Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting the plans for my next project! I probably won't get this one done lol or even started before Halloween this year. I got the idea from another member earlier in the year.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/173041-sitting-scarecrow-spirit-make-your-own.htm

I got this scarecrow last year and it was my favorite prop. So many kids flung hand fulls of candy across my garage when he went off and I loved every second of it!!!

I'm not quite ready to dive into pneumatics just yet so I'm going all electric for this build. My plan so far is to build a two spine PVC body similiar to this one but making the neck the same as a cauldron creep. As in that the neck will be a 4 way cross with the shoulder connections drilled out into a slip fitting with a single pipe connecting the shoulder joints.

http://www.spiderhillpropworks.com/Twin-Spine-Body-Hardware-Kit_p_21.html

A wiper motor will be connected to one of the spines of the frame with a two part linkage controlling the up and down movement of the neck.

Here's where my plans get a little fuzzy. I'm thinking about controlling it one of 2 ways. 1 with a picovolt or 2 with a picoboo.

With the picovolt I can use the wheel to make the motor move to the top position making the head look up and stopping it. I could then use the direction controller to make the head nod up and down like he's laughing. The only problem with this is that I still need another controller for the sound and any lights I want to use.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong since the wiper is DC powered if I want the motor to change the direction of rotation all i need to do is switch the pos and neg wires? I was thinking that I could splice the motor into two of the relays with the pos and neg opposite of each other. If I'm correct to program it all I would need to do is activate the forward moving relay will the head is in the full up position and let go of the button. Then activate the rear moving relay moving it down and let up with the head in the full down position. This controller will also activate with sound and still have room for two more lights if need be.

If you have any ideas or suggestion please let me know.

Now that the project is basically done I got a few build updates.

I used an Octobanger for the controller. Here is the link to my build.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/179633-arduino-build-first-try.html

Here is how I used the Octobanger to make my motor park.
Parking Wiper Motor.JPG
You can find a bit more info on this here.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/183473-how-park-motor-arduino.html

The programming was easy. When my scare track gets triggers relay #1 opens for .5 of a second to allow half of a rotation of my wiper motor. This makes the head go from looking down to looking up. I then let the head sit there for a moment while the zombies noises play. Then when the laughter starts I open relay #1 again letting it cycle till the laughter stops. This gives him a head bobbing motion so it looks as if he laughing. Lastly I open relay #2 for just a moment to allow the motor to park so hes looking back down again.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Not sure exactly what you are asking in regards to the PicoVolt. I've never used one but it should do what you want as it can be "programmed" to operate a motor sequence in forward and reverse. It can also utilize the "Park" feature on the wiper motor which is what you would need. You are correct about about DC motor rotation, reversing the polarity will reverse the motor rotation. You can use a pair of SPDT relays to operate a DC motor forward and backward but you would need some type of controller to operate the relays. Here's a diagram. At rest, both motor leads are connected to NEG, when relay #1 gets energized it will operate the motor in one direction, when relay #2 gets energized it will operate the motor in the opposite direction. If both relays accidentally get energized at the same time, the motor will not run because both leads will be positive and no harm to anything. This is essentially an H-Bridge.

Motor reverser 2.JPG

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I see what your saying about the relays.

Sorry, the picovolt is a 12v speed and direction controller that can also control the brightness of LEDs. The Volt has a wheel on top that controls your motor. With wheel in the middle its off, if you roll it to the right the motor moves forward, roll the motor to the left the motor moves backwards.

Dang I did not think about the Picoboo not having the parking feather. Unless my programming is perfect and relays perfectly open at the same exact time the PicoBoo wont work.

So I guess my options are use the PicoVolt and a second controller for the sound or just suck it up and go with pneumatics. Or I guess my third option is to just set up a basic trigger let the head just bob up and down stopping where ever it dose.

What ever option I go with Ill place the motion trigger inside the candy bowl so it only triggers when some one reaches in.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Pneumatics may seem intimidating but it's really pretty simple. Once you try it I guarantee you'll be hooked.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its more of the price. I already have a compressor but I'm still looking at about $150 for a cheap setup.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Ebay is the place to get cylinders, you can usually get away with around $20 or less. A good solenoid is about $25.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I see what your saying. I think I'll just build it cheaply for now and upgrade it later. It would easy to add controller or trade out for pneumatics later. The basic build is all the same. Guess I got some research to do.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the frame

20170819_152947.jpg

I attached the motor using some band clamps

20170819_213959.jpg

After stepping back and looking at him I this this torso is a bit too tall.

20170819_213952.jpg

Ill shorten it a bit and post some pics soon.

·
Registered
303 Posts
it wouldn't be too hard to park it, but you need to park it in the up position, then the down position.
There is a way to add a double park feature, check out this from "creepy creations:"

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I could do something like that. I'm going to just go with a simple build this year and upgrade it for next year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts