Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every year I struggle with getting fog around the yard. Here's my setup. Now I know why I'm only getting fog in one place (I only have one hose) but I wanted to see how others were tackling this problem. I have 2 foggers going into one chiller and they were both set up on timers so they were flowing intermittently. The amount of fog was good but I only had it in one place. I put it in the middle since wind was carrying it in all directions.

Just looking for your brilliant ideas on having a yard full of fog.

IMG_20141031_173121.jpg

Thanks!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
i just use the corrugated drainage pipe stuff with holes cut into the corrugation so that fog comes out everywhere along the pipe ... is that what u're using? i cant tell from the pic

amk
That would be French Drain Pipe. I have used that before. It has two rows of holes and I taped over one of the rolls and taped three sections of the pipe together..I haven't done it in a while as i now use individual foggers for certain props.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had left over tubing from a fountain I built. I cut it in half, spaced out some holes in the sides, and duct taped them both to my low lying fogger. I put it in the corner of my yard and put one tube on each side. It spread out pretty nicely. I had to remember to go out and throw more ice in there though so it would stay low.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love to see that set-up!
HM
Yeah, me too. I'd think the soaker hose would be too thin and would just shoot the fog out the other end.

i just use the corrugated drainage pipe stuff with holes cut into the corrugation so that fog comes out everywhere along the pipe ... is that what u're using? i cant tell from the pic

amk

I'm using the solid corrugated pipe, but I drilled several holes along it. Hardly any fog comes out at all along the length of the pipe. Most of all of it comes out at the end like in my picture.

·
Registered
228 Posts
it would work if you plugged up the end either all the way or if you still want fog to come out the end put a few holes in the cap

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it would work if you plugged up the end either all the way or if you still want fog to come out the end put a few holes in the cap
Has anybody done this? Does anyone have pics of their setup? I'd like to see how much fog actually gets through the soaker hose.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Two things. One may improve distribution, the other definitely will.

The surefire gimmick is to attach a box at the end of the outlet hose. The hose empties into the box, then the fog is distributed through a half inch high slot cut along the bottom edge of a side face of box. The wide, narrow gap of the slot provides a much wider hand fan shaped arc of distribution compared to the cone shaped distribution you normally get from the end of the hose. However, I don't know how well the box will work with more than one face having a slot. Presumably you could get some impressive distribution if the box has the hose entering one side face and the fog exiting slots on the other three side faces.

In theory, you can cut the box down to a low profile, only a few inches high, or even disguise it as a grave marker type tombstone.

The less likely to succeed gimmick is an air gap. Many stagehands swear that foggers work better if there is a gap between the fogger nozzle and the entry hose, so the fog can "grab some air" to flow better. Another thing that supposedly helps is a fat hose or pipe rather than a narrow one.

As for the french drain pipe, that was the genesis of the ground fog curtain. These days, when someone says "fog curtain" one thinks of the overhead type that produces a nice, steady, solid curtain of fog for video projection. But in the 80's, it was a pipe with a single row of holes drilled in it (1/4 to 3/8 inch holes, spaced 2-3 inches apart, sometimes two rows of smaller holes no more than an inch between the rows with the holes staggered). The 80's version was used to produce fairly dense smoke curtains for people to walk through, mainly in music videos.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I'm using the solid corrugated pipe, but I drilled several holes along it. Hardly any fog comes out at all along the length of the pipe. Most of all of it comes out at the end like in my picture.
You'd have to cap off the end of the pipe to force the fog out of the much smaller hose.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Second the air gap. I had originally had a gap on my tube going to my cannons, but when I added more cannons I jammed the hose on the fogger. Then I spent a few hours trying to figure out why I only got fog from just one cannon, whichever one had the least path of air resistance. When I was at wits end I jokingly put the air gap back and had fog from all cannon bores again. Blimey...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts