Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok that should get some attention and I need ideas for how to make a hat!
I can't find the kind of hat I want for a mourning woman costume so I think I'm going to have to resort to making one. Since I'm craft challenged, I need ideas!

MsM

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Hallow -- and what are you "in mourning for?" Skyline? Graeter's? Montgomery Inn Ribs? :D

Oh - well - a hat you say? And NOT a witches one, right? How about a pill box style with layers of black netting sweeping down across the face? You may be able to find some fabric netting that has the spiders or web design and is very see-through. Then crown it at the side where the netting gathers with a spider. You could be a sort of Black Widow in morning for hubby #13. Those "I do" kisses at the alter can be deadly! hee hee. Well - that's all my brain can crank out now. Back to work I go. . . Can't wait to see what you come up with.
BOO!

·
My Wonderland is in Ruins
660 Posts
I found my mourning hat in a thrift store. I've also made one for a charity raffle last year from a craft top hat. I didn't get any photos of it though I really wish I did.
here's a birthday one I did get photos of. But you could use dark ribbon to go around it. Make several different lengths of toule for the veil. Decorate it with some feathers and trinkets. sorry for the huge photos. T-T

and a steampunk one I made doll sized. The felt hats are at Michaels and the big ones are around $4. Attatch everything with some fabric tac and boom a victorian-esque mourning hat. To keep it attatched to your hair you could stitch a hair clip to the inside with black thread or fabric tac some black elastic string to the inside and wear it under your hair. Hope I helped a bit and I can't wait to see piccys too. :D

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Susie- I'm starting to like you less and less haha montgomery inn ribs!!! That was a low blow!

Atelier*Motives- thanks for the tips and not mentioning cincinnati foods :) I've been to all the thrift stores in town and also checked out the dutch version of a craig's list. Couldn't find anything :( We have ONE craft store in town....a small one, I'll see if they have any basic hats that you can build on. Hadn't thought of going to a craft store. Oh and your doll is darling!

MsM

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,334 Posts
I'm currently searching the same thing!

I'm going to be a black widow, and I was wanting one of the wide brimmed hats trimmed with black veiling and lots of black lace and roses...

I collect vintage hats, so I'm going to be looking to see if any of the black ones I already have can be modded, but I don't have any wide brimmed ones, darnit.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Maybe you would like me again if....

Susie- I'm starting to like you less and less haha montgomery inn ribs!!! That was a low blow!

Atelier*Motives- thanks for the tips and not mentioning cincinnati foods :) I've been to all the thrift stores in town and also checked out the dutch version of a craig's list. Couldn't find anything :( We have ONE craft store in town....a small one, I'll see if they have any basic hats that you can build on. Hadn't thought of going to a craft store. Oh and your doll is darling!

MsM

. . . I sent you some Busken pumpkin face cookies!?! (yes, I am serious!!) I don't know about sending to the Netherlands - but it can't be any more trouble than sending a package to Haiti - which I have been known to do! :) Soo - you heard me -- PM your address and I'll get a gift out to you asap! Far be it for me to stand in the way of a Cincinnati Food Lover and her passion!! (Think of it as a belated Reaper Gift. I don't even know what that game was - but everybody's loot sure looked nice! ;) and anyway -- even if you don't like the cookies, you can always turn them into a prop - or hot glue them to your hat! ) BOO!

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
I'm currently searching the same thing!

I'm going to be a black widow, and I was wanting one of the wide brimmed hats trimmed with black veiling and lots of black lace and roses...

I collect vintage hats, so I'm going to be looking to see if any of the black ones I already have can be modded, but I don't have any wide brimmed ones, darnit.

Hallow and Happy Tuesday FG! Can't wait to see how YOUR hat turns out as well!! Everyone is sooo creative on this Forum! I am luvin' it! :D
BOO!

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,638 Posts
Susie Boo, why don't you send her the hat she needs with the cookies? LOL. So that way if she doesn't like the cookies she'll at least have the hat. LOL

(Secret Reaper means the same thing as Secret Pal, Secret Sister, Secret Santa...etc. You get a name no one knows who has who's name and send them a present.)

Atelier...those hats are wonderful...reminds me of the hats I was really wanting on Art of Adornment - Online Catalogue Thanks for the idea that I couldn't come up with myself. P.S. the jewelry is wonderful too. Wish I could make those.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Susie Boo, why don't you send her the hat she needs with the cookies? LOL. So that way if she doesn't like the cookies she'll at least have the hat. LOL

(Secret Reaper means the same thing as Secret Pal, Secret Sister, Secret Santa...etc. You get a name no one knows who has who's name and send them a present.)

Atelier...those hats are wonderful...reminds me of the hats I was really wanting on Art of Adornment - Online Catalogue Thanks for the idea that I couldn't come up with myself. P.S. the jewelry is wonderful too. Wish I could make those.

Ahh!! Great idea!! And thanks for the Secret Reaper insight. I thought it may be something like that! This Forum crowd sure knows how to brighten a person's day! I hope they put me on the list for next time... I have a case of Skyine Chili waiting to go somewhere... hee hee
:D BOO!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great idea si-cotik! haha you just moved up a few notches in my book (took susie's place haha)

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
. . . I sent you some Busken pumpkin face cookies!?! (yes, I am serious!!) I don't know about sending to the Netherlands - but it can't be any more trouble than sending a package to Haiti - which I have been known to do! :) Soo - you heard me -- PM your address and I'll get a gift out to you asap! Far be it for me to stand in the way of a Cincinnati Food Lover and her passion!! (Think of it as a belated Reaper Gift. I don't even know what that game was - but everybody's loot sure looked nice! ;) and anyway -- even if you don't like the cookies, you can always turn them into a prop - or hot glue them to your hat! ) BOO!
oh oh oh, feeling twinges of guilt for torturing me, eh? haha
Forget the cookies, you got me wanting the ribs now lol

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I googled 'how to make a hat' and came up with this. Thought I'd share it since others are needing hates too! On the threadbangers site, they have MANY other projects as well including making a hat block, halloween costumes and a body form similiar to the duct tape double that vile things makes. And they are pretty funny to watch!

YouTube - How-to Make a Pill Box Hat, Threadbanger

·
660 Posts
Well I googled 'how to make a hat' and came up with this. Thought I'd share it since others are needing hates too! On the threadbangers site, they have MANY other projects as well including making a hat block, halloween costumes and a body form similiar to the duct tape double that vile things makes. And they are pretty funny to watch!

Ooh this reminded me; I have a hat making book! *smacks head* If anyone would need a pattern for a pillbox hat, engineer cap, cloche, or sun hat let me know. :D

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm jealous! :(
Be sure to post pics after you add to it :)

MsM

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Any hat would probably do if you were able to add veiling and maybe a black rose, spiders, or small skele hands. I like the idea of a pill box hat

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
In one of her video's Katie Perry had a crystal barette with a face veil, it looked good and would be easy to do if you can get hold of some tulle/netting

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which video? Might be worth checking out :)

·
660 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts