Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Showcase your 2019 creations

New Year time for a new year of creating .
Showcase your creations here can not wait to see what people great this year

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,276 Posts

I've been dealing with tendinitis in my right shoulder and elbow for over two years. While recuperating I decided to explore quilting. Of course I had to incorporate Halloween into it! I will attempt to hand quilt it over the winter and hope to add some spiderwebs in the stitching.

Oh and forgive the weeds. It has rained so much in the last few weeks that some parts of the yard appear to be reverting back to wilderness. :D

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,276 Posts
IMG_2310.JPG

I've been taking a break from paper mache for quite a while. So I decided to take one of the many ideas floating around in my head and create some ornaments. One of the problems with paper mache ornaments is that they're generally a bit to heavy to hang on trees. These are pretty lightweight and can be completed easily in two days including painting and sealing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
View attachment 713087
I've been dealing with tendinitis in my right shoulder and elbow for over two years. While recuperating I decided to explore quilting. Of course I had to incorporate Halloween into it! I will attempt to hand quilt it over the winter and hope to add some spiderwebs in the stitching.

Oh and forgive the weeds. It has rained so much in the last few weeks that some parts of the yard appear to be reverting back to wilderness. :D
That's awesome.

·
Registered
166 Posts
View attachment 713087

That might literally be the coolest quilt I've ever laid eyes on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really like what you’ve done! I’m working on paper mache too. I found a blog for waterproof papermache that uses flexbond instead of glue. You say that you paint and seal them. Do you find that you are able to keep them outside for the season without being destroyed by the weather? The flexbond approach has been good, but I wonder if it is neccessary. It is a bit more expensive and much heavier than a standard papermache. Just curious about your results with just sealing them. Do you use a polyurethane to seal?

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,276 Posts
I really like what you’ve done! I’m working on paper mache too. I found a blog for waterproof papermache that uses flexbond instead of glue. You say that you paint and seal them. Do you find that you are able to keep them outside for the season without being destroyed by the weather? The flexbond approach has been good, but I wonder if it is neccessary. It is a bit more expensive and much heavier than a standard papermache. Just curious about your results with just sealing them. Do you use a polyurethane to seal?
Thank you! The ornaments will be strictly for indoor use, so I just used a spray polyurethane sealer. I have used spar varnish on anything I think will be exposed to water but honestly my stuff is only out for a day or two.

I have thought about using Titebond II glue and water but never have. I did however accidentally get a few drops of that glue on one of my good T-shirts and it is still there after three years and numerous washings. Jonni Good of ultimatepapermache.com recently made some masks using Titebond III with good results.

Would love if you could share the blog you are referring to as I love learning new techniques.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you! The ornaments will be strictly for indoor use, so I just used a spray polyurethane sealer. I have used spar varnish on anything I think will be exposed to water but honestly my stuff is only out for a day or two.

I have thought about using Titebond II glue and water but never have. I did however accidentally get a few drops of that glue on one of my good T-shirts and it is still there after three years and numerous washings. Jonni Good of ultimatepapermache.com recently made some masks using Titebond III with good results.

Would love if you could share the blog you are referring to as I love learning new techniques.
Thank you for the link, I am on my phone and for some reason can’t get the link. If you’re curious it is on www.instructables.com or search “outdoor papermache easter island head.” It sounds very similar but with the addition of using flexbond. Can’t wait to see more of what you’ll do!

·
Registered
150 Posts
So how do you make those? I want to have some kind of a base for my Halloween posts. I take it you have some kind of a mould and pour the concrete in, and then when the concrete dries the outer shell can be broken or peeled off like plastic?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts