Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since last year i have been trying to make a set of hands holding 2 lanterns. I then want to attach them to the wall outside on each side of the door. I am trying to figure out the best way to do this because it takes forever for super glue to dry, jb weld doesn't work and neither does hot glue to hold the lanterns to the hands. These are the poseable hands I found online and lanterns from wal wart I distressed.

Also I need ideas to stick these to the house and any other ideas to make this look good. ..this one is kinda frustrating me lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what I'm trying to get connected somehow

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, yeah I've been trying to get that picture on here for 10 mins

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
How about a white zip-tie on the middle (presumably strongest) finger? That would give a little flexibility without breaking connection the way glue is likely to do.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Would be cool to see a how-to on this. Did you have to dislocate the fingers? Can the bendable hands be done on a costco skelly?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the hands I bought were completely poseable so as of now nothing has been cut. I am pretty sure now that I've been working on these for so long any hand could be used, once I get one of them secured to a lantern I will post a how to on the other hand

·
Registered
181 Posts
i did something similar last year:

I will depend on what you are going to use to hold the arm in place. i had a piece of pvc under the wrist that was painted flat black. i ran a loop of still bailing wire and replaced the original hangar loop.

part of it may depend on your level of detail or how close people will be to the prop. If its way in the back maybe not so important,if its right up front then something more low profile. But in my pictures i couldnt see the pvc in the daytime

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
these are going to be right in everyone's face as they come up to the door. I want these to be the "porch lights" to help set the atmosphere.....plus an added distraction to help with my jumping spider to catch them off guard....that is definitely still my favorite prop so everything is being built around him surprising people

·
Registered
331 Posts
Do you have the fingers figured out then? T secure it to the wall, I would drill the largest diameter hole in the arm as deep as you can. Next find the longest lag bolt that you can find that will fit snugly in the hole (without the head). Put the lag bolt into the side of your house where you want the lanterns. Put it into a stud, you should be able to find one if you look for nails in the siding. Leave as much of the lag bolt sticking out as you can while still having it stable. Now cut the head off the bolt and slide the arm over it. Finally drill two small holes in the bottom of the arm and run some small screws in to it to either put pressure against the lag bolt or go into the lag bolt. This is to keel the arm from sliding off. Alternately you could drill a hole and epoxy in a threaded concrete anchor. then you could use threaded rod instead of the lag bolt. When Halloween is over remove the threaded rod and insert a plug that's painted to match your siding yo fill the hole until next year.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I've tried every glue imaginable for this project and finally gave up and turned to good ol fashioned fishing line. ....actually works a whole lot better, I just wish I would have done this a long time ago...I'll hang them tonight or tomorrow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts