Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home today I saw the first signs of fall! A small patch of leaves on a couple of trees had already turned bright orange and yellow! It's just around the corner now!

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang. I never thought Seattle would have gotten that warm, that's abnoramlly warm for that area isn't it? I'm in northern Ohio, just about an hour south of the lake and we've only had a handful of days over 80. But that's ok with me i'd rather have glorious 70s over the hot and humid 90s.

·
Registered
676 Posts
We've hit several 90s, but most days have been in the 80s. We haven't even come close to 100 this year. We usually have a handful of days in the upper 90s to low 100s. It's been so nice. We've even had less humid days, although this week has been pretty humid.

This time of year the black walnut leaves start to drop. They are usually the last leaves to come in and the first to go out. They are starting to drop and so are the poplar leaves. I think the poplar is dropping, however, because of the unusually wet weather we've had. They look like they may have a mildew-type thing going on. I'm not sure what diseases and fungi poplar trees get. Our tomatoes have blight, so maybe poplar can get it too?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I know I saw a segment one time that said the more rain you get throughout the summer the more intense the colors of the leave will be and the longer they will stay on the trees. I'm hoping since we've had rain like crazy mad here all summer that we will have bright orange yellow red and brown leaves for a while instead of there one day gone the next we see in hotter dryer years. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know here in Manchester it's been really cool for summer which is unusual because it's usually humid. The foliage is great up here so I can't wait until it starts changing!

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
Well, we have falling leaves here too, but it's just because everything is so dry and burnt!
We had a solid month of 100+ degree days with lots of days hovering around 107 or so. Thankfully, we are now getting rain this week and temps only around 90. Normally, I love summer weather but fall can't get here soon enough for me this year. I must be getting old!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My cottonwoods are dropping yellow leaves, but I don't know if it's a sign of fall or the 100 degree temps. When I lived in Arizona, my mother in Illinois would pick colored leaves, iron them with wax paper and send them to me!

·
Registered
68 Posts
No signs of fall in my neck of the woods yet. The intense heat has let off, however, it's still very hot out. The weather here is unpredictable between mid-August and Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This week I have really noticed it's getting lighter later in the morning. I haven't noticed/payed attention to it getting darker earlier in the evening, but I am sure it is. In a few weeks, the sun won't be up at 6:00 AM when I begin work. It's getting closer!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I insanely jealous of all you cold weather people! It's downright miserable here, and probably will be for at least another month. It usually stays pretty warm even well into November. There have been a few Christmases that we wore shorts. To me, a cool day is anything below 80 degrees. When we vacation in Maine, it's always heartbreaking to come home to the heat. One year in November, we left and it was 38 in Portland, Maine, and the perfect inverse, 83 in Houston. IN NOVEMBER!

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have had a nice break with rain last week, but we are back to 100 degree days!! Our fall usually is the leaves turn brown and fall off!! Sometimes we have a slight color change in leaves, but nothing this early!!

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Here in Tennessee, we get to pretty much experience all the seasons. Spring being the shortest I think. Except this year it was a long cool spring. I have been hating these 90+ degree temps we've been having but I just looked at my electric bill and realized it was way down from last year so I guess it is better than 100 or more. Still I can't wait till Fall. The colors here are always beautiful and the smell........:)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yuck! We are going to be in the 90s for the next 3-4 days! Last night, however, we got down to 59!! It felt like Fall when I got up this morning. Tomorrow I'll be thinking otherwise. I've been really enjoying this cooler Summer, hopefully these 90s won't last. Well, at least we haven't hit triple digits like we normally do!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was wondering where the heck you people lived! Cool summers? LMAO! We're on day #42 of triple-degree heat. It's officially the HOTTEST summer on record with no end in sight. We're also in severe drought....I see oranges and yellows all right, half the oaks on our property are dying. :( It's miserable down here. I love this part of the country, but this is a bad, bad year.

Stacy

1 - 20 of 68 Posts