Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, now that my halloween is pretty much over (for setting anything up that is) because I did a big Halloween display for work a few weeks back, I wanted to show how easy and inexpensive it is to have your own talking skulls relatively cheap also. Since I packed all my skulls up I was already looking for sales to get more of those cheap generic talking Halloween skulls for next year. I wanted to see how these worked so I could buy more after Halloween if they had a good jaw response. Some of these have different types of motor linkages to move the jaw. Some are gear like my Jolly Roger. Some have a string some have a plastic arm. I learned about that this year. This was my first time making these and I now have a decent understanding of how things work. Keep in mind I have never done anything like this but always wanted to create a talking skull that uses the dialogue I wanted. The ones I seen were very expensive and far out of reach to afford a couple of them. I am very mechanically challenged and doubted I could even do this. When J-man on the forum introduced these even then I doubted my skills. However I wanted to show others with that same thinking that these are super simple and anyone can do it. The one here is from rite aid. I just got it so while I was trying it I thought it would be a good time to show how to do this. I really like these and will be looking to get a few more when they get even cheaper. This one was 15$. You don't even need to open him up since everything is already on the outside. That was a huge plus since next year I plan on doing everything remotely on the outside so I don't have to open the skull up to get to the 9v battery or the board. I put all that inside the skulls this year. So I learned when I needed to change batteries or make any fine tune adjustments to the board I needed to open it up. That was when I decided no more of that. So this guy made all that even easier. He even has a cool little stand that made working and filming this with him super easy. All it takes is the board-the 9v battery-I used an MP3 player with my dialogue on it and a speaker. I also decided to change all mines over to a wall wort to power the motor next year, but using the stock batteries works just as well. I just didn't want to worry about changing the 3AAA batteries next year so I went the wall wort for this one. It's also my first time doing that and It works perfectly. So I filmed everything in all its glory to show there's really not a lot to it. You can hear the jaw as it closes but that can easily be fixed by putting a small piece of foam in between them to keep from hitting when it closes. I just haven't done that part yet. If anyone has any questions I can do my best to answer them. If you are interested in getting these specific skulls they are not full size. They are a partial sized grim reaper that were 30$ originally and now 50%off. I'm sure they will be cheaper after Halloween. That's when I will be looking to get a few more if I can find some. I put the bandanna on him to give him the pirate feel. So that's pretty much all there is to it. Hope it helps someone. So all in all you will need the skull, a 9v battery, the board ,an MP3 player with your dialogue on it , speaker and the AA batteries or wall wort.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts