Halloween Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1598 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
How do you spray paint Styrofoam without it melting?

Scarab
You need a sealing base coat first. A coat of primer like Drylok or Kilz works, or just any light colored latex paint will do. You can check your local paint stores and big box stores for discounted paints and mis-tinted paints for cheap.

Once you have a layer over the foam, you can use other kinds of paints or chemicals safely. However, I will advise against using spraypaints because they don't give good enough results. All my tombstones have been brush painted. Some rag painting, and a few attempts with a 3" mini roller for certain effects. And the best stone work came from using those big yellow tilework sponges, tearing them in half, and using the torn surfaces for dabbing and sponging colors together.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You all have done such amazing work. Mine are not done but here they are so far! I am
Hoping to finish them tomorrow. They are huge. Made with plywood and 2 x 4s. They are heavy so hopefully they stay put.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is my first ever tombstone attempt finished 2 days ago, 4 more to go, hopefully i'll finish them this weekend, I was pretty happy with it until I saw the ones above. They look amazing.
IMG_2571.jpg

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,574
Here is my first ever tombstone attempt finished 2 days ago, 4 more to go, hopefully i'll finish them this weekend, I was pretty happy with it until I saw the ones above. They look amazing.
View attachment 572025
This looks great. Nothing like home made stones in comparison to the over priced crap sold at the Halloween stores. I had an "Eileen Dover" stone as well, coupled with "Ben Dover". The funny names are always a crowd favorite.. You got some nice aging and streaking on this too. Nice job!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My first tombstone effort, I though I was doing good until I saw some of the others in this thread, you guys are amazing. Something to aspire to for next season. Anyway below is my first one ever.

Stone 1.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
My latest effort, it's my first year of making tomb stones and I made 5 of them, my Eileen Dover is pictured in a previous post, this is the last one for this year.

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finished making my first headstones. I wanted something very durable so I made them from plywood. They average 16" W x 22" H x 1.5" D and weight a few pounds. They were carved on a CNC wood router, two coats of exterior oil-based primer, hand painted, and clear top coat. The picket fence was made from scrap material. Overall graveyard display is 9' L x 5' D.

Attachments

1561 - 1580 of 1598 Posts
About this Discussion
1.6K Replies
392 Participants
Witchful Thinking
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing