Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a ton of talented mask makers on here, and I need your help PLEASE!!! :) This is my first time ever doing silicone so I'm not familiar with the stuff but am using it because this year, rather than doing a creature, I'd like to do a celebrity mask instead. I've already started sculpting onto my life cast but am not sure whether I should keep it a full one- piece mask, or break it up into two parts (nose, cheekbones, and forehead as one piece... and lower lip and chin as the other.) I know silicone's movement is pretty realistic but I want as realistic as possible when wearer is talking, so that there can be a full range of emotion shown in the mouth. But at the same time, I don't want any visible seams and I don't have an air brusher to help conceal them, so I'm not sure what kind of makeup I'd even use with silicone or on top of silicone once the pieces are applied to the face?! If the edges don't come out thin enough, is there a way to fix them or shave them down? And lastly, what kind of silicone or silicone mixture should I buy when I'm ready to pour? What has worked well for you? :) I've heard of people using a WIDE range of things, but am looking for the most skin-realistic silicone, preferably something that's not going to break the bank. Halloween is right around the corner and I'm reeeeally hoping to finish this in time!!! Thanks so much in advance and I hope ya'll have a Happy Halloween! :D

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
If you're making a silicone mask do it as a one piece. If you're sculpting on a lifecast it should fit you perfectly and since the silicone will basically stick to your face you will get range of movement. Forehead, eyebrows, cheeks, etc.

If you want to do the prosthetic pieces I would suggest using foam latex. You can get the thin edges and will be easier at blending. That's what Hollywood basically uses. Silicone works good as a solid mask, but not pieces.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much, Shadowbat!!!!!!!! :D I took your advise and am doing my mask in one full piece instead of two pieces. I realized how right you were when I took a second look at my sculpt lol. I've never had issues with thick edges before when doing latex but I'm concerned that might happen with my silicone mask because my life cast is the face only and the edges of THAT are lumpy so it's horrible to sculpt on towards the edges. I'm trying very hard to avoid that, but if the edges of my silicone mask come out too thick in some places is there any way to thin them?! I've done extensive research on silicone mask making, and there was just no answer to that question that I could find. I also don't plan on painting the mask once it's finished because I don't have an air brush machine and I think using a paint brush would create opaque, unnatural color and harsh lines. So I guess I'm going to just try drugstore liquid foundation and setting powder over the silicone hoping it doesn't totally ruin the thing haha. I have a feeling grease paint will rub right off and I don't know of any make-ups made especially for silicone. The person I am depicting for this project is a different race than myself, and that is why I am especially concerned with finding the right make-up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts