Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever tried making shrunken heads using apples?

When I was a kid, there was a toy for sale that was basically a plastic chamber with a lightbulb for a heat source. You took cut-out designs and applied them to a peeled apple, then scraped away and carved out the remaining features. When you were done, you had something that resmbled a human head with holes for eyes.

Next you applied apple juice to certain areas then hung the apple in the warm chamber... A couple days later, the apple had browned and shrivelled up to about 1/2 or 1/3 its original size. The set also came with black, gray and white "hair" that would attach to the shrunken head to give it a finished appearance....

Anyone else remember that toy-- or ever make them on your own?

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Yeah, I had that kit! The chamber was a smokey brown, sorta see-through plastic. I STILL have one of my shrunken heads I made with it. I had given it to my Grandma, and shortly before she passed away, she gave it back to me. Needless to say, after 36 years, it has shrunken to about the size of a grape. I'll have to take a pic & post it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I had that kit! The chamber was a smokey brown, sorta see-through plastic. I STILL have one of my shrunken heads I made with it. I had given it to my Grandma, and shortly before she passed away, she gave it back to me. Needless to say, after 36 years, it has shrunken to about the size of a grape. I'll have to take a pic & post it.
Yeah-- that was it. I think it's amazing you still have one of them after all these years. Thinking about that toy made me think of another one I had where you made spiders and worms and that kinda' thing with a couldron that warmed up bottles of colored plastic that turned to a rubber-like consistency. Then you poured it into molds and a short time later you had a snake or whatever... lol

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Yeah-- that was it. I think it's amazing you still have one of them after all these years. Thinking about that toy made me think of another one I had where you made spiders and worms and that kinda' thing with a couldron that warmed up bottles of colored plastic that turned to a rubber-like consistency. Then you poured it into molds and a short time later you had a snake or whatever... lol
Yeah, Creepy Crawlers. Those, Incredible Edibles, and Shrinky-Dinks kept me entertained many a winter afternoon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts