Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dead and loving it.
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I made a few (8) animated skulls last year and I thought this year it would be kewl to make some singing pumpkins using the foam pumpkins from the Craft store.

I am planning on making their mouths move like the Muppet Beaker (I think I spelled his name right) and I want to make their eyes light up as their mouths move.

Any help and/or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you.

P.S. I will take pics of my progress for those that are interested and post those in the main Tutorials section.

·
Maniacal Imagineer
1,746 Posts
I did a trio of singing pumpkins several years ago using foam pumpkins. I also wanted them to have left/right movement. After animating the mouths, I mounted them on 3/8 shafts that pass through bearings with an arm at the bottom. I linked all 3 so they would turn together using a single 1/4 scale (very large) servo. They are mounted to a short prop wall that also houses an opening door with an animated mouth and eyes inside. (also servo controlled)
I couldn't find a picture of the back side of the wall but I will keep looking, I know it's somewhere.

Lighting the eyes should be easy enough using a micro switch tripped by your mouth servo.

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
If I were to tackle this project, I'd probably choose to go the route of Mike Cathcart from HGTV's Extreme Halloween special a few years back. He made The Great Pumpkin out of foam rubber with servos inside to animate the pumpkin more like a living creature (ie: the mouth flexes, rather than the ventriloquist dummy type of movement).
If you need reminding of what it looked like (I know I did), there's a few seconds of it here:
Dusk 2006 Halloween

On that same show, Rick Polizzi of Boney Island had some singing pumpkins more like the ones Spookineer made. There's a shot of them in this (around 4:40):

·
Dead and loving it.
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all. I am still in the R&D phase of putting these together and I am trying to figure out what would be a good servo to use for the pumpkins. I need a servo with enough strength to open and close the mouth quickly without burning out. Any ideas? I thought about going with the Hitec 425BB but I'm not sure if that would be strong enough to handle the mouth movements. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts