Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ha! I was resealing my bathroom this weekend and started to think how this stuff is very similar to latex. I might have to pick up a tube just to see how well a mask mold would work with it. Another thought I had was to use it as cartilage to connect bones in a skeleton. Could really give it some good flexibility.

On the down side I am not sure how safe this stuff is, if you would want to wear something made out of it. On top of that, I think the smell from silicone is much worse than latex. I think it took a good 24 hours for the smell to dissipate in my bathroom. But $2 to $3 a tube, could really turn into a "poor mans latex".

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
I haven't tried a MOLD...BUT...

We did make a quick and dirty um...I guess "hat" is the best term for it...when my son decided to be Darth Maul "with horns and everything". (he had this thing for a few years he'd pick costumes he thought I COULDN'T make)

It was too late to make a proper mask, and none of the bald caps fit him right to do it with appliances, so we used what I had in the garage.

Let me rummage around...

Ah, there it is, 2006

The soapy water doesn't really keep it entirely off your hands. It got EVERYWHERE. The smell was awefull, and it was difficult to get it all even and shaped. But it more or less "worked".

I wasn't impressed with it's ability to retain fine details either. Flat rock, basic shapes, sure. Intricate design with lots of undercuts? Nope.

But, the hat is still flopping around on my work table with no damage. (the boys played with it till it didn't fit either of them anymore)

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
While the smell is worse, it is actually less harmful. Latex has ammonia in it, silicone caulk has acetic acid.

Once cured, silicone is (generally) very safe for skin contact, but read the label! There are far too many kinds of silicone to just take my word that they're all safe!

B

·
0 Posts
I make silicone molds, and masks, all the time...what are you wanting to mold?

·
Registered
629 Posts
If anyone is interested in getting the article as a Word document, just PM me as I've distilled all of the entries which constitute the tutorial out of the original forum along with the photos associated with them for easier reading. Just leave me your e-mail address, and I'll send you the document.:D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Cool, don't forget to post pics, I just bought some silicone and acrylic paint today, I can't wait to get started on my skull mold.:D

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UnOrthodOx - thanks for sharing the picture!

Bear - I'd wanted to try a skull, and hands. Hands if it would be safe to use on skin, or if I could have a glove to block it from contact.

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts
Here's Mine:

Here's the mold I just finished:

Materials:

100% Silicon Caulking, Caulk Gun, Item to be molded, and Acrylic Paint
Missing: PAM Cooking Spray

Finished Outside of Mold:

Turned Inside Out to Show Detail:

Tooth Detail:

Side Detail:

Comments:
The first layer of silicon can be tricky to put on. Make sure you push the silicon against the mold, making sure that you get it into every crack, etc. That layer should dry in a few hours. I let it dry overnight. Then, the "fun" part begins. Don't mix too much silicon and paint at one time, since the paint cures the rubber pretty fast..I would say within 15 minutes, and you may not be able to apply it all before the silicon cures. You don't really need that much paint. One small-medium sized drop should do about 1/2 cup of silicon. You can put this layer on pretty thick. I made the red layer about 1/2 inch thick, getting a little less than an inch near the bottom. Cover all of the clear silicon now. Don't worry about getting this perfectly smooth. It really doesn't matter. Let it dry for a few hours, preferably overnight. Then, carefully stretch the bottom of the rubber (near the jaw) up, and lift the mold off the skull. There might be a layer of liquid in the mold when you are done. i wiped this out. They weren't lying about the smell. It's pretty bad, even when the mold is cured. Be careful breathing this in. It burns your nose. I would let it sit another day to completely dry, inside out. Then, you're ready to start molding.

P.S. The detail is very nice. The small cracks in the skull even came out well, and, in my opinion, the teeth look nice.

P.S.S. I used about 1 1/2 tubes of silicon for the entire project.

·
Registered
629 Posts
This is your skull.....this is your skull on drugs:D

Looks great! I can't wait until I've seen your casting.

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
Very nice.

I'm thinking whatever we used on that hat thing may not have been 100% silicone (and or was OOOOLD/bad). It was left in the garage by the people who moved out before us, and was black, labeled window seal silicone...don't remember anything else about it.

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts
So what do you fill the mold with now to make more?
I already filled mine with Great Stuff Foam, but Im letting it completely cure for one or two more days before removing the mold. You could also use plaster of paris. If you want to be extra careful with the foam or plaster, spray a light layer of cooking spray on the inside of the mold. Ill show you a pic of the skull when i take it out of the mold.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've just put the first layer of silicone on my skull tonight, can't wait to put the second layer on tomorrow:D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts