Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Dead and loving it.
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, someone gave me this idea last year and you know how ideas can sit and fester. Well after last Halloween, I decided to make some singing pumpkins to entertain the TOTs.

The parts list is so far:

-4 425BB Hitec servos
-1 Linxmotion controller
-4 single-channel LED boards (made by azdude) for the eyes
-4 Foam Pumpkins
-4 servo extensions
-4 Lucite plates (this will hold the pumpkin and the servo)
-4 servo brackets (made by 5artist5)

I've included pictures of the foam pumpkins before and after I cut out the mouth parts as well as a picture of the single-channel LED boards (I turned the boards over as the design for those belongs to azdude so if you want it you will need to contact him).

I still need to cut out the Lucite plates to hold the pumpkins and take pictures of those.

More to come.

·
Dead and loving it.
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just opened up my linxmotion controller box today and happily discovered I have more room than I thought for servos.

I have to send it over to a good friend to fix as I broke one of the power connectors on one side last year but if all goes well, I can hook up all 4 pumpkins and vincent and just use one computer to run it.

I have to buy a few rolls of servo cable and make up a bunch of connectors.

This is going to be a blast. :D

I was just thinking this might be a good how-to if you want to make a magic mirror or talking painting. The possibilities are endless.

·
Dead and loving it.
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm waiting on some some servo brackets and the servos to arrive. Once they are here, I am going to take more pictures of before, during and after the assembly.

Waiting for packages to arrive is like waiting for Christmas sometimes. Maybe that's why the excitement is not there when I wait to open presents at Christmas time. I get that feeling throughout the year waiting to mail to arrive. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow this is awesome. I use some lighted pumpkins with a LOR controller to make them seem like they singing sorta. Using servos would take it to the next level...

·
Registered
638 Posts
dionica, any of those brackets arrive yet...want to check out your gourds...you know the singing ones!!! cant wait to see an update.

-DK

·
Dead and loving it.
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny you should mention that. The brackets arrived the last week along with more servos and I finished making the plastic plates to hold everything together.

I have to work on the mouths of the pumpkins to make sure they fit after the hinges are installed.

This is what I have done so far.

P.S. I have paper eyes on the pumpkin right now as I am trying to find the right eyes for the pumpkins that will look good with the LEDs. More to come.

·
Registered
638 Posts
nice...nice, do you have a program to run in mind? I have always thought that I should do a pirate like theme and for a little comic relief I would put a 3 axis quartet (or...say...pumpkins like yours) singing something totally out of place...like a little "three little birds" or something. What do you have in mind?

·
Dead and loving it.
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update, my servo extensions from servocity.com arrived today, the pumpkins have had their innards installed and have been hooked up to the servo controller (yippie). Gonna take pics and check the MAX/MIN on the servos and then give them a run through.

I need to find an MP3 of "This is Halloween" from a Nightmare Before Christmas as I want this to be the test song. Mainly....BECAUSE IT'S STUCK IN MY HEAD!!!!!

·
Banned
85 Posts
Ok ... I'm VERY anxious to see your progress , so , I uploaded those files for you .
The first one is the one by Disney , the second , by Marilyn Manson and the last - Panic at the Disco . All songs are "this is Halloween"
Didn't know which version you wanted and since I am REALLY wanting to see how you talking pumpkins turn out , I figured I'd better not take a chance , and just load them all . LOL

Disney-original version

Marilyn Manson version

Panic at the Disco version

Hope one of these are the version you were looking for :)

( these are in MP3 format )

Here is the original if you need it in WAV format instead of MP3 ( of course , the WAVE file is MUCH larger - about ten times larger , than the MP3 ones )

Original in WAV format

If you like , or want either of the other two options in WAV format , just let me know :)

·
Mistress of the 7 Seas
847 Posts
Dionicia, I just love this tutorial your doing. I've always wanted to have singing pumpkins for my haunt and, well you just made it easy!!! I just might use the servo's I got from you for this project. I can't wait to see your finished project!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts