Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks. My dual-Perfect Storm unit (two 500 watt halogens + two 500 watt photoflood flash bulbs), Mausoleum, lighting up backyard trees with red and green laser spots, and other items are causing kids to run over areas of the yard that present a tripping hazard. Going cemetery-fence-free is no longer an option, since I plan on expanding my yard haunt out even further.

I've got about two weeks left of Father-in-Law "free build" time (in-laws are snowbirds and passing through), and providing him with a large cemetery fence project would be a great project for him to keep busy. I'm thinking part wood, part PVC pipe. Or all PVC? What's "best"--either in terms of stability, cost, or a combo of both?

Anyhoo... So, I'd like to see what folks have built / suggest for creating a cemetery fence. Cost is definitely a factor. I know some have used free pallets to build their cemetery fences. Any good sources in the Raleigh, NC area for free pallets? But also thinking about easy set-up and take down too... Interested in your advice.

The fencing itself doesn't have to *look* elaborately themed. What's most important to me is protecting trick-or-treaters from a tripping hazard.

Here are a few videos to give you an idea of what I have now and what type of space I may need to enclose. I think kids are seeing the Gemmy Blue Kaleidoscope Spotlight on the side of my house (never lit / haunted the side of my house that faces a street corner) and then running up to the house that way, through part of the graveyard.

Even considered asking father-in-law to create some buried conduit that would run the extension cables from the side of the house underground to the Dead Center of the graveyard. If anyone has ideas / photos / videos of doing that to further prevent tripping hazards, please post.

Daylight:

Semi-darkness:

Full darkness:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Father-in-law free build window of opportunity shortening - more tutorial suggestions

My father-in-law won't be staying with us much longer. And I need to keep him busy with Halloween builds for 2015.
Would be nice to provide a "parts list" he can take to Lowes Hardware--he loves Lowes vs. Home Depot--and get cranking.

So, does anyone else have Cemetery Fence tutorials they can share? Just want a few more to choose from. Then let him loose. :)

Again, chief design elements are:

* Easy / quick take down
* Does not have to be elaborately detailed

Are pallet-based fences easy to take down than the PVC pipe ones? Where can I source some free pallets? He's got a large SUV that he hauls a Snow-bird trailer with, so I now have access to a "truck" type vehicle. But only for a week more; two more at the latest. Gotta seize the opportunity since my wife and I own tiny hatchbacks...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Believe it or not I was actually able to score four sections of wrought iron fence from a local scrap yard very cheap and they worked out great.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I made this back in 2008. The columns are builders Styrofoam wrapped around Shelving board boxes. The backs are open so I can hide my lights, power strips etc... there are 4 shelves spaced out on the inside. each shelf has a hole in the middle so the whole thing just slides down over an Metal fence pole driven into the ground so it cant be tipped over.

The gateway was cut from a single sheet of plywood so I could get a little fancier. The fencing that connect the columns are made from scrape wood I had left over from a remodel. For stability, I cut out a Fleur de lis in a rectangle to glue and nail in the center for diagonal support. I screw them to the backs of the column. I lean all the fence panels against the walls during the off season and stack the columns in front so it doesn't take up much space.

Over I have used several different thing to block off the yard including rope (which they wanted to lean against) to Bamboo.

Pallets aren't hard to find. I get the best pallets from a local kitchen cabinet store and a Kawasaki dealership (they get HUGE pallets - 6' x10'). Just call around, most people are giving them away just to get them out of their way.

Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just went really simple with my cemetery fence. Just used a whole lot of 1x2s, a nail gun, circular saw and some spray paint. I made it in 8 foot sections. So just two pieces of 8' 1x2 board and then made the "spindles" about 48" and tacked them on about every 6". Spray paint them and you've got a section. I have 10 sections and to put up the fence I pound rebar in the ground between two sections and then use 11" black zip ties to connect the sections to each other and the rebar. Works great, has stood up to pretty high winds over the years and has never failed. It looks good and keeps the kids out of the yard.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I built my fence strictly out of PVC. The good thing is that it is easy to put up and store. I can also easily reconfigure the fence since the segments are just 8 inches each. To put it up the pipes just snap together. The downside is that the 4 way connectors are expensive. Here is a picture of the gate I built to accompany the fence.

Gate Pict.jpg

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everything everyone has posted looks great! Thanks for sharing. I'm a huge fan of HM, and so really like both the tribute to HM; and the build simplicity of a chain fence. Good job! After Christmas, I purchased a dozen or so black ornament holders on clearance from a Tobacco / Bargain Outlet store here in North Carolina, most with fleur de lis toppers, thinking I might use them rather than an all-out fence. Seems like put up and take down would be a lot easier.

Easy, inexpensive and easy to store = chain fence. We do a HM tribute so the bat stanchions were my theme but you could do any top.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
33 Participants
Crunch
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing