stuff might be a bit gory for me. I'm not "cutesy halloween" but not gory either. A nice in between! ha!

Registered

Yeah, be careful with that. I learned the hard way when I tried making a haunted house effect by covering the furniture with white sheets and using black light. Use new sheets! Especially if you are an "active" college student like I was those years ago! :eek: :rolleyes: I should have tried the black light effect before guests arrived. :eek:

Registered
Ooops, the system was acting up and I didn't realize the reply posted again. :eek:

Registered
How about the shower music from psycho, with home made blood dripping all over the tub?

Registered
Did it again! Sorry.

Registered
Venomiss;712883.... I'm second guessing the blacklight in the bathroom idea now said:
I agree, Venomiss, I don't think the black light is going to be a great idea for the bathroom...you know I remember---- Target usually has bathroom items, like hand towels, shower curtain/hooks, bath mats with skeletons, etc. Maybe that's too cutsie? I am sure they will have something nice in this year. They ALWAYS has great stuff that can work for Halloween....hope that helps.

Registered
perhaps some spider egg sacks as well. Excellent for small spaces.

I have to ask are you having small children or drunk people at your party? If so you might want to rethink the water idea in the jaccuzi as someone could even drown...... small kids will be attracted to the water when they are going potty and well we all know drunk people.
Now having said that if you are going to do water in it because everyone will be safe and sound then you could do floating candles (pumpkins or leaves) etc.

You could write creepy messages with lipstick on the mirror ... nothing too gory necessarily.

put some caution tape around the outside of the toilet tank and top?

I often sit decorations on the back of my tank too (stuff that is washable of course) pumpkins or candles.

You can find bathmats and soap dispensers that are halloween themed for the sink and towels and washcloth sets as well. So much you can do for a small space. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, Venomiss, I don't think the black light is going to be a great idea for the bathroom...you know I remember---- Target usually has bathroom items, like hand towels, shower curtain/hooks, bath mats with skeletons, etc. Maybe that's too cutsie? I am sure they will have something nice in this year. They ALWAYS has great stuff that can work for Halloween....hope that helps.
Oh, no no no, not too cute! In fact, I have orange/black towels as well as spider towels for the room already. :)

And for whomever posted about the kids/drunks (sorry, forget who at the moment) No kids will be there and the adults? Well...there may be some booze. hahahahaha. The tonic water will only fill about 1" of the tub actually, but I think I'll nix the black light bathroom idea and go with spiders/ghosts and someone mentioned egg sacks. I assume I'll find a "how to" on that one somewhere on the other threads? :)

Thanks everyone!

Registered
We put a Mrs. Bates "prop" in the tub with a knife in her hand. Then we arrange a blond wig and pink nightgown in bottom of tub with lots of blood. Looks like the scene from Psycho. Then we put a strobe light in bottom of tub, gives it an eerie effect, at least till someone turns the lights on. Love the idea of spider sacs and doing the drop down spider. Might try that this year instead. Music in the vent is pretty cool too.

Registered
I probably have the worlds smallest guest bathroom. It is not much bigger than an airplane bathroom (not kidding). I completely fill it with spiders. On the walls, ceiling, spider egg sacks. Last year I put one of those silly dropping spiders on the ceiling above the toilet. It scared the crap (literally) out of people. It totally creeps people out. I even had some people who would not use that bathroom because of all of the spiders, so I always make sure one of the other bathrooms upstairs is "guest ready" (read clean!).

Chocolate is my BFF!
you might want a large body skeleton to display in the corner, chained or not with snakes, spiders and rat in certain places. blood splats are must and yes fading screaming, laughters, or what ever that floats your boat is a must. Love the black lights idea.

I am with Venomiss I, too is in between cutest and gory stuff. Much much gory becomes bit too tacky. But that is just me.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts