Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Last week 18 miles from home, I passed a large, flat farm field very near the Mississippi River, and there looked to be maybe 10,000 small pumpkins in that field, all about the size slightly smaller than a football?
So many orange dots covering such a massive area!
I have lived in this County most of my 67 years, I guess I was just not in the right place at the right time to ever see such a site before?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think you've got the look down.

This might not matter if you aren't doing anything similar to mine, but bear in mind your intended installation. Pumpkin Sentinels are typically viewed from below (or far away), with the head tilted downward.

Mine looked like this last year:

This year he's even higher up, and definitely viewed from below (he's on a flag pole mount on the porch post, and the porch is at the top of a small slope).

There's an orange LED bulb in his head (the fixture serves in place of the stem), which means it is dead center and near the top. A very tall nose would make the bulb too obvious in my sentinel, especially seen from below.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dyne,

Thanks for the reply. I have nixed the nose. My last Sentinel lasted a few years but gave up the ghost a year or two back.
Head tilted down is the only way to get the correct feel from the pumpkin, I agree.

I did paper mache' and after it dried covered the head in fiberglass sheets & resin. I hope this holds up better in the Florida weather for the next few years.

·
Registered
180 Posts
One trick for disguising the bulb is to slip a piece of translucent fabric (i.e. chiffon) into the head as a diffuser. Only do this for low-wattage bulbs (LEDs if possible) where there is no chance of heat melting the diffuser.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts