Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using one of the portable projectors you find on ebay for about $60? Most say they are 50 lux (however that translates to lumens?), but I found another that claims to be 400 lumens. I've done window projections which require at least 2000 lumens to look good, but not sure if this would be sufficient for projecting onto the pumpkins. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a used projector off ebay for 70 dollars. 2500 lumens with low lamp hours. I have a cheapo small one but it's hard to see it during the day/dusk. And around my house we get a lot of little kids when it is still light out. So for my application I needed something brighter. The 2500 lumens projector you can see in any light. The projector is on the bigger side but I have a good size tombstone hiding it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Check out BIGANT's threads. He's doing this with a small 3m pico projector (which is off the market but still available some places)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a couple larger projectors that I also got from EBay that am going to use for the windows, but I was trying to get away with something small (and cheap!) for the pumpkins so it would be easier to hide with speakers. I don't want to spend $200+ on a really good small one when I can get a big one to work for a lot less. Hmmmmm...I don't know if it's worth the risk. I guess for $50 I'll give it a try...at least it will work at night for another prop if it doesn't work for the pumpkins. If it is bright enough, the payoff would be huge!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Dk67, i have 2 of the small cheap projectors you are talking about. They actually work well for my singing pumpkins from royal gardens and my phantom waith from spectral illusions. However out haunt is in the dead of night in the haunted forest. I also have 3 larger projectors...a 1800 lumen and two 2000 lumen ones. They are galexy brand, work very well, and only cost about $125 new on ebay.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Has anyone tried using one of the portable projectors you find on ebay for about $60? Most say they are 50 lux (however that translates to lumens?), but I found another that claims to be 400 lumens. I've done window projections which require at least 2000 lumens to look good, but not sure if this would be sufficient for projecting onto the pumpkins. Any thoughts?
The thing you are wanting to remember is "the brighter, the better"! That being said, some of the low end projectors should be plenty bright to achieve the effect. Although, the picture might not be of a very good quality. In my videos, I'm using an NEC HT-410 which has about 1,000 lumens. It's PLENTY bright. I do have a customer who uses an AAXA mini LED projector with about 95 lumens, and it looks pretty good too.

If you use a projector with a low lumens count, make sure there isn't a lot of ambient light around. It could wash out the image too much.

BTW, I'm the one Scary Papa is talking about (Royal Gardens). We have a website now. It's listed in my signature at the bottom!

Here's what the Singing Pumpkins look like with 1,000 lumens....

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hey Jack-o-Lantern King, we had our Halloween Party for our family and friends this past Saturday and as usual your pumpkin projections were the hit of the party. We had about 135 people in the Haunted Forest and it was hard to keep people moving because they wanted to stop and keep watching the pumpkins perform. :D Most everyone went through the forest several times just to see the pumpkins over and over. Keep them coming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies! I ended up getting the cheap 400 lumens projector, but it's not very bright and the image quality isn't that great, especially since it's still light out when TOT starts here (6pm-8pm). I'm definitely going to use a stronger projector, which luckily I found another on ebay for $25 (3000 lumen) that needed a bulb that I just happened to have a spare for since my other projector is the same model. In any case, what a difference...it looks so much better and you can see it with the lights on.

I'm going to use the two 3000 lumen projectors for my front windows and another 2200 lumen projector I have for the pumpkins. I also have another huge older projector I bought a few years back that I might put in another window.

The question I have now is: Does anyone have any ideas what I can do with the smaller 400 lumen projector. I was thinking of trying to project a floating ghost or something on the outside of the house knowing that is will only show up when it is totally dark out, the image quality isn't great and the image probably still won't be that bright, even in total darkness unless it's close. The good thing is that it's really small and plays videos from USB, so really easy to hide.

Any other good ideas or samples some one can point me too?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is my first year doing the singing pumpkins as well. There are a ton of used Mitsubishi 5000 projectors floating ebay. I bought a used one a week ago that was in excellent shape with over 1000 hours still left on the bulb. These projectors are a little larger and super bright with a short throw. Paid $90 with shipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts