Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the projects I add to every year is the Curiosities or Oddities Cabinet. Well, I don't really have a cabinet for them, but rather a display area. In any case, it has been fun to come up with new items to display there. I know lots of other members have made items for their cabinets, so I thought it would be fun to share photos and ideas.

The first one I will share is the Fiji Mermaid that I made based on the tutorial thread made by TheMonsterSquad. My husband built the wooden stand for her, which I stained and added a little sign.

I have more photos, but I am hoping you will jump in and add some of your creations here as well. Thanks!!

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a couple of items on display that were made by other HF members. Here is a Louisiana Voodoo Doll made by Kelloween. I snapped it up from her Etsy shop as soon as I saw it. :)

And, I have another type of Fiji mermaid that I also love. It was made by Bethany and given to me in a SR exchange. The teeth and claws are awesome.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting, Doto. That is exactly what I am talking about, things in jars, cages and display cases, skulls, and all your other cool curiosities! You have such a wonderful collection!!

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lots of great ideas here. Thanks, punkineater, for joining in! I like the way you put the material underneath the shrunken head in the cloche. I need to add something like that to mine so it won't look so hokey. :eek:

Another idea I had was to include one or two small items from previous haunt themes, instead of just packing them away. Like our circus monkey.

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Ahhhh... Home Sweet Home! PIB, Doto, and Punkineater, I love each and every one of your takes on a Wunderkammer. Eventually most of my living and workspace will be given over to displaying my oddities, but for now they are just random disconnected things here, there, and everywhere (including, sadly, storage boxes). For now I plan to luxuriate in looking at everyone's beautiful assemblages.

Punkineater, hand over that mummy with partially exposed skull and nobody gets hurt :D

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahhhh... Home Sweet Home! PIB, Doto, and Punkineater, I love each and every one of your takes on a Wunderkammer. Eventually most of my living and workspace will be given over to displaying my oddities, but for now they are just random disconnected things here, there, and everywhere (including, sadly, storage boxes). For now I plan to luxuriate in looking at everyone's beautiful assemblages.

Punkineater, hand over that mummy with partially exposed skull and nobody gets hurt :D
OK, BlueFrog, you made me look up my word for the day, Wunderkammer. But, that's :cool:.

And I agree, punkineater's mummy head is pretty scary :cool:.

Here's another one that I made for a SR gift. Lady Sherry now owns this Petrified Bat specimen.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A two-headed anything is a very cool oddity, Bethany. BTW, I know you have some cabinets to show, and was wondering when we get to see them?!

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
0120141618.jpg 0929141004.jpg IMG_6449.jpg IMG_6499.jpg IMG_6475.jpg IMG_6480.jpg

I love my cabinets. I didn't post a picture of the one in Choice Cuts Chop Shop. But all of these are still filled as is. Too much work to pack them up each year.

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
For those interested in the history of wunderkammen and other precursors to the modern museum, it's worth searching Amazon books (or equivalent) for keywords such as Cabinets of Wonder and Cabinets of Curiosity. I also recommend Stephen Jay Gould's "Finders, Keepers: Eight Collectors" even if only for its deliriously creepy early chapter(s) (I find the whole work quite an enjoyable read but the later chapters are less adaptable to our uses).

As I said earlier, my space isn't remotely set up but hopefully these pictures give you a sneak peek of coming attractions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 143 Posts