Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while back while waiting for some paint to dry I started a skeleton cage (I know I got issues), well I left it unfinished (needed paint LoL).
Here at the house we name all my creations because years ago my son (has Asperger's syndrome) was getting too afraid so for several years I had to quit but later as he got older he told me I could start again and he would be OK so to help we decided that if we gave them names they wouldn't be so scary well meet Nick...... Cage, let me know what you think.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hope you enjoy, the cage is made from PVC lattice one of my favorite mediums for making faux metal work. It can be formed with a torch or heat gun, just make sure you have good ventilation.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mejesse68: It's great to hear that your son has found a way to enjoy your decorations. My son has Asperger's as well and we've found that the more he helps build props the less he worries about them. Adding a little humor to our displays helps him too.
Great work!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the heads up about the pvc lattice for faux metal. I would have tried to use metal strapping.
My son was diagnosed with asperger's this year. I wondered last year why he wanted to name all the scary things,(he was 4 at the time)
Now I get it. My wife and I are still learning about it, any tips would be great. Just PM me. Again great cage.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think this looks awesome. I especially love the faux rusty metal look you achieved. Can you please tell me how you did it. I have a shiny brand new oil lamp that I need to make look a hundred years old.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think this looks awesome. I especially love the faux rusty metal look you achieved. Can you please tell me how you did it. I have a shiny brand new oil lamp that I need to make look a hundred years old.
Using the PVC lattice helps because when it's heated (depending on how much torch you use) it pits a little making it look like old metal. The rest was paint I hit it first with flat black (regular house latex), I use a cheap'o automotive detail sprayer and water down the paint then while the black is some what still wet I hit it with rust colored spray paint (just dusting it to my liking) it seems that if you do it while the base coat is still drying the dusting of the rust color is more random not sticking every where. Once I'm happy with that I dry brush it very lightly with a light gray, then a water based polycrylic by min wax. The rest is luck.

One more thing that might help you, a trick I've used in the past if the metal is really smooth you could use something like frosting spray made for glass this gives you a some what rough finish to start with the do the faux paint technique.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks fantastic......hate to say it but it looks better than the real metal one i hammered out a few years ago View attachment 176253
Awesome cage thanks for the compliment, with the price of metal I had to go cheaper the total PVC cost was around $20, I definitely see some some things I like I'll be stealing if I build another one like the way you spear head the short pikes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the tutorial section I posted my first tut so don't expect too much (I'm kinda halloween tunnel vision and ADD rolled into one) any how the trick is to build a jig when you know you need to replicate the pieces, doesn't have to be fancy just so you can keep things relatively even, here are some pics of the one I used
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
So I laid out my cauldron pieces on the plywood and drew out what I wanted then added blocking for straights and rounded pieces for curves then heated the PVC (where the bends go and slipped it into the jig) the curls at the end are hard to see in the jig but I just heated it and rolled it up (you can spritz it with water to cool it quicker) once one piece is done you can use it to check the rest as you go, some imperfection was welcomed since I wanted a hand made look.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Very very nice work!
I use plastic in almost all my props but have never seen pvc lattice strips on the shelves of my local stores.
Are they plastic straps or do you cut down actual lattice to get the strips?
Where can I find it? How expensive is it?
Thanx!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very very nice work!
I use plastic in almost all my props but have never seen pvc lattice strips on the shelves of my local stores.
Are they plastic straps or do you cut down actual lattice to get the strips?
Where can I find it? How expensive is it?
Thanx!
I get it at my local Lowes
image.jpg
This is the item and cost, I first discovered it about 10 years ago
(Oh no picture is side ways on my phone, LoL … maybe it will be upright on PC)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've wanted to make one of these for the past two years, but never followed through with it because I've never seen a fake one that looked believable and a real one would be too heavy. This ideal is fantastic, keeps them light weight, looks authentic and not too expensive or difficult to replicate. Very good and creative solution to the problem of weight and costs of a real metal cage.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Scruffy, he looks like he needs a beer... Dunno why, but it just struck me as funny when I saw him!
Yup, he's just hanging' around till Halloween......i think he deserves a brewski now and then. He's only a 33" Bucky but, with the metal cage, he has to weigh around 50-60lbs. Now, in retrospect, i wish i had made the cage out of a lighter weight material.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts