Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So for Halloween I wanted to add some static silhouettes to our windows so it looks like its the shadow of someone inside. Pretty much recreating the effect from Disney's Gold Dust Saloon (shown below). I plan on using cutouts on posterboard. Any help on how to stage this? Would it be as simple as just illuminating cutouts from behind? Thank you!

Attachments

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Black posterboard or foamboard for the silhouette, a white tablecloth or shower curtain over that (between the silhouette and the room) and then light from the room - using a lamp or spotlight somehow angled towards the window. That's what I would do, anyway.

Registered
I did this a few years ago, and it is a pretty easy and simple set-up. If I can do it, anyone can, believe me.

I used black wrapping paper as that was all I could find at the last minute, shut my curtains (off-white) and had the inside light on.. It worked out well and I received lots of comments. It has a great effect with a minimal amount of work.

But, as Frankie's Girl suggested, black poster board or foam board would work better. My wrapping paper was pretty flimsy. You could use your room's normal lighting or add a flickering flame light or other source of special effect-type lighting.

This year, I am also going to place a cheapo $1 white shower curtain liner from Dollar Tree behind my silhouettes, leave the curtains open and use a red/orange fire & ice light for illumination.

Registered
I prefer to use clear Coroplast (corrugated plastic) pieces cut to fit the full window size. It's gives the appearance of sheers or mildly frosted glass. Depending on my theme, I use it a few different ways. For just simple insects, spider webs etc., I just draw them on the plastic using a black permanent marker. (see picture below). For silhouettes, I cut them from black cardboard and tape them to the backside of the Coroplast.. Made cardboard zombies for a friend's windows that were a big hit in her neighborhood. I've even used store bought decals if time was short and they worked for my theme but prefer making my own - then it's truly unique to your haunt. I usually leave the lights off in the room and use strobe lights instead flashing from behind. I think the strobes attract more attention and make the windows stand out with an almost lightning effect. I used to do all my windows in front but now that I have so many full-size props, I usually stand some in the windows, slightly back from the glass and place a strobe light above, so the light reflects on their front . From outside, it almost looks like they're moving and they look a little creepier.
The other nice thing is the window panels store flat so they're easy to store. Regardless of which way you do it, silhouettes are a great, inexpensive way to bring your whole house into the haunt .

coroplast windows.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
So here is my first test of it! I designed him to look like he's wearing a coonskin cap, but my family says its a ponytail :D :D :D haha!
I like the way it turned out!
First pic is view from outside, second from inside the room!

Attachments

Registered
So here is my first test of it! I designed him to look like he's wearing a coonskin cap, but my family says its a ponytail :D :D :D haha!
I like the way it turned out!
First pic is view from outside, second from inside the room!

Maybe it's just me but that "tail" has a rather phallic appearance!

Here's another example.

coonskin hat.jpg

Registered
Lol, it's not just you! I thought the same thing on first glance. Had to stare at it for a moment to make sure what I was looking at!

Reactions: PoCoHauntGal
1 - 11 of 11 Posts