Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
inspired by a number of haunted playgrounds on here, I'm planning to add a scene to our display where skeletons will be playing.
I picked up a Little Tykes slide, made of hard plastic, and I'm looking for ideas on how to make it look old. I'm thinking spray paint, a mix of rust, brown, and silver colors? That's relatively easy, but it'll still look like a new paint job.

I'm anxious to hear what ideas the creative minds of HF have. Here's a picture of it now.

TIA!!!
Joe

Attachments

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Hey Joe!! :D
Funny thing... I have the same slide and was staring at it last summer thinking something similar. I ran out of time, and I finally gave up. hahaha

The thoughts I did have were along the lines of using a grey primer over all. Then an uneven coat of a silver spray paint. Then splotches and spurts of brown and rust colored (stone) textured spray to give it a little grit and rust look. I was not planning on a very realistic look on it, as I just wanted it to blend in with our new zombie babies scene, so I didn't have to spend too much time.

I used the primer and silver spray to paint this red toy into silver.

aliens.jpg

For this cozy coupe, I used a flat army green spray paint and splotches of the orange and texture spray to make it look grimy. (I'm not finished with this yet).

1 (6).jpg

My thoughts are that I was not looking for realism at all. Just some background props to feature the creepy babies. You know my stuff is always cartoonish, so this was probably no help. LOL

One thing I will say is to remember that unless it is behind a fence... kids are ALWAYS going to try to climb on and play with the Little Tikes stuff. Always. LOL

Good luck! Let us know what you do.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All.

Abunai, the spray foam is a good idea, that should create some small shadows too, add to the "old" effect. I'll have to practice to get a thin layer, sounds easy, but I'm guessing it could get tricky.

Hilda, you are the Michelangelo of painting plastic. I'd be a fool not to follow your advice. I like the fun, even cartoonish (your description) look; I avoid the really creepy, gory stuff. We get a lot of little kids so I want to enjoy it and have fun at our display. The textured paint idea sounds good, especially coupled with thin layer of foam.

The expression on the baby driving is a perfect resemblance to many people driving on the interstate around here, LOL!!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!!!
Joe

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Awww shucks. You are too sweet!

I really like the Great Stuff idea too. I've been using that for so many things this past year. You can get it really thin. Just using your hands (gloved of course) to rub it onto a surface leaves behind a nice bumpy grimy look. I bet it would be great for making rusty spots here and there. I did a 'crappified fish tank' where you mix potting soil into the Great Stuff as you rub it on. It was spectacularly cruddified.

I am psyched. You go first. Come back and report. LOL :D :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
One suggestion on the painting. Whichever way you go, I found if you sand paper the plastic the paint or foam will stick better.
Love the idea of a skeleton playground. some cool scenes at #crazybonez . I do something new each year with all my pose n stay skeletons.
comical8.jpg
1119LW.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One suggestion on the painting. Whichever way you go, I found if you sand paper the plastic the paint or foam will stick better.
Love the idea of a skeleton playground. some cool scenes at #crazybonez . I do something new each year with all my pose n stay skeletons.
View attachment 237506
View attachment 237507
Thanks Kreepy Kevin. I will sand the surface first, that's good practice to help the paint bond. Didn't think about it helping the foam but that makes sense too. Where can I find the cool scenes you mentioned, "at #crazybonez"? TIA

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If trying to paint the plastic that is slick and flexible I was told some silicone might be left on the plastic from it's" parent mold" which will defeat a paint job, so you were supposed to wash the plastic item with liquid dish washing detergent first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts