Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm new on this forum, figured I'd share my 2014 scare. Now I don't have much artistic ability maybe a little autistic but not artistic. I'm better with the electronics, electricity, & pneumatics mind you I'm no expert at these either. Some on here have true talent which I'm envy of. Below is the 2014 front yard mostly done.

Halo14-1.jpg

The 2 very noticeable speakers were covered with black plastic when I was done just not at the time of the picture. There are actually 4 large speakers plus 2 self powered 12" subs in the picture. The 2 subs are hidden behind the larger 2 tombstones in the back.

A keen eye will also see 2 humps that run left to right across the yard. (The picture is taken as though your walking up to the house so the humps run more of an angle than left to right) This is actually 2 4" metallic dryer vent painted black with a few holes punched in it with an end cap. One of the dryer vents run to a 1400W fog machine that's hidden by a tombstone & the other dryer vent runs to another 1400W fog machine but it's in a hidden center room inside the haunt/scare. Both of these fog machines were on a timer set about 4 min intervals and 2 min intervals from the other one. There is also a smaller 400W fog machine in the middle.

There is also 2 pro led 400 (I believe that's the model) hidden by 2 other tombstones. One is right by the stay off grass sign & the other is about the 4th tombstone to the left of that one.

Most of the tombstones I made but there are 3 or 4 that were store bought. I wish I had yall's talent of making tombstones though.

Explanation of what's going on:

Inside the scare/haunt is a central control room that is inaccessible to the average person. In this room is 2 home runs of power that goes back to the main panel of the house. I installed 2 20A breakers and ran 2 circuits out to the central room. These home runs ran to 2 large power strips with 12 receptacle's per strip. WOW, I'm starting to get carried away with this, oh well it sure is fun.

Alright, so I have an IPOD with a stormy night on it from Firefly. It has the wind, rain, thunder, lightning & crackle of what would sound like a real storm. The IPOD is hooked up to the Firefly controller. Out of the controller-2 ch- left & right going to the LED's out in the yard and the audio going to a 200W x 4 amp. Out of the amp-it's running the 4 large speakers plus the 2 self powered subs.

I wish I had a night time video because it turned out really good with the fog, rain sound, wind sound, lightning look from the LED's, the crackle of the lightning with the deep thunder. I also lined the driveway with tiki torches' to give it some light when the lightning wasn't going off and I had 2 lanterns at the front of the driveway that had a mason jar in each with a glow stick cut and poured in to make it appear the lights were lighting themselves.

All of this and that's just what gets you in the right mind set to what may be inside the actual scare/haunt.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I had some of yalls artistic talent then I could do more but I play my strengths. I do mostly instant scares or a scare that is gradually built up. I built a horn light that's pressure activated, moving walk ways, air box, monster in a box, and many other odds and ends over the years. The air box and horn/light box gets everyone every time. The horn/light box was by far the cheapest to build-simply old car horn, 75W halogen off-road light, a starter solenoid, & a pressure mat.

Just to be different than any other haunt or scare I've ever been too, I put the candy in the middle of the haunt in 2014. After the trick or treaters got their candy, they thought it was over, but oh no not this time. They still had a few more scares to get past before the exit.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
It looks great, and I bet it was absolutely fantastic in operation! If you were closer, I'd offer to do some sculpting in return for some help with electronics and pneumatics! I envy your skill set.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pics of the walls going up This is the cheapest way I could figure out to make walls. It actually works well. Below I'll explain how to.

Halo14-3.jpg

Halo14-2.jpg

Halo14-4.jpg

Halo14-5.jpg

Halo14-6.jpg

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My way of making walls.

Plywood actually makes better stobs than 1x4's. So I used 5/8" plywood cut into 3"x24" sections with a point cut into 1 end. I drove the stobs down where I wanted the walls. I then took a 2x4x8 treated (for some reason treated was the cheapest) and screwed the stob to the 2x4. I then drove kickers down at an angle to help hold the 2x4 up and to take the pressure. I took some rope I had and stapled it to the top of the 2x4's. Now the staples I used were for like an barbed wire fence for cattle or horses not the ones you would use in a staple gun. When I ran out of rope, I used flex strap. Flex strap is what HVAC guys use to hang flex duct with. It comes in I think 100' rolls fairly cheap. Actually this stuff is easier to work with than the rope was. Flex strap looks like the material that old beach chairs were made with. Pull the rope or flex strap pretty tight. If the 2x4 tries to come up, just add a kicker. So if you buy a large roll of plastic, it comes in 20'x100'. So if you have 8' tall 2x4 and the hallway is 4' wide then 8'up 4' across for ceiling and 8' back down the other side = 20', perfect. It held up for 3 days of rain following Halloween this year. Man what a mess that was to dry out to store for next, I mean this year to re-use.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll ask my neighbors to see if they have a video of this and if so I'll post it also.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah if you were closer, I would. One of the best websites to get started with the electronics and pneumatics that I found is frightprops.com.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
First of all, welcome to Halloweenforum. By the looks of your haunt, I think you'll fit in just fine around here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts