Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
You did a great job on the coffin. Having the lid opening and slamming shut will definitely bring some scares. Have a hand of some kind put where it looks like it is what is trying to lift the lid. Can't wait to see it in action.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I built this exact coffin about six years ago. I put a 6 inch stroke cylinder with a rear pivot and pivot brackets at the rod clevis. I needed something bigger so I could reach my arms into it in case something went wrong. It is bolted on each pivot point. I made it extremely violent so it looks really good. I put some red lights inside that flash on the second channel of the BooboxFlex. You can do the same on the picoboo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow Industen thats nuts lol I love it. Would washers work to keep it from breaking through the wood? And how long would a 5gal tank last if I did open close real fast in a burst of 10 reps? I'm thinking of adding a tank inside of it and run a hose to the compressor.

And J-man I'll look on eBay but I'm still going to need a control box and mounting brackets. This being my first time maybe I should get the kit.

And yes I got to do a hand and lights :)
And I don't think a door actuator would lift my door but but I could try it. I want that violent banging effect.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I just used 4 electrical cover plates. It gave it some stability in that area. I have had washers pop through with a bolt. You do not want to use screws.

5 gal tank would give you quite a bit of activation but depends on the bore and stroke. If you are talking "in line" with a compressor don't bother. A small pancake compressor can run 5 to 7 props. I have two compressors one 7 gallon, one 30gal, and 8 5gal aux tanks. I have 30 pneumatics.

Door actuator can lift a lot but is really not fast.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a powerful air compressor but its not meant to run long times. So I was thinking a 2nd tank to keep the run times down. I think its 1 1/8 bore 3" stroke.
And I could add plates to the lid and cover it up with a cross board like the ones I have on the lid now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nice coffin! That looks like the same one I made. I use a 3/4 bore 4" stroke double acting on mine. Speaking of that, I should probably test mine out before I set it up here shortly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice coffin! That looks like the same one I made. I use a 3/4 bore 4" stroke double acting on mine. Speaking of that, I should probably test mine out before I set it up here shortly.
I like that alot. Did you use quick exhaust valves on that? Thats the effect Im looking for, but just a bit faster. Im afraid its going to break lol. What type of wood did you use? I used pressure treated pickets and they are still a bit wet. I hope after they dry out more it will get lighter.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I like that alot. Did you use quick exhaust valves on that? Thats the effect Im looking for, but just a bit faster. Im afraid its going to break lol. What type of wood did you use? I used pressure treated pickets and they are still a bit wet. I hope after they dry out more it will get lighter.
Nope, i just put the standard mufflers on the exhaust, i thought about limiting the speed, but the full effect is worth it to me. it bangs pretty good. Yess, i believe i used the fence pickets, i dont think mine were treated though. I stained last year, built it prob 3 years ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the kit came today and the wood has dried up a bit, the lid lost about 5 lbs :) I got pneumatic cylinder mounted but have not tested it yet. I hope this thing holds up. On the top I added JB weld epoxy steel stuff to where the screw heads were, now the look like nail heads.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Looks great but just an FYI, you don't need a double acting cylinder for this. While it will work and allows you to possibly re-purpose it down the road, a single acting cylinder works perfect due to the weight of the lid. I would try it with just an exhaust fitting on the top instead of using air pressure to close the lid. Using air pressure to close the lid along with the weight could possibly tear the top mount loose after awhile.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point I’ll try that first when I get my fitting to hook it up, I forget one connector. But I got the double in case I wanted to stand it up right. I’m hoping it works flat on the ground first.
Should I start with 30 psi?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Good point I’ll try that first when I get my fitting to hook it up, I forget one connector. But I got the double in case I wanted to stand it up right. I’m hoping it works flat on the ground first.
Should I start with 30 psi?
Yeah, 30 psi should be plenty. As for standing it upright, a return spring would work with a single acting cylinder. Here's mine, 1" bore 2" stroke single acting on 30 psi.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yea, single acting do work fine. Mine is the double just in case for later on down the road projects. Nice coffin build! I'm going to do another hopefully for next year. Mine is on 40ish, the recommended is 40, but 30 should be plenty. Just keep your main air tank pressure set at 120 and put your regulator inside of the coffin at 30-40.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I had to fix and replace the regulator on my air compressor and fix all the leaks. But I got it up and running. If i want to save on air do I need to replace the 4way valve with a 3way and let the weight close the top?
Here is a video of what I have so far, sorry audio is low

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Well I had to fix and replace the regulator on my air compressor and fix all the leaks. But I got it up and running. If i want to save on air do I need to replace the 4way valve with a 3way and let the weight close the top?
Here is a video of what I have so far, sorry audio is low
You could just plug that port on the valve. The lid is coming up pretty high though, you may need a spring to assist the down movement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
7 Participants
rhconcepts
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing