Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
skelly coffin 2.jpg

Had a few requests for more pics and answers to how i did this prop, so here goes the tut!

Igredients I used:
Styrofoam Coffin (www.spookyblue.com)
4 Walgreens Skeletons
2 - 10' 3/4" pvc pipes
4 - 4' rebar
Florist Wire

You need to take the skeletons apart in the middle of the spine, and use a knife of some kind to enlarge the holes in the spine so the pvc can fit through all the way up to the base of the neck. Cut a hole in bottom of the pelvis as well. WHen you do this, you wont be able to screw the two back together, so I put a small screw through the spine of the bottom half of the skeleton into the pvc to hold it in place.

skelly coffin 6.jpg

skelly coffin 5.jpg

skelly coffin 4.jpg

skelly coffin 3.jpg

I painted the pvc flat black and cut to length so that when inserted, the skeletons feet would just barely sit on the ground.

Pound the rebar into the ground, then slide the pvc over that, then the skeleton.

skelly coffin 9.jpg

WHen i got the legs where i wanted them, i put a screw through the pelvis into the top of the leg bone.

skelly coffin 7.jpg

I removed the inside arm of each skeleton and set the coffin on their shoulders. I used the wire to tie the shoulders of the skeletons to each other, and to the coffin itself. just punched two small holes in the coffin and fed the wire through. Did the same thing to hold the hands in place on the side of the coffin. First pic is looking forward from the back of the coffin.

skelly coffin 8.jpg

skelly coffin 10.jpg

skelly coffin.jpg

Thats basically it. I still plan on propping open the lid with a pair of arms and lighting the inside. may also put a small fog machine in as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You could also use just rebar if you can cut it to length (which i couldnt), so i slid pvc over the rebar.

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
Maybe I missed it on one of the "generic decorations of the year" threads, but... have any of you guys who did this setup posted a photo of it at night? :D

I really wish I had more room... maybe next year I'll have cleaned out the garage enough to be able to add one or two new things, I'm already pushing it with one of these skeletons and fate decided our local Spirit wouldn't have the floor candelabras in stock. Ahwell.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to paint the coffin a lighter color, since you cant really see what they are carrying at night. Will post a night pic asap.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That's awesome. You should paint the coffin to look like it's made of dirty boards, add some dirt to it, and add another skeleton carrying a shovel.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really easy project too. Keep an eye out for the Walgreens skeletons next year. My stores had them out middle of September. AS soon as i found out about them from the forum here, i went searching. came up with 5. would like a couple more....of course. can never have too many nice skeletons laying around. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey 350Kaptain - Nice work! I will be making one of these next year.

What do you think that putting a wiper motor inside the coffin and rigging up some guide wires to make the legs move?

Thanks.

PB

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey 350Kaptain - Nice work! I will be making one of these next year.

What do you think that putting a wiper motor inside the coffin and rigging up some guide wires to make the legs move?

Thanks.

PB
THAT would be a cool idea!

THe only thing my haunt is really missing is some sort of movement. So far, everything is static. For next year, i would like the coffin lid to open and close. ALso need a tombstone peeper and some head movement in my characters.

Lots to plan over the winter

·
Registered
501 Posts
It is a never ending battle!

I started off with some old favorites from the Monster List for movement. Old fans covered with a mask and a Christmas deer turned into a werewolf. Quick and easy and movement.

Happy Haunting!

PB

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My pleasure! will get the pics up asap with the new improvements once they are done. Too many projects.....too little time! :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
My pleasure! will get the pics up asap with the new improvements once they are done. Too many projects.....too little time! :)
Hey, Captain, I'm not done yet, but it's pretty close. I didn't take the skellies apart, I just cut 5 foot pieces of rebar, placed them behind the skellies and then zip tied them through the rib cage to the rebar. The notching of the rebar is holding up the skellies pretty well without doing too much damage. Check out the pic. I have to just rig some wire for the hands, attach the top of the coffin so it stays open, and then I'll be done!!! halloweengrandin 054.jpg halloweengrandin 049.jpg And Count Dogula!!! krishalloween.jpg

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
31 Participants
mdutso
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing