Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need opinions, i have seriously thought of getting a folding table at Walmart and decorating it, setting up a cooler with sodas and water and sitting outside Halloween night. The issue is its going down into the 40s now. But mmostly because i like being out Halloween night and it keeps my puppy calmer so she doesnt go crazy with each ToTer

Do you all sit outside at night? Or stay inside warm?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where i would sit is in the path to the door so theyd have to climb over the table to get the porch, they should see me lol

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,913 Posts
Outside! We set up a sitting area with the bucket o candy and toys behind us. Chat, get to see the reactions and talk to the neighbors and laugh at the kids coming up... it's great fun that way!! :)

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Outside! In the old days when we only got <25 kids it was easy to stay inside, watch movies, and answer the door when necessary but now there is no way we could keep up with the demand. We'd barely get the door closed just to have to open it again. plus it stresses the dogs terribly. So we have our treat bucket and a couple of chairs and usually some adult beverages and we hand out treats and enjoy the evening. It's really the part of the season my husband enjoys the most. He's much more of a people person than me. He gets to talk to all the little monsters and I enjoy my display for one last night. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aww lilibat, i hope get more this year!

FG thats what i was thinking it sounds like fun!

ML we do get around 30 so there are periods where its quiet. If we had 100s i would just sit on the porch for sure!

·
Registered
679 Posts
We set up our Garage but with our long driveway the TOTer's have to go up to the garage. For the most part my son and i are outside in character and the wife is in the garage in character. We do have a heater in the garage so it is warm and people can warm up a bit if its cold and we have hot chocolate available as well. So we are both outside and inside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my neighborhood (Southern Michigan) many people set up the portable fire pits in our driveways to stay warm. Last year we went through 5 large bags of candy and it was only our first year of "going big" with our display. I assume we will need more candy this year so no reason to stay inside for us. Official hours are 5:30p-8:00p we typically move inside after about 9pm when the TOT's start to die off and we kill the lights sometime after 10pm.

·
redrum
986 Posts
Sit outside at the sidewalk, a lot of little kids are too scared to walk up to the house (saying that with a smile) so we hang there with a casket couch fire or folding chairs.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
First couple of years here I stayed inside where I had most of the decorations and I gave candy out at the door, 2nd or 3rd year is when I started inviting people in the house and we never looked back. 3 years they came in the front door and had to turn around in the kitchen after getting their treats and get back through the crowed to the front door to exit. After that we decorated the garage and they came in the front door , went through the house and exited the garage, worked much better. As the haunt grew over the years we learned more and more to make it all run smooth.

Come through the front, pause in the dining room for family pictures, on to the kitchen where Jerry gave out whatever were giving, kept going through the rest of the house out the back door through scenes in the garage and we had a person stationed at the garage door to help people along onto the carport where more scenes grew

I sure wish I could have been outside and last year that happened. I sat in the back of the driveway and watched them get their treats at the gypsy tent. I had mercer and doc said don't take the kids through the house so we had to do things outside. Jerry handed out the candy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is my first year owning a house (been living in an apartment) so I'm paying attention to all of this! My driveway isn't TOO long but it's quite an incline so we'll reward the ToTs who come!

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Generally we have warm or cool weather for most halloweens in which case we love sitting outside on our front porch/courtyard patio area to greet the kids when they walk up. I'll have throws for us if we feel the need for them when we don't have an interactive display and are seated in our chairs. We've also sat out there with jackets, hats and scarves on, especially as we get later into the night and the winds kick in. Two years ago the weather was really nice and we were in costume and moving about interacting with the kids and staying warm wasn't an issue. On really cold windy nights or rainy nights we are inside and constantly opening the door which is really a pain but then the numbers are usually down too. Last few years we've been getting 120-200+ kids so that's a lot of door opening. Hubby doesn't like idea of using propane patio heaters out there, and you really do have to be close to them to feel the warmth, so if we're in the front of the house, it's jackets.

A number of years ago we were re-landscaping our front and backyards so I kept Halloween planning in mind when we laid out things. Made a courtyard going to our front door (great patio area to set up and sit out in) and included half wall columns to top with gargoyles LOL. If we want to let kids into the back yard we could sit under our dining pergola back there. If it's just on the chilly side we have quartz heaters installed there that could keep us warm for a few hours, but the "roof" is slanted open so not really a option if it's rainy. We haven't used that option yet but when we re-landscaped I made sure we had a solid walkway all around the yard and exits on both sides of the house so that we could easily do a whole yard walk thru around the house. Gotta plan for halloween!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Outside always. We're going to have a large table set up and decorated, my youngest daughter will be out in costume with a dog, also in costume, handing out candy. I'll be in costume scaring the crap out of everyone. What's the point of going through all of the trouble if you're not out there to enjoy it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have a covered entrance so its nice to stay outside instead of having everyone ring the bell and stress the dog, but with temps around 40F, we usually have to dress cozy

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well Basically I go through 3 Halloween nights. First 2 the first 2 weeks in Oct at the campground, wife hands out candy in a 10x20 fully enclosed shelter where any decorations that can be ruined are and I scare some depending on age, lol. Learned real fast that I needed a shelter as it rained a lot started out with a pop up canopy and expanded after a few times with everything getting ruined. At home we don;t get that many end of cul-de-sac and pretty long driveway so it's usually just sit in the house. This year its outside got my daughter boyfriends dog again right now and barks at almost anything so figure we wil be outside and crank the tv up so he wont here the noise. Was thinking about actually putting out decorations at the house this year, don;t do much at home because of low quantity besides the cat, and batty minion blow up but with the weather and being sick probably won't again.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,000 Posts
In my neighborhood (Southern Michigan) many people set up the portable fire pits in our driveways to stay warm. Last year we went through 5 large bags of candy and it was only our first year of "going big" with our display. I assume we will need more candy this year so no reason to stay inside for us. Official hours are 5:30p-8:00p we typically move inside after about 9pm when the TOT's start to die off and we kill the lights sometime after 10pm.
HEY! How'd you get an extra half hour?? I'm in SE Michigan and ours is 6-8.
I was just reading another thread about using fire in the display and I think I'm going to pull the fire pit out into the driveway this year. Even tho we don't get too many kids, I like to sit outside and soak in the moment (and sometimes rain) It'll be nice to be warm, too!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts