Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how large a home haunt people do generally. :rolleyes: Like how overboard do you get :eek:

What yard space do you take up--ie. front yard only, front and back? Do you use your garage space?

So far I've only used our front yard and porch but love so much of what I've seen I'm wondering if I can expand to the garage or side and back yard. It does get contagious especially when you find or make props you love and want to incorporate.

Specific question for Terra (hope you see this post): I watched your 2008 video (had seen your front yard already, loved it, but am curious about your walk-thru part now) and am dying to know your answer. It looks like most of your haunt maze was inside and I'm wondering if you have a really big garage area or run your haunt through a basement or something like that. It's really nice when you can have a roof overhead (weatherproof) and keep things dark. You always do a terrific job and I love your creativity.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I use my front yard, back yard and a 32x16 workshop that is located in the back yard. We have added a 4x32 "walk-through" along the back of the workshop that will also be used next year. We had just under 3000 TOTers in 2007, we took 2008 off! We have used our garage in the past but with the traffic we get we decided it was best to just leave our cars in there!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
We started out 4 years ago in a new home developement and we were the third new house in the final phase. So we just enclosed the garage that year as a one room walk-in. It was a hit so the next year we added our side yard trail between houses it was perfect for holding fog to enter our garage from the rear garage service door, once in the garage their was a tunnel maze and out the front ya go (just a "U" type walk through from front,sideyard to Garage, maybe a 50 yard walk). Last Oct. we made out biggest expansion to date, added a 100 yard backyard trail with the works (see our photo's in my profile album). Now we still use the garage as a exit with one final scare but focus less on it and do more outside, front, side and back. People seem to love walking well lit trails more than entering into darkrooms, we learned that lesson the year before when many would not go into the dark garage.>>...................................... >>>>>>>>> Next year we will expand again and add a few hundred more yards to the trail and take them into our Cedar tree grove which will be even creepy in the daytime with more good hiding places for our actors. At night I will have 2 - 12' blue floodlights to light the trail beteween the cedar trees (may go with green floods....uumm). And the garage will have a few Bubble foggers in it for a cool bubble room exit and hit them with he leafblower in the attic again to stir them bubbles up too. Can't wait to set all this up again with the new Big Lot's prop scores this year. And Halloween on Sat. should rule along with a few other party's thrown in.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I am lucky enough to have a three-car garage. So, we parked the cars out in the driveway and made it look like they crashed into each other. I hung black landscape fabric from the ceiling to create a four-part maze. It worked out great and I was surprised at how much room I ended up with! In this video (1:30 mark) I show how I hung up the fabric and you get a sense of the scale. (The video was my showing the spider room but I also explained the walls).

YouTube - Sneak Peek Halloween 2008 - Spider Room

I weighted the bottom by curling up a 2 X 2 in the bottom of the fabric and holding it down with cement blocks throughout. To cover up the garage door openings, I hung up the fabric onto hooks in the wall above the garage door openings. As I explained in the video, I sewed the fabric like it was a curtain (a quick hem with enough room to slide in the PVC pipe). Then I cut several openings so I could slip in zip ties. Then I hooked the zip ties onto the hooks in the ceiling. Think of the zip ties like shower curtain hooks. I hope I explained it good enough. Here's the rough map of the garage maze:

A couple of more notes: The garage doors were in the open position and I hung the walls from the suspended garage doors (they had areas where I could hang the zip ties). Now, I had two lengths of walls: where they were hung from the ceiling they were about 13 feet tall and where they were hung from the suspended garage doors they were 9 feet long. The garage door opening walls were 9 feet too. To join the seams together where they met, I used large safety pins.

Here's some more pictures:

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Glass eye, love your haunt. I watched your night video too and am amazed at the quality of your props. I'm guessing you are very, very busy on Halloween night.

I would have liked to have an outdoor haunt but the Kansas winds are just too much. But, it works out in the long run. By the end of the night, I'm not a Popsicle. :rolleyes:

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I take up most of the inside of the house, the porch and just a little of the yard. I have a friend who lives in town and we tend to take over her yard because people will actually get to see it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
WOW! GothicPrincess, can I come live with you???

We used to just do the front yard, then it became the front yard and the driveway. Then, when we got to big for that, we moved to the back yard. Now, we use the front yard, the driveway, the back yard and the vegetable garden, lol. Next, we need a bigger yard!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have 7 acres of land. I would roughly say 3 acres are decorated for halloween.

That means the front yard, porch, side yard, back yard, side yard, neighbors yard, 1 two garage, and inside the house.
Oooohh.....now thats a good way (acreage) of explaining the size, I wish I had said it that way...lol ! We do have a few acres of woods (mostly hardwoods but we prefer conifers for decorating and hiding in) out back but only 1 acre is Cedar trees. So we use about 2 acres with close to a 200 yrd zigzaging trail. Don't want to make it any bigger, its anuff work...ha.

·
Registered
84 Posts
we have about 1500 sq ft split into about 13 rooms. we use up our entire garage, backyard and driveway. by the time halloween comes around we usually dont have anywhere to park and our house is stuffed full of everything we have to take out of the garage. not to mention we set aside our entire dining room as a changing room/rest area for our actors. basically theres almost no living space in our house at halloween time :D but we dont mind

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm in the same boat as "UknowMyname". Our haunt is around 1,000 sq feet, give or take a few hundred and has over 10 different rooms. We have a large outdoor cemetery and a 16 by 28 foot modular maze outside. then we have our garage with 5 rooms. Here's a video of our 2008 haunt:

We are going to be adding a ton for 2009! We are going to be adding a whole new 24 x 24 building outside and expanding out other outdoor haunt. Keep your eyes open for updates!
:D.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I started about 4 years ago with just a couple of static "groundbreakers" and tombstones along with some strobe and sound effects. As you are probably aware, Halloween isn't half as big over here as it is stateside. Very few people actually have home haunts here, so even these few bits and pieces caused quite a stir among the TOTT's.

The following year I decided to incorporate the alleyway between our house and the one next door as a walkthrough. we put some black and red spider patterned curtains between the two properties and the visitors would have to walk to the end of the alleyway to collect their treats. My idea was to enlist the help of some of my 18 year old son's friends as actors to provide the scares. the alleyway is dark and very narrow, so there was nowhere for actors to hide. we overcame this by putting a few static props along the alleyway and having the costumed actors standing motionless amongst them. In the gloom it is very difficult to tell one from the other, which really helps to add to the air of menace. at the end of the alleyway is the table containing the treats. The actors do not move or respond as the visitors pass on their way to the end, (although a loud bang or groan after the TOT's have passed them has caused a few visitors to leave with damp underwear). While the visitors attention is focussed on the table and the props on it, the actors will move out silently to stand behind them. the screams when they turn around are quite impressive...simple but quite effective scare tactics.

The main problem is trying to change things year on year so things don't get too "samey".
this year, im looking to expand into the back garden, given the usual constraints of a) Cash, b) time, and c) Wife. I have plans drawn up for a graveyard scene, complete with full Zombie invasion at the end, so I'll probably end up either bankrupt, divorced or sued..still, it should be worth it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts