Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well looks like something on your site (assume maybe one of your advertisers) is passing on some maleware that pops up on my laptop. Only site it ever happens on and this started maybe a week ago. I had it happen when logged in and just browsing without logging in. Here's the screen capture.

here's an other message that popped up at a different time.

·
Administrator
626 Posts
We have not had reports of this, nor can I replicate it. Seeing your device alert here doesn't mean it was picked up here. Ads follow from other sites you visit.

Just in case I ran a scan on the site (they are continually monitored anyway) and the scan came up clean.

I will continue to monitor.

- Cricket

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it only keeps happening when I am on this site, no others. Happening today again. Many times. I have to keep closing the window and open again to be on here for any length of time. I been on a number of sites today, and on previous days, and this is the only one it appears on. I did a few quick screen captures while it was loading and before displaying the above fake AppleCare screens if that helps at all.

I assume most people just don't bother to report this stuff any more.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well it only keeps happening when I am on this site, no others. Happening today again. Many times. I have to keep closing the window and open again to be on here for any length of time. I been on a number of sites today, and on previous days, and this is the only one it appears on. I did a few quick screen captures while it was loading and before displaying the above fake AppleCare screens if that helps at all.

View attachment 722645

View attachment 722646

I assume most people just don't bother to report this stuff any more.
It looks more like a rather devious ad than an actual warning. Many pop-up ads will warn you of a virus or malware and then tell you to click on the button to get rid of it. What it actually does is take you to their website where they try to sell you their anti-virus program. Or they use your clicking on the link to create their own tracking software for future fishing. While it's frustrating for the administrators to have people block all the ads, I would suggest trying out an ad blocker and see if it solves the problem. If it does, it means it wasn't really a threat warning, it was a misleading ad.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know it wasn't from AppleCare so not about to fall for it anyway, but when it pops up it literally creates it's own window and closes Halloween Forum's. There is no back button. You have to close the window and open another new window and then try going to HF. It has reappeared on many occasions shortly after that. I would think Halloween Forum would not take kindly to it shutting it's members and visitors out of their site regardless of what piece of maleware this is or it's intent. Had it happen to me yesterday during the day and this morning when I decided to check in. Basically every day since maybe a week or so ago.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW have people noticed that when you go to edit something sometimes it will delete part of what you had posted prior without you deleting it yourself? Just had it happen to me again on the above post.

My deleted portion is where I had said since this seems to happen for the most part on this site, I'm not about to download a third party blocker just for use here. I'm good at ignoring the ads I see for the most part and know that it generates revenue for the site.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Mine quit updating threads 7 days ago...When I click on General Halloween it always shows Home Depot -- 2019 first below the pinned threads with Myra Mains being the last poster 24 minutes ago...I've tried refreshing, closing out....I shut my computer down every night but when I launch into Halloween Forum the next day....Sure enough, same thing....If I click on the thread, it shows the latest posts but in the main forum page, nothing is updating....It's just froze in time...In order to see the new posts, I have to click the arrow and choose "New Posts" but it shows popular in the header instead but it is newer posts....It also sends error messages when I try to post....So yeah....7 days ago....ZR

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same malware/virus message when trying t access the site tonight as well. As timing would have it, I was due for some automatic updates so I shut everything down, did the updates (which included a reboot) and next time on the site, didn't have the issue.

But as mentioned in the original post - it was limited to this site only and would appreciate shortly after going to the site, as if a redirect.

·
Administrator
626 Posts
For anyone having this issue, please get some information for me, along with the screenshot and the redirect URL so that I can escalate this.
  • What device are you using to access the site? Computer? Tablet? Phone?
  • Are you accessing the full site? Using Tapatalk or Mobile View?
  • Which operating system are you using? (Windows 10, etc.)
  • Which browser are you using? (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE, etc.)
  • Have you already tried clearing your cookies/cache?
- Cricket

·
Administrator
626 Posts
I haven't seen this on my ipad but I use safari with an ad blocker. In chrome the popups and ads within threads are out of control.
In Chrome on your iPad?

• What device are you using to access the site? Computer? Tablet? Phone?
  • Are you accessing the full site? Using Tapatalk or Mobile View?
  • Which operating system are you using? (Windows 10, etc.)
  • Which browser are you using? (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE, etc.)
  • Have you already tried clearing your cookies/cache?

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My previous images posted above were on a MacBook Pro, using Safari, can be logged in or as a guest. Don’t have the computer available right now to give more details. Full site.

Posting now as coming here on my iPhone XS Max, using Safari, full site, 12.2 iOS, and seeing this.

Happened before I could log in and same again, this time logged in. And again Halloween Forum is only site this is happening on and use my laptop and phone throughout the day.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I’m getting diverted left and right! It’s ridiculous! Literally as soon as I log in here I’m getting highjacked to another bogus site. Pop ups are saying either my iphone is infected with a virus or that I just won something.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The things you are seeing are ads. They're obtrusive and irritating ads, to be sure, but they're trying to get you to visit their site by clicking on the "fix this problem now" button. While I appreciate Halloween Forum's need to make revenue to keep the site open, the contracts they've signed up to allow that kind of intrusive ad mix.

I worked for Netflix for years, and the company contracted to have their information displayed on many different sites, and those sites often would display the ads as popups that would override the popup blockers. They were infuriating to say the least, and we got calls about them all the time. But it wasn't really Netflix that made that choice. It was the ad company and how they contracted with individual sites that determined how an ad would be displayed to fulfill the contract of getting eyes on the ad. Halloween Forum is in the same quandary.

Two ways to deal with the problem. Lodge a complaint with Halloween Forum and deal with it; which lets face it is pretty unacceptable. Telling Halloween Forum administrators what's happening is important. And if they want the ad program to work, they need to ensure these kinds of ads are removed and less obtrusive ones remain. But if you've done that, and things still show up, find an ad blocker like U-block and add it to your browser's apps. I use one and I never have the problem because it's blocking all the ads, including the scamming popup version of ads you're seeing. It's not a choice I see as particularly optimal for the forum or for me. I don't mind all the little ads on the side, but like all of you, I had enough of the redirects and called in the big guns.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts