Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha! No... not like THAT. I mean in the Haunter way! :D

I was wondering how many folks here are lone haunters doing it all (or most) on their own... even if you are married or part of a family.

Over the years, I've found just about as many pros as cons.

Pros:
Never having to sneak in that recent garage sale/thrift store purchase so you don't have to hear, "But you already have 27 foam lighted pumpkins!"
We all know you can never have too many!

Staging weeks ahead or storing props practically anywhere because you don't have to share the space. (I love that one!)

Cons:
Time. Having help on The Day would be incredibly wonderful. As a one-night-only haunter, I can only put out what I can assemble and take down in 48 hours.

What about you? Anyone running a one man/woman show? Experiences? Helpful tips?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm married and have kids and I usually go shopping with my sister. When I see a Halloween item off season and want to buy it she rolls her eyes:rolleyes: . I'm on quite the budget so I don't buy too much however. I did see a foam pumpkin at Cashsaver the other day for $3 in the clearance bin. I was tempted to buy it but passed. Though if it is still there when I go back I'll probably get it lol. I also put up most of the Halloween decorations on my own though my husband does help a bit, but he isn't into Halloween the way I am.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My husband and grown kiddos help intermittently, but the bulk of it falls to me. I spend about a month getting it all pulled together - if you don't count shopping, brainstorming, and building props here and there throughout the year. I probably shouldn't figure out how much time I actually spend on it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not single, but married to a curmudgeon who doesn't get my fascination with holidays. He will help with very specific things if I ask him, like holding a ladder so I don't kill myself. My kids are enthusiastic, but lose interest pretty fast, and the youngest one's "help" is more destructive than helpful, so it's pretty much just me. My husband was rolling his eyes at me the other day when I found some cheap XPS scratch and dent foam. Yes, I'm building tombstones in April, and no I don't care that it's only April.

·
Registered
15 Posts
LOl!! I can relate. I'm alone so I do it all myself and I'm getting a bit slower now that I'm pushing 60! I use my 2nd bedroom as my "Lab". I keep my Halloween projects there and I tinker on them through the year. Also, I have my "hunting" list of things I need for projects like, spot and strobe lights, ghostly costumes and fabrics, small motors, mirrors (to make your set up look larger), paint, etc and I hunt yard sales on Saturdays thru the summer. You wouldn't believe how cheap you can get your stuff! Everyone has this type of stuff in their yard sales and I rarely pay over a dollar for any of them!!! As for putting the display up, I take a day off of work to make a 3 day weekend during the last weekend of September so I can get everything put up and, I recruit a couple of younger, able bodied adult neighbors for 1/2 days worth of the "manly" work that I can't do and I treat them to a pizza and beer for the help. (cheap labor!)

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
The family enjoys the big Halloween party but no one helps out with the crafting, set up or take down. But this year a friend offered to help with some of my bigger projects so I'm thankful. I've been told not to talk about Halloween at home until August--probably a good rule in my case because it's always on my mind. I'm grateful I can come here and be among those who are into Halloween as much as I am.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can get a little...um...specific about the placement of decorations and props, so I think I'm a single haunter because those close to me realise that I'm likely to get a bit too bossy if they tried to pitch in! :) Even the November packing up needs to be done the 'right' way, so I think I've made myself a single haunter! Lol!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a hubby, but he REFUSES to help me do anything, lol!! Unless I REALLY need the muscle for a very specifinc/very quick task occasionally....otherwise it's just me doing the building/crafting/heavy lifting/decorating/making animatronics and displays...but I love doing it so much, I would do it all anyway, and I can be very strong minded, so it's probably better!! haha!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yep!! I'm married with 2 teen age kids but I do it all by myself. Thats why I work on projects throughout the year.....a little work at a time. I did need help carrying 2 UFOs out last year. A huge fight ensued and some tears later my husband broke down and helped me carry them out. It took maybe 10 minutes. However, all of them will try to take credit when we get compliments ???

·
Registered
414 Posts
Fortunately I don't have to pester too hard to get my husband to help. He's not interested in it, so he doesn't offer to help, but subscribes to the happy wife happy life philosophy, and he knows I'm hard headed and stubborn enough to not want help most of the time, so when I do ask for help, it means I really can't do something myself, and he'll render what aid he can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My key to success if you will is creativity while trying to assemble. For the last 20 years I build multiple structures by my self. Always have stakes driven into the ground and screws started before putting a wall up so I can immediately brace it. When installing roofs on my cabin and mausoleum I do them in sections. Also discovered using a latter to slide the pieces up verses trying to pick them up and hold them in the air while trying the set screws. Works for me, Have fun

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm one of those Lone Wolf haunters. I've been doing the home haunt for 13 years now, adding to the display every year. The theme has remained the same, with new elements added each year. The neighborhood kids (and parents) love what I do, which makes the weeks of set-up well worth it. Every year I get many thanks from the parents as their children run the gauntlet to get the candy.
For me, it's all about the scare factor. I always become a living part of the haunt on Halloween night, so I try to change up where and WHAT I am each year. From zombie to vampire to grim reaper to evil scarecrow, the children never know where I'm hiding, when I'll pop out and scare them, or if I'm one of the new props added to the display. My wife won't let me start setting up until October 1st, and from that day until two weeks before THE night, I add a little bit more of the display.
Once I get within the two week mark, I set up all but the new elements of my display, that way the kids get the thrill and anticipation for those two weeks before Halloween. They force their parents to drive by "The scary house", as many call it. The yard gets transformed into a full blown graveyard, with almost two dozen tombstones, over a half dozen severed heads, full sized ghostly apparitions glowing in black light, demons rising from the depths of hell, horrifying scarecrows, and countless zombies rising from the graves. Not to mention the ghost girl and wraith that hang from the cables strung between the trees. There is far more, but you get the picture.
As a result of my hard work, every year I get the brother or sister asking for extra candy for their sibling who refuses to cross the haunted boundary of my property. And there's always the mom or dad who I hear saying "If you want the candy, you have to go in and get it".
The day after Halloween, I'm already planning what I'll be doing for next year. What new props I plan to build or a potential new theme to try out. The tear down is a full day effort and all props end up filling the back 1/3 of my garage.
One of these days I hope to get two or three friends (or more) to join me in the scare. That way I could REALLY surprise the kids, as they'd think the scare is over after I make my appearance, only to be hit with multiple other surprises as they attempt to leave.
As far as advice goes, try setting up the display weeks in advance. You'll have more time to work, and it will build anticipation with the kids who will be enjoying it. The down side to that is the weather. I constantly have to take down the cemetery and props when the wind storms hit. But over the years, I have it down to a science, taking down/pulling the vulnerable parts of the display in under 5 minutes. I've also devised unique ways to add structural support to the tombstones so that they can withstand all but the strongest winds (long 4-5" nails and 8" gutter spikes in front and behind the tombstones).
Good luck with your haunt. This year I'm looking to go with the haunted big top. Yep. SCARY CLOWNS!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not single, but married to a curmudgeon who doesn't get my fascination with holidays. He will help with very specific things if I ask him, like holding a ladder so I don't kill myself. My kids are enthusiastic, but lose interest pretty fast, and the youngest one's "help" is more destructive than helpful, so it's pretty much just me. My husband was rolling his eyes at me the other day when I found some cheap XPS scratch and dent foam. Yes, I'm building tombstones in April, and no I don't care that it's only April.
LadyMage, I'm new to the 'build your props`, however I love Halloween. This year I need to build some new tombstones. Can you or a any haunted explain what is "XPS scratch" and "dent foam"? Is there any other suggestions on material to use? I'm a solo haunter!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Count me in....We have a relatively bare spot in our front yard. The wife has spring fever and wanted to put a couple plants in that area. I said No! Thats where the Graveyard Goes! Then I got one of those looks. But in general she is supportive. I just sometimes have to remind her of how no neighbor has even a chance of keeping up with us come Halloween time, and how even in April people will ask what the Theme is this year. That part she loves!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Spousal Unit will help if I ask, but I rarely do. He helps me move big stuff to the yard, but as far as building/crafting, I'm on my own. WHICH IS JUST THE WAY I LIKE IT. :D

One thing he does help with: if I show something to him and he either says "Wow, that's cool," or "Christ, that's awful!" I know I'm on the right track.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Married but do all the haunting as a single deity! And I shop all year long for ideas and goodies. He did offer to help unload the metal garden fence I got 90% off at the end of summer. It took a minute then realized it was for the upcoming cemetery! He should have known though, our Anniversary is October 30th!

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
I pretty much do the decorating alone too. I did get The Husband to do all the running of new electrical outlets, wiring of chandeliers & hanging them (in all fairness, they are up year round). But other than that, I do the decorating, shopping etc. I too shop & work on stuff year round. We moved into a new house the end of May 2017 & actually had stuff ready for the party in October!! It was our 3rd move in 5 years. Come to think of it, I did most all the packing & unpacking for those moves too. :O

Reactions: titleist1

·
Registered
833 Posts
Count me in....We have a relatively bare spot in our front yard. The wife has spring fever and wanted to put a couple plants in that area. I said No! Thats where the Graveyard Goes! Then I got one of those looks. But in general she is supportive. I just sometimes have to remind her of how no neighbor has even a chance of keeping up with us come Halloween time, and how even in April people will ask what the Theme is this year. That part she loves!
I love that you told her "no that's were the graveyard goes"!!!?????? I actually did the same thing. I entertained the idea of putting a flower bed in the front yard.....that quickly went away when I could not picture how my display would fit in????

1 - 20 of 44 Posts