Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since my last prop post so I thought I would post my latest creation.

I loved the look of skeletal hands holding a torch or candle so this is my version of those. I still need to figure out what I am going to put in the hands; torch with fake fire or a candle with a flicker LED?

Different view

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had 2 skeleton arms/hands from an old bucky, then I found the wall plates(wood) at a thrift store. I sanded the "elbow" portion of the arms until they were flat. Then I screwed them on the wall plates.

I used the the latex skin/muscles and painting technique from the skull video below. Very good video btw.

Materials used were:
Latex
Cotton balls
Super Glue
Brown, brick red, black and green acrylic paints.

Here is how I created the effect:
I first looked at anatomy books and memorized the "basic" structure of the arm(muscles, tendons and skin)

Tendons: spread out latex on a flat surface(about 9-11" long), once dry I rolled up sections of it until I had 9-11" long tendons. I glued those to the fingers and down along the hand into the space created by the two arm bones.

Muscles: unrolled cotton balls soaked in latex(see video). It took about 4-5 rolls to create the arm muscles near the elbow. Then I took latex coated cotton and created the muscle between the thumb and fingers.

Skin: panty hose(knee-highs) pulled tight over the arm after the muscles were dry. Tacked down the hose at the elbow with super glue so it would stay. Then I just brushed latex over the hose until it was completely coated.
Once dry I trimmed away the "skin" to create fingers. Then I started tearing the hose to create the ragged/ripped effect
I used the extra latex I had laying around to fill in the palms and finger area with a little "meat", just so it looked a little more filled in.
2nd Skin Layer: spread out latex in a rectangle-ish shape. Once dry I rubbed it until it created random holes and tears(see video,"nurnies"), then I powdered the latex and pulled it over the arm and parts of the hand, tacking it down with super glue every so often.

Paint: I painted using acrylic(craft) paints. I made a very runny mixture of brown paint and water and painted the arm. This "wash" goes into all the valleys and crevices. Then I painted on a second layer of darker brown wash. After that I created a muddy green(brick red and green) wash which I flicked on over the arm(see video). I did this with a darker red as well. This created spots to break up the surface so it's not all flat colored. Once that was completed I made a really runny wash with straight green. I painted the green wash in all the holes created between the skin and 2nd skin layers. I was going for a molded look.

That's it. The longest part was waiting for the latex coated cotton balls to dry.

Here's the video:

YouTube - Scary Skull in 10 minutes

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wow!

:eek: Gulp, ummmmm are you sure you made these or did you dig up someones grave, :cool: hmmmmm?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts