Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the three full size skeletons I have. The big one on the left with the upraised arm is my anatomical classroom skeleton that I was lucky to find in a flea market at an absolute steal many years ago. The center one I just bought at Rite Aid about an hour ago for $30. It has pretty good detail, but is pretty cheaply made. Ribs are stapled and hot glued together, all the joints are plastic, and there are a lot of rough, untrimmed mold edges. The detail in the feet and spine is especially nice though. Toes are separate and the spine is thicker at the base, just like in real life. The Target pose n stay one the right is really nicely made, but lacks detail to the feet and the spine is not very realistic. The hands also do not rotate. Those are my only complaints about it. It's a really nice skelly and every bit worth the $40 I paid for it.

I'll probably corpse the Rite Aid one since that will cover the cheapness of the construction. The anatomical skeleton will be stalking my graveyard holding up a lantern this year. My plan for the Target pose n stay is to place it at the bottom of a graveyard tree full of spiders then blast everything with spider webs to make him a spider victim.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you're going to corps the middle one, like you said, to hide the cheapness, I'd swap the feet with the third one, that way you'll have the good feet on the naked target skelly, and cover the cheap feet with corpsing. Walmart has the same one as target, except they're $10 more, but they have the better detailed feet. The middle one is exactly the same as the "old" walgreens skelly that sold for $30. Unfortunately walgreens discontinued them, and now carries the posable ones like Walmart, also charging $50. There's some advantages and disadvantages to the new Walmart & walgreens skellies. Obviously $50 apposed to $30 is one drawback. Another is that the hips don't articulate from side to side, only forward and back, so you can't pose the legs any wider. Same goes for the shoulder joints. The arms don't lift to the sides, so he's not going to be putting his arm around anyone unless you take the joint apart and redo it. I found both of those drawbacks to be a big inconvenience in building my latest prop. Another is that the hands don't rotate like the old ones, but if your posing the wrists and leaving them, then a heat gun and a quarter twist should solve that problem. I also don't like that they blacked out the eyes and nose, but that's just me. One big advantage to the new ones is quality and detail. They're a much better made skeleton than the old walgreens ones. The skull, ribcage, spine, etc are much more realistic. I've even noticed the plastic is a bit thicker in the appendages, making him much tougher, and without really adding to the overall weight. I don't know about the feet on the new walgreens skelly, I forgot to look, but the Walmart ones have the separated more detailed bones than the Target ones. One last FYI, the new ones are a few inches smaller in height and girth than the old walgreens skelly. Not really a drawback, especially since you're getting better overall quality, but again, you're paying an extra $20 for it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I do love my Bucky skels, but they're so darned heavy... I got some lighter-weight ones at www.skeletonstore.com last year. They're nicer than the Target/Wal-Mart/Costco ones, but still not terribly authentic looking. Then again, the TOTers really don't seem to care!

(Does anyone else feel like our skels are just big old dress up dolls??)

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do love my Bucky skels, but they're so darned heavy... I got some lighter-weight ones at www.skeletonstore.com last year. They're nicer than the Target/Wal-Mart/Costco ones, but still not terribly authentic looking. Then again, the TOTers really don't seem to care!

(Does anyone else feel like our skels are just big old dress up dolls??)
My full size is my most highly prized prop, but it weighs a TON! There is a solid steel rod through it's spine that runs from the head and extends about 2 feet past the tailbone. It was part of the original mounting which was to a square base with wheels that had a post coming up from it that the rod slipped in to. All the bones are solid and made from a really dense plastic, and there are rubber disks between the vertebrae. Everything is wired together, including each individual finger and toe bone, which makes it highly poseable, once I get past the weight issue. This year I'm posing it standing and holding out a lantern. I have a piece of electrical conduit I will drive about 4 ft into the ground to support it. The rod coming from his rear slips right into the conduit and the conduit is painted black to conceal it a little.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
I've posted this before in other threads but the tibula and fibula on the pose n stays is backwards. Tiba's are medial, fibula's should be lateral. Not sure why but this drives me batty.

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
I've posted this before in other threads but the tibula and fibula on the pose n stays is backwards. Tiba's are medial, fibula's should be lateral. Not sure why but this drives me batty.
I actually remember seeing your post a while back doto. Probably still couldn't tell you the difference, like which bone was which, but I remember that some skeletons had the leg bones wrong! Should learn the difference....OK so thick bones (tibia) go on the inside. I'm going to try to remember that Tibia is connected to the Big Toe and it's the Thick bone.

·
"KAT IN THE HAT"
546 Posts
From the photo I would pick the middle skellie because he just looks cool to me. Now I want to unpack that 20' trailer to look at my guys and look at their legs. I just bought 2 recently from Costco here in Canada and I love them, but because I am moving had to pack them up right after opening (and dressing them up in weird and bizarre clothing) but over all I think if you get to own a skellie of any type they are too much fun to do any comparison you just gotta love 'em! I love my Flo, her ex boyfriend Leroy and their illegitimate son Norman! Oh I bought Norman 24" tall at a dollar store and had both his collar bones broken and still paid $13.00 for him just 'cause he was kinda cool!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts