Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to have posted this, but I have a question about using Sliding doors in a haunt. Has anyone had any practice with this? I want to put together a Maze with sliding doors that open and close letting guests move through at the haunters will. It also would give multiple choices for the guests and would make the haunt different each time.
So if anyone can help me, please let me know. Big decisions being made! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've seen something similar to that in a video by Steve Hickman from Terror Syndicate. When he is discussing haunt layout he mentions that he uses one way doors (though he refers to it with a different term that eludes me right now) to allow the guests to travel through a portion of the haunt, then the door closes blocking the path back, but opening a new exit. He also changes the lighting in those areas when the door closes. This allows the patrons to go back through the same area but with a different feel, possibly even exposing previous unseens props.

I'm sorry I don't have any links for sliding doors per say in haunt use, but if your struggling with the construction plans, you can look at pocket door construction. Or you can even look at sliding barn door construction (door hangs on a heavy duty over head rail).

Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank u ezekiel! I will definitely look it up right away!

·
Registered
343 Posts
So, if I'm understanding you correctly you want a shape changing maze.That's a pretty cool idea. I would suggest building a frame out of 2x2 lumber and covering it with hardboard panels. Next get two pieces of U-shaped metal the length that you want the panel to move. Have one piece recessed in the floor, and put one in the ceiling. Next, you need to get about 4 to 6 pieces of metal that will fit into the U shaped channels with some room leftover. Get 6 skate berrings for each piece and mount them so that 2 berrings are contacting each side of the U-channel. Bolt these pieces to each corner of the panel, and in the center if its very big. The betting pieces will support the panel and allow it to move effortlessly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, you could also rig up some motors to some mat switches, so that the walls moved automatically when they stepped in s certain spot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts