Halloween Forum banner

9021 - 9032 of 9032 Posts

·
Undertaker
3,264 Posts
Gonna love them....Mine are allergic to oxygen, so I can't change out the food. I don't think it would matter. I removed most of the carpeting and put in a wood floor which, coincidently, caused the barfers to barf exclusively in the basement and unfortunately, on my props. There's some cat rule they have to follow, they are restricted from barfing on wooden floors....Must be a union thing...Go figure..

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,832 Posts
ohgaaawwwwddddd....they have unions now!??! We're screwed. Defnitely screwed.

To keep this on topic though, I STILL haven't gotten into my craft room so I've moved my cart with paint to the LR to do some Easter stuff & I'm doing some paper mache stuff in the kitchen. But that's where I've always done it. It's close to the water & easier to clean up.

·
Undertaker
3,264 Posts
Oh gawd its almost Easter...I feel like I'm still waiting for this movie to start.....Sigh.....I don't have a craft room. When I feel crafty I use the kitchen. I usually use that until the completion of the project or until my wounds heal. My wife is quick to let me know when its time to stop crafting.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been spending some time working on my pirate porch for 2020. The skeleton was supposed to be a groom, but he looks piratey enough for me. The lantern came from clearance at AC Moore. I wired it up using leftover parts from Christmas houses and added an LED flame bulb. For the plaques, I ordered some wood grain card stock for my laser printer. They are mounted on scrap wood using ModPodge. I cut the wood to size, then sanded and painted the edges black. The ship's wheel came from online, but it was less expensive than the cardboard photographer's prop used on cruise lines. I almost bought one before I realized that they are two dimensional. They look good in photos, but not so much close up. The base is made from OSB I had laying around, and held together with screws. It's powered by a reindeer motor, which I also had. The finish is wood grain shelf paper. It is not trimmed out yet, but as long as I was testing my progress, I thought I'd share. Some key points: Determine how high the wheel needs to be based upon the skeleton or dummy you will use to "steer". Make sure your captain has arms flexible enough so as to not interfere with the steering. My first choice was way too stiff! Clearances are critical! The motor is connected to the wheel by a plastic arm. The wheel needs to travel freely over, past, or short of the motor, depending how you set it up. There needs to be sufficient clearance for the arm to complete a cycle without hitting anything. If you box in the sides, as I did, make sure you allow clearance for the wheel to freely move. Luckily, I thought of all this before I finished assembly. Still, I did trim a little extra off during dry fit because it seemed just a little too close. I cut a hole in the back side to fish the electric cables through, allowing the motor to site relatively flat. There is a short pigtail female plug that I will use to power an up-shooting can light to illuminate the prop. The configuration of your motor, if you wish animation, may be slightly different than mine, so take some time to double check the alignment. I used temporary fasteners to run test cycles before Final assembly, and so should you. The length of arm you use will also impact design. It's probably about 80% done right now. I'll take some shots on Halloween to follow up. I'm currently engaged in discussions with the wife as to whether I'll do a split scene on the porch like usual (because we have center steps that allow for this) or have the pirates take over the whole thing.

Attachments

9021 - 9032 of 9032 Posts