Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a skull I'm working on and I'm going to try to mass produce them. My current dilemma is which direction to go.

What I have is a thin plastic skull that I glued a magnet into and it sits flat against my door. Ok. it looks neat... for an amateur, but I'm a seasoned pro. I want to make it look like it had spiked thru the door. So I'm thinking of sculpting a large spike and making it look like it was pounded thru the top of the skull into the door. The purpose of the spike is secretly to hide a small LED, that would shine a thin light down onto the skull making it visible from the street, and make it look a lot scarier to would be trick-or-treaters.

ok.. so far.. so good. Skull, spiked thru a door. It's think and very light weight, it has self illumination. Could be used on any metallic surface, such as a front door (mine is metal), or a fridge, or an office filing cabinet...

Ok, now I ask you.. should I add a small piece in the back so it could be hung on a hook for a wooden door?

Should I make something hanging out of it's mouth (it has no lower jaw by the way) for example, a snake coming up thru the mouth and out thru the eye perhaps?

Once I make one, I'm going to approach Spirit and see if they want to by it from me, in which case I would then have them mass produced. I'll be sure to offer then thru here as well. :)

Look forward to some good feedback. :)

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Just a thought on mounting - I'd recommend a keyhole type of opening in the back to hang this from a nail or screw (assuming the back is flat - otherwise, some form of small bracket in the back if the back is open).

Reason being: most people are not going to have a metal door or surface for mounting.
I can see this being hung on walls as well, especially in home-haunts where the walls are made of foam / cardboard / wood / other non-ferrous materials...

Personally, adding a snake wouldn't make the prop any more appealing to me, but that's just one opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe... good ideas. :)

Yeah, the snake was just something I threw out there. Wasn't sure if it was good enough as a stand alone piece, but perhaps it is.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Def a hole in the event of a nail or screw. And something a wreath hook could fit on. But my door is metal too so I'm good to go! The spike sounds awesome and I'd love to see some crawly thing slithering out of a mouth ot eye socket!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Yeah..a keyhole slot on the back for nail or screw hanging and also a fold flat wire fixing for hook hanging..should cover everything.

personally, I wouldn't bother with the snakes etc just yet. See how the basic models go and maybe do some "enhanced " versions later if they go well.

I'd like to see some pic's when you have them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts