Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a simple little cemetery sign this year for my entrance gate, so I put this sign together within a few hours. It was super easy to create, and a lot less messy than carving foam out! I also didn't want the sign to be as thick as foam usually is, so I went with this method.
I wanted the sign to have an old brass/bronze look to it, with the 3d lettering.

I started with a scrap section of luan plywood, it's thin and exactly what I was looking for. I also love this material because it's even wood grain texture makes a great "brushed metal" texture when painted! Next, I drew my signs shape out, and cut it. This took only a few moments to do!
Then, I picked out my name and font, measured to get the design fairly even, and drew it on with marker. It doesn't matter what colour or material you use to sketch your design out, as you'll be painting it all over anyway!

The font I referenced was Antraxja Goth 1938, you can look it up on dafont if you like how it looks.

IMG_20171009_165504.jpg

Once that was done, I traced my design out in hot glue. Make sure when you are doing this to take it slow. Let the glue gun heat up really well, and let the glue stick "stew" inside the chamber until the gun starts to drip. You want the glue really hot so it flows easily and creates smooth lettering. I rushed a few of the letters, and didn't get them quite as smooth was I wanted, but it turned out fine overall!

Once the hot glue had dried solid, I went over with a coat on antique gold spray paint.

IMG_20171009_173121.jpg

When that was dry to the touch, I went in with acrylic paint to weather it up. The entire thing got a wash of watered down deep brown paint to weather the gold, and gave the letters a brushed look. I traced each letter in the same deep brown, and then followed this up with black acrylic paint, rubbed in with paper towel along all the edges to make the letters pop. Finally, i rubbed some different tones of bronze paint in some areas, lightened others, and finally dabbed a mix of green and aqua paint on to create the oxidizing effect. Then it got some watered down drips to weather it up, and it's done!

IMG_20171009_191916.jpg

Overall the project only took about an hour and half from start to finish, measures a nice little 15" x 11", so it's a really quick and easy way to make little signs!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,686 Posts
That's really clever and looks fantastic!

Filing away the idea for future building. Thanks for posting. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wanted a simple little cemetery sign this year for my entrance gate, so I put this sign together within a few hours. It was super easy to create, and a lot less messy than carving foam out! I also didn't want the sign to be as thick as foam usually is, so I went with this method.
I wanted the sign to have an old brass/bronze look to it, with the 3d lettering.

I started with a scrap section of luan plywood, it's thin and exactly what I was looking for. I also love this material because it's even wood grain texture makes a great "brushed metal" texture when painted! Next, I drew my signs shape out, and cut it. This took only a few moments to do!
Then, I picked out my name and font, measured to get the design fairly even, and drew it on with marker. It doesn't matter what colour or material you use to sketch your design out, as you'll be painting it all over anyway!

The font I referenced was Antraxja Goth 1938, you can look it up on dafont if you like how it looks.

View attachment 500273

Once that was done, I traced my design out in hot glue. Make sure when you are doing this to take it slow. Let the glue gun heat up really well, and let the glue stick "stew" inside the chamber until the gun starts to drip. You want the glue really hot so it flows easily and creates smooth lettering. I rushed a few of the letters, and didn't get them quite as smooth was I wanted, but it turned out fine overall!

Once the hot glue had dried solid, I went over with a coat on antique gold spray paint.

View attachment 500281

When that was dry to the touch, I went in with acrylic paint to weather it up. The entire thing got a wash of watered down deep brown paint to weather the gold, and gave the letters a brushed look. I traced each letter in the same deep brown, and then followed this up with black acrylic paint, rubbed in with paper towel along all the edges to make the letters pop. Finally, i rubbed some different tones of bronze paint in some areas, lightened others, and finally dabbed a mix of green and aqua paint on to create the oxidizing effect. Then it got some watered down drips to weather it up, and it's done!

View attachment 500289

Overall the project only took about an hour and half from start to finish, measures a nice little 15" x 11", so it's a really quick and easy way to make little signs!
Hexicorn, this is EXACTLY the thing I was interested in doing for our yard this year, and you have provided an excellent tutorial and a beautiful result! Can't thank you enough for sharing your creativity!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
THIS IS AWESOME , it looks amazing and who the hell would thought to use melted glue sticks and to what a great effect and how well it would look , great job Hexicom , i am definitely going to try and use it in my haunt this year if i do i will sing your praises loudly lol so listen up ......

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks really good. You're right about the wood grain simulating a brushed metal effect after painting. Nicely done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts